Sometimes items just don't get generated

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th August 2014, 23:59

Sometimes items just don't get generated

Playing a DDAs of Makhleb, cleared Dungeon, Lair, Orc, Spider, Swamp, Depths, Elf, Crypt, Blade, Vaults, Zot 1:4. Haven't yet seen amulets of conservation, resist corrosion, faith, resist mutation or warding. Guardian spirit was found on Zot:4.

Yellow dracs corroded my pair of boots from +2 to -2. So I do Ctrl-f boots on Zot:4 and find out that it's the only pair of boots in the whole game so far. There's a naga barding for sale on Orc:2 and a centaur barding on Spider:2. Now I'm on Zot:5 without boots.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 00:02

Re: Sometimes items just don't get generated

I had an ogre win with 13 runes who was hatless, I repeat, hatless.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
and into, Lyrick

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 00:10

I ran a TSOite who blessed a battleaxe because I didn't have an executioner's axe. Naturally, I found one diving through Zot -- after having gotten 15 runes and killing 7/8 demon lords with the battleaxe.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 00:59

They're generated... it's just that you have to do 27 zigs before finding them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 16:41

Sprucery wrote:Yellow dracs corroded my pair of boots from +2 to -2.

Play .15 or trunk and that won't happen.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 23:43

Whenever 0.15 for OSX is released, sure. And I won't miss item destruction either.
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 02:42

Sprucery wrote:Whenever 0.15 for OSX is released, sure. And I won't miss item destruction either.

Why won't you play online? Does Webtiles work in Safari? If you play tiles, then the Webtiles interface is superior to the local version, IMO. The scaling and the fonts are cleaner, I think.

On the down side, player ghosts can suck. (Not from personal experience, or anything.)

As to the OP, I recently had a character reach level 16 with only one ring found, period. I thought that was weird

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 05:58

Aule wrote:Why won't you play online?

1) I play with a laptop without internet connection 2) I would hate other players' ghosts 3) I couldn't stand lag, if there would be some

As to the OP, I recently had a character reach level 16 with only one ring found, period. I thought that was weird

Well, at least you weren't playing an octopode ;)

Barkeep

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 06:53

Sprucery wrote:Whenever 0.15 for OSX is released, sure. And I won't miss item destruction either.

Is your laptop always offline? I'm a certified idiot, but I didn't have much trouble compiling crawl on my own on OS X. You just have to download some junk, write some other junk in the terminal, and voila.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 07:20

I could do that, yes. I've compiled some versions of Stone Soup some years ago myself because of some terminal-related issues.

But for now, the latest official release suffices for me. I have so little time to play anyway (+ I'm a slow player), I haven't even played one game with a vine stalker or formicid yet... To me it feels like new versions are being released quite often :)

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 11:49

Well, yeah. That's statistics. Any probabilistic event can be generated with such an unlikely infrequency, because the probability is per-item-placement, not per-game.

Personally I recall a 3-rune win that didn't find a +0 or better cloak until Zot:3, which seems profoundly silly given the usual commonness of cloaks.

You can also see this kind of thing more commonly with potions and scrolls: you have a stack of 4 unided potions, and another stack of 7 unided potions, the remainder are stacks of 1. They're probably !HW and !curing.. but they turn out to be !cmut and !poison, and great wat-ing ensues.

It's possible to modify item generation so that there are in fact a minimum amount of <item type> generated per N levels. Personally I feel such a behaviour should be extremely restricted (to food and !hw, probably)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th August 2014, 12:15

I'm all for randomness, it makes games interesting. I think it was the same game where wands of frost and flame were among the last 4 or 5 unidentified types.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 22nd August 2014, 22:07

I just finished a 3 rune game where I didn't find an amulet of clarity the entire game. Also no source of blink until Vault:5.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner