Why is PC gaming so bad now days

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 05:35

Why is PC gaming so bad now days

I find myself dumb founded by how far PC gaming has fallen in the last decades. Sure you can see some pretty pictures in adds and promo videos but games now are all so bug ridden. Seams to me that it was better when DOS was king, and software had to be right when shipped. Now everything is just provided as steaming piles of code that work half the time, if your lucky. They expect players to find there errors and then they will patch it, if they can or find the time. It is no wonder that most people use consoles for gaming now.

Kind of funny that home gaming started with software in cartridges in consoles, then went to disc in apple, then disc in IBM, then download, and now its back to disc in a console. Since bell bottoms came back maybe I can hope DOS will become a hot new fade and save gaming. :P
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
●→ Wins: MiFi,MiGl DsFi HoBe DDHu DECj DrCj ←●
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 05:56

Re: Why is PC gaming so bad now days

Because the big figures in the gaming industry have decided to spend less on development to rack in bigger figures.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 08:58

There were plenty of bugs in old games

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks: 2
Brannock, duvessa

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 09:01

plenty of shit to complain about in pc games nowadays without having to imagine old games weren't bug-ridden messes all the same, seems to me

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 3
duvessa, rockygargoyle, Slap and stab

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 10:57

Yeah and hey guys remember floppy disks those things were so awesome never had any problems with them after I started storing them in a fucking vacuum in a bomb shelter 100 meters below ground where nothing else except the occasional neutrinos could touch them them god damn CDs/DVDs can't even handle explosions, sand paper or nuclear war unlike floppy disks which were were utter perfection.

Those were the days.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 13:26

all you coddled young whippersnappers don't know how good you got it, in my day we hiked uphill both ways through the snow to a room full of vacuum tubes and fed in punch cards just to play pong on an oscilloscope
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 13:43

I had to play D&D with paper and actual crazy-shaped dice.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 14:40

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 15:15

I don't have much issue outside of my laptop sucking and failing to run anything sexy looking.
Hearthstone ftw.

Spoiler: show

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 17:02

Can't say I've noticed PC gaming specifically getting worse except for DRM. The general push to switch video games away from the goods model is a bummer, but I can't really fault publicly traded companies for trying to make more money, unless they're doing it illegally. It's kind of, you know, their entire purpose.
I'm not bothered by code or game design getting worse (because for the most part it isn't), the main reason I always seem pissed off at the gaming industry is the awful environment. With the amount of sexism and internal conflict you could almost mistake it for the movie industry.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Lasty, Nemora

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 19:08

duvessa wrote:With the amount of sexism and internal conflict you could almost mistake it for the movie industry.

But how can we get more girls to play

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 21:03

duvessa wrote:With the amount of sexism and internal conflict you could almost mistake it for the movie industry.

This has been the case ever since the gaming industry became larger than the movie industry. Games are now roughly 10 times larger than movies.

Games ~ 100 billion in 2010: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/global ... 0-6274534/
Movies ~ 11 billion in 2013 http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/?vi ... 013&p=.htm

Just a quick search, I'm sure there's various things not accounted for, but it won't change the 10 fold difference.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 21:38

La-Mulana 2 is coming out in like, a year and a half bro. Life ain't that bad.
take it easy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 21:59

This is a FANTASTIC time for indie PC gaming.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 22:12

yes well let's not go overboard now

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 4th August 2014, 01:34

Leafsnail wrote:There were plenty of bugs in old games

Pokemon Gen 1 is basically the AAA open world sandbox game of its era, and boy was it buggy lol

Barkeep

Post Monday, 4th August 2014, 05:32

You remember the cool stuff and forget/repress (or if you are lucky never noticed in the first place) the crappy stuff.

I mean yeah there may be long term trends that are bad or good but probably the largest single factor is more or less unintentional selective remembrance.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 4th August 2014, 10:10

dumb founded. lol.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 05:55

There's no arguing it. The change in PC is too much these days. I am being overwhelmed by the sheer face of the tidal wave of shit-wave tech obscuring my vision of the real PC gaming scene that I knew from way back. Someone has to fight it. What can stop the scene from changing its own colors? Nothing until no body is doing the job. People need a hero, maybe not the hero they deserve but a sole champion can change the dramatically bad Call of Duty sequelitis. The next Call of Duty ought to feature next generation space warfare not the same damn scenario rehashed. Where is the innovation in every modern FPS having a tec-9 gat with a flashlight or some other grinder-only item. For instance, PC gaming was rich with atmosphere and tension before Madden showed up and took a shit on the separation between sports games and REAL games. With deep mechanics that take ages to uncover all the whilst kindling interest with random encounters, superfluously difficult monsters (for when you are higher level, of course), and dialog that didn't force you to mash skip (until all of the times after your first reading, because cutscene-type behavior wasn't bound up with the gameplay). The good old days that's a time when a man has to look back and then look forward and then down and say damn it. Where are the good videogames? What is this world coming to? Do I have to return to reading books? I agree, why is PC gaming so bad now days?

Best Regards,
RG

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 09:11

always thought the internet would be a lot better if I could punch people through it

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Greyr

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 13:09

I squeeze gats till my clips is empty

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 15:18

Bell bottoms are awful and no one wears them

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 17:10

RichardGamingo wrote:There's no arguing it. The change in PC is too much these days. I am being overwhelmed by the sheer face of the tidal wave of shit-wave tech obscuring my vision of the real PC gaming scene that I knew from way back. Someone has to fight it. What can stop the scene from changing its own colors? Nothing until no body is doing the job. People need a hero, maybe not the hero they deserve but a sole champion can change the dramatically bad Call of Duty sequelitis. The next Call of Duty ought to feature next generation space warfare not the same damn scenario rehashed. Where is the innovation in every modern FPS having a tec-9 gat with a flashlight or some other grinder-only item. For instance, PC gaming was rich with atmosphere and tension before Madden showed up and took a shit on the separation between sports games and REAL games. With deep mechanics that take ages to uncover all the whilst kindling interest with random encounters, superfluously difficult monsters (for when you are higher level, of course), and dialog that didn't force you to mash skip (until all of the times after your first reading, because cutscene-type behavior wasn't bound up with the gameplay). The good old days that's a time when a man has to look back and then look forward and then down and say damn it. Where are the good videogames? What is this world coming to? Do I have to return to reading books? I agree, why is PC gaming so bad now days?

Best Regards,
RG

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
cribozai, Klown, mikee

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th August 2014, 22:21

A valediction, or complimentary close in American English, is an expression used to say farewell, especially a word or phrase used to end a letter or message, or the act of saying parting words whether brief or extensive.

yw

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 04:24

I thought a valedictorian was someone who graduated top of his or her class

I like that more games are starting to get Linux ports.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 04:46

RBrandon wrote:I thought a valedictorian was someone who graduated top of his or her class

I like that more games are starting to get Linux ports.

The valedictorian gives the valediction, hence the name valedictorian.
take it easy

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 14:06

To turn this topic around, what games of the last decade or so would you recommend as carrying on the virtues of "classic" "old school" games, however your might define that? (Besides DCSS of course. ;-) )

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 14:34

all before wrote:Besides DCSS of course.

Bit of an assumption there.

Anyway there were no "old school" qualities that made games good back then and shit now. Awful games tend to ignore making their core mechanics and the pivotal points of the game actually enjoyable or presume that makeup in other areas will somehow fix those parts, that was true 20 years ago and it's true today.
Dark messiah of might and magic is a great game, so is bastion, so painkiller, so is SotN, so is the souls/NOLF series. Daikatana was shit when it came out and games developed with the same mindset today are just as shit.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 20:02

---
Last edited by moocowmoocow on Saturday, 9th August 2014, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 20:08

yeah there are very few independently made games these days

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner