What would make winning crawl impossible?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 13:34

What would make winning crawl impossible?

Which changes would be necessary to make winning crawl completely impossible?

Alright, hell sentinels guarding all the stairs/hatches/shafts in D:1 would be an idea but this might be too obvious...

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 13:43

Re: What would make winning crawl impossible?

Removing autoexplore and autofight.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
braveplatypus, Lasty, Turukano

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 13:44

Disabling application start-up and revoking internet access.
Last edited by XuaXua on Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 13:45

This question has a near infinite number of answers, including obvious ones like:

* Make all monster attacks against the player always hit and deal fatal damage.
* Remove the up stairs on D1.
* Remove all stairs.
* Remove the orb.
* Crash whenever you load the game.

The most minimal change that would make the game impossible to win would probably involve generating all monsters awake and making the player have permanent mark status and also giving some large buff to monsters. If it's possible to sneak, then pretty much no sane amount of monster buffing would make the game actually impossible as opposed to ludicrously hard.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 13:58

Code:
###
#@#
###

There is a staircase leading out of the dungeon here.

And AK/CK/Fo removed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 14:06

Sar wrote:Removing autoexplore and autofight.

Everything must be so easy for you kids. Now let me tell you about the good old days...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 14:15

An improvement of the monster AI would make the game next to impossible. Imagine orc priests smiting every turn, centaurs kiting, summoners always summoning...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 14:40

Magipi wrote:An improvement of the monster AI would make the game next to impossible. Imagine orc priests smiting every turn, centaurs kiting, summoners always summoning...

When you enhance AI, you also need to set realistic monster limitations, like giving them MP, piety, a loss and recovery rate, etc.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 14:42

AI improved as in when the first hobgoblin spots you he rushes downstairs to call all of the orb guardians

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
LJFCAT

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 15:02

Replace Crawl by Global Thermonuclear War.

For this message the author Zooty has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 16:12

Removing DD

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 16:41

dck wrote:AI improved as in when the first hobgoblin spots you he rushes downstairs to call all of the orb guardians

Don't get me started on how I used to totally screw over all my Advanced Hero Quest players whenever they rolled a room sentinel (the only "monster" that allows the game master to open unexplored doors).

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 20:18

k i wont

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 20:26

dck wrote:k i wont

Man, they would break into a room and roll that sucker up, and I'd tag the sentinel base with a color and write it down so I knew which one it was, but they didn't and I'd make sure in set-up re-arrangement that he was at or near the door and everyone else was tactically laid out to prevent fireballs, or sometimes I'd put him off to the side and make it look like a non-sentinel was going for the door. Then when the turn came, wham; that sucker'd fly out the door and the elf player would have to run around the outside of the room or through it (if possible) and try to put an arrow in him. Generally I'd get at least one room open; the specials times were when subsequent rooms had sentinels. This one time I freed up 4 of them and we pretty much mapped out the entire dungeon across 2 tables just from them having opened the first room. Flood of skaven on those players. They had to abandon that quest.

Good times.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 21:12

Turukano wrote:Which changes would be necessary to make winning crawl completely impossible?

Alright, hell sentinels guarding all the stairs/hatches/shafts in D:1 would be an idea but this might be too obvious...

Formicids could shaft to D:2 though!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 21:56

yeah, but then you would need to win with a Fo.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 22:06

All backgrounds start with Qazlal at sufficiently noisy piety level. You begin the game at depths 1 and cannot go back to the main dungeon until you have the orb.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 22:11

Give me a troll and a few good hours.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 23:06

Not really sure what the point of this thread is but it seems like the OP was asking for actually subtle answers as opposed to the obvious stuff posted. That said not sure there is a way to make the game technically impossible without being obvious. And I don't have any ideas that differ from what's been posted.

@Xua, sounds like your Advanced Hero Quest game role was more Adversary than Game Master. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what your players want. :) Mine would have mutinied. (And some did complain occasionally when they died to something stupid like entering a dragon's lair they were previously warned about.)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 23:15

Make Zot:5 regenerate monsters infinitely every time you uncover or re-uncover (after it has moved out of LoS) every tile in it. You can't lure and kill things one by one from the vault anymore - but it's so jam packed in normal play that the player might not even notice for some time that it's going on!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 01:50

Patashu wrote:Make Zot:5 regenerate monsters infinitely every time you uncover or re-uncover (after it has moved out of LoS) every tile in it. You can't lure and kill things one by one from the vault anymore - but it's so jam packed in normal play that the player might not even notice for some time that it's going on!

Disjunction + shatter + vehumet + teleninja?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 02:24

All characters start the game with incurable deterioration 3, potions of restore abilities and rings of sustain abilities are removed from the game.

This has the absolutely insidious side effect of making a mummy of Chei the strongest combo in the game. I suppose it would be technically possible to win if you could get to level 13 and restore your stats. But I think that's close enough to impossible to count.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 03:09

With deterioration 3 and normal stat recovery you lose an average of 1 stat point every 400 turns; if you are a deep dwarf then it is an average of 1 every 285.7 turns. DD starts with 39 stat points; Sp starts with 36.

285.7*39 = 11142.3 turns
400*36 = 14400 turns
  Code:
jeanjacques the Faith Healer (L18 DDHe of Elyvilon), escaped with the Orb and 3 runes on 2013-05-07 22:27:03, with 6429763 points after 9468 turns and 1:48:56.

Code:
qwqw the Bewitcher (L14 SpEn of Jiyva), escaped with the Orb and 3 runes on 2010-08-31 23:55:18, with 4299119 points after 14318 turns and 1:39:33.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 11:27

Come on, where are the interesting suggestions?

* Sudden death mode : the player and all monsters have exactly 1 HP.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 15:16

duvessa wrote:With deterioration 3 and normal stat recovery you lose an average of 1 stat point every 400 turns; if you are a deep dwarf then it is an average of 1 every 285.7 turns. DD starts with 39 stat points; Sp starts with 36.

285.7*39 = 11142.3 turns
400*36 = 14400 turns
  Code:
jeanjacques the Faith Healer (L18 DDHe of Elyvilon), escaped with the Orb and 3 runes on 2013-05-07 22:27:03, with 6429763 points after 9468 turns and 1:48:56.

Code:
qwqw the Bewitcher (L14 SpEn of Jiyva), escaped with the Orb and 3 runes on 2010-08-31 23:55:18, with 4299119 points after 14318 turns and 1:39:33.

Your maths seems to rely on two mistakes :
- you don't need to get all your stats drained, one is enough to be very painful
285.7*36 = 10285.2
400*33 = 13200
- stat drained are random, a SpWz could see only str drained...

Moreover having all stat to 0 doesn't mean you can't win, theorically...

Great build idea ever : Naga of Chei with all stats drained, that means speed 22.4 speed delay :o SLOUCH !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 18:29

I intentionally came up with something that would appear to be possible rather than "hell sentinels on d:1" because it's more interesting. Also, you'd be able to actually start playing before it slowly became increasingly impossible and eventually died. I don't think he would be able to keep up the same progression and win the game in 9k turns with deteriorating stats, especially if one hits 0 considerably earlier as mopi said. To be fair, pacification doesn't rely on stats and so it would be one of the best ways to deal with the deterioration.

I think the thread's more interesting if you're a bit more underhanded and devious about the premise :)

Also if it wasn't clear we'd remove the restore stats from ely's purification - the goal was to remove any way to restore stats, I didn't cover all of the cases in the above. Mummy self restore is funny because you're a mummy, but if you really wanted to make it impossible they would have to have that removed too :)

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 19:04

Mod note: After receiving a report, deleted an uncalled for comment in an otherwise good post. Even CYC has (some, low) standards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 20:29

that post is meaningless without the joke...now it just looks like the worst post in this thread, even worse than yours. delete the whole thing next time please

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 22:07

"joke"
take it easy

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 22:52

I thought folks could delete their own posts, if not report it with a deletion request and I'll be happy to do so (even if this makes my post the worst in the thread!). However, when deletions are called for, I generally try to be as parsimonious and narrow as possible, and that's unlikely to change in the future.

Can this go back to being just another goofy thread in CYC instead of a goofy but oddly flame-y thread, now?

EDIT vv Huh good to know. Well if anyone wants to delete one of their own posts but can't for whatever reason, just report your own post and say "delete" and mods will do it pretty soon.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 22:55

and into wrote:I thought folks could delete their own posts

They can, but there's some opaque restrictions on it. I think it either needs to be the most recent post, or needs to have been made no more than X minutes ago, or something like that. It never really says.

e.g. I can't delete this post, but I have deleted posts before.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
and into

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 00:56

I'm pretty sure it's "You can't delete a post that has been viewed by anyone else."
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 03:11

Hopeless wrote:@Xua, sounds like your Advanced Hero Quest game role was more Adversary than Game Master.

Plain Jane GM'ing AHQ is like playing chess solo against a team of 3-4 other players at once, but with more pieces, and we all agreed playing strict to the die roll. They got plenty of treasure due to my mistakes failing to play intelligently, so when I got thrown a bone, I ran with it. I set the anti-cheat rules so that when I played as a player and someone else GM'd it, the system in place worked (tagging a base of a special character, and writing it down on a sheet put to the side before room arrangement began).

The Skaven Dungeon Flood was one of those experiences that we talk about more, years later, than ever finding any part of the goal amulet or challenging the Lich King. And it taught all of us lessons - sentinels kick ass, so take out anything that runs (or even fake runs) to the door, and abuse the heck out of it if you can. It's an in-game mechanic and you're supposed to use it as such, especially when 4 overpowered heroes break into a room of 3-4 under-armed lowly rat people. Power in numbers.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 06:32

XuaXua wrote:
Magipi wrote:An improvement of the monster AI would make the game next to impossible. Imagine orc priests smiting every turn, centaurs kiting, summoners always summoning...

When you enhance AI, you also need to set realistic monster limitations, like giving them MP, piety, a loss and recovery rate, etc.

Still a very interesting thought, though. How I loath Orc Priests, but less than I used to.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 07:16

How has no one brought up 'by playing Zermakocrawl' yet?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 10:21

Doesn't qw win at that sometimes?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 11:27

stickyfingers wrote:Doesn't qw win at that sometimes?

Exhibit A:
  Code:
 40453 | Depths:1 | 40453 ||| INVOKING BIA.

Exhibit B:
  Code:
 zermako[17/27]: <Zermako> nothing i could do  <cptwinky> bros in arms?  <Zermako> i keep forgetting about it

I rest my case, Your Honour

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner