Last Deck of Nemelex Xobeh

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 17:41

Last Deck of Nemelex Xobeh

Someone over at Blizzard is a Dungeon Crawl fan. They're adding the Last Deck of Nemelex Xobeh to World of Warcraft.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Klown, MyOtheHedgeFox, rockygargoyle, TeshiAlair, XuaXua

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 18:01

Re: Last Deck of Nemelex Xobeh

hahaha, how cool! its nice when little games pay respect to their betters like that.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 5
intr, MyOtheHedgeFox, nilsbloodaxe, rockygargoyle, TeshiAlair

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 20:38

I'd be interested in learning what that item does - the twitter account mentions at least 10 effects, and describes what two of them do.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 19th July 2014, 21:07

Very cool nod to Crawl
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 16:34

Sounds like good exposure for the game!

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 16:38

No, because those who don't already know crawl won't get the reference.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 16:52

I'll just wait here for the first WoW player to discover Crawl and call out DCSS for stealing the NX name / deck "concept".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 17:11

According to Senior Game Designer Jeremy Feasel (Muffinus) this item spawns several distinct possible effects on use:
This one is a fun one, I think you all will enjoy it :) It does... many things...
Last Deck effect 8: Summons 10 cows to fight for you. "You have drawn: The Herd."
Effect 10: Berserkitis. Increases damage dealt AND damage taken by 50%. "You have drawn: The Barbarian."

Pretty cool.

Spoiler: show
too bad the game turned to shit late burning crusade, vanilla was the best gaming years of my life
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 17:15

"... many things..." reference to D&D's Deck of Many Things.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Roderic

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 23:00

intr wrote:No, because those who don't already know crawl won't get the reference.

But people who do get the reference will mention it and people who don't will see it.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 22:00

Patashu wrote:
intr wrote:No, because those who don't already know crawl won't get the reference.

But people who do get the reference will mention it and people who don't will see it and be like "What's a stone soup?".

Ftfy
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 00:04

its when you need to boil water, but dont have a metal or stone recipient, so you put the water in a any recipient and puts a very hot stone in it. it will make the water boil and solve your problem. im Brazil thats called Sopa de Pedra, or Stone Soup. :geek:

EDIT: it is also a cool portuguese legend:
Some travellers come to a village, carrying nothing more than an empty cooking pot. Upon their arrival, the villagers are unwilling to share any of their food stores with the hungry travellers. Then the travellers go to a stream and fill the pot with water, drop a large stone in it, and place it over a fire. One of the villagers becomes curious and asks what they are doing. The travellers answer that they are making "stone soup", which tastes wonderful, although it still needs a little bit of garnish to improve the flavour, which they are missing. The villager does not mind parting with a few carrots to help them out, so that gets added to the soup. Another villager walks by, inquiring about the pot, and the travellers again mention their stone soup which has not reached its full potential yet. The villager hands them a little bit of seasoning to help them out. More and more villagers walk by, each adding another ingredient. Finally, a delicious and nourishing pot of soup is enjoyed by all.
another EDIT: you can actually eat Stone Soup in portugal, it became a tipical dish based on the legend. ok, now I'm finished.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 3
moocowmoocow, rockygargoyle, TehDruid

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 00:59

Yeah, the portuguese legend makes more sense as the origin of dcss's name, since it's the open source, community built, dungeon crawl.

For this message the author Kramin42 has received thanks: 3
Hirsch I, rockygargoyle, TehDruid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 01:39

I remember that story from the third grade, so I always understood it to be in reference to that.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 02:19

Hirsch I wrote:its when you need to boil water, but dont have a metal or stone recipient, so you put the water in a any recipient and puts a very hot stone in it. it will make the water boil and solve your problem. im Brazil thats called Sopa de Pedra, or Stone Soup. :geek:

EDIT: it is also a cool portuguese legend:
Some travellers come to a village, carrying nothing more than an empty cooking pot. Upon their arrival, the villagers are unwilling to share any of their food stores with the hungry travellers. Then the travellers go to a stream and fill the pot with water, drop a large stone in it, and place it over a fire. One of the villagers becomes curious and asks what they are doing. The travellers answer that they are making "stone soup", which tastes wonderful, although it still needs a little bit of garnish to improve the flavour, which they are missing. The villager does not mind parting with a few carrots to help them out, so that gets added to the soup. Another villager walks by, inquiring about the pot, and the travellers again mention their stone soup which has not reached its full potential yet. The villager hands them a little bit of seasoning to help them out. More and more villagers walk by, each adding another ingredient. Finally, a delicious and nourishing pot of soup is enjoyed by all.
another EDIT: you can actually eat Stone Soup in portugal, it became a tipical dish based on the legend. ok, now I'm finished.

hmmm I've always associated that story with Aesop. but apparently* it is middle European legend that changes in detail from language(country) to language. I don't recall where I read it originally but I know it was in a collection of like-minded stories.

* (according to this article on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup where it actually mentions DCSS.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 08:42

Hirsch I wrote:EDIT: it is also a cool portuguese legend:

You may be astonished, but there is a similar story in Rusian folklore. And instead of portuguese traveller, there was a man who made a porrige with the axe instead of stone.
Also checked wiki, it's ok for Northern folks to have story about AXE SOUP!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 10:26

I knew the version with French soldiers during Napoleonic wars, that I see that is also mentioned in the wikipedia.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 00:20

Has 52 charges and can not be used anywhere that it would actually matter (like in raids).

Possible draws:

◾ Devastation: Damage dealt increased by 100%. Lasts 2 min
◾ Frailty: Physical damage taken increased by 100%. Lasts 1 min
◾ Nimbleness: Haste increased by 50%. Lasts 2 min
◾ Swiftness: Movement speed increased by 50%. Lasts 5 min
◾ The Barbarian: Causes you to randomly go berserk, increasing damage dealt and damage taken. Lasts 5 min
◾ The Herd: Summons many cows (Angry Bovine) to fight for you.
◾ The Void: Banishes the caster, turning them invulnerable, but unable to act.
◾ The Warp: Causes you to randomly blink. Lasts 2 min
◾ Vulnerability: Magical damage taken increased by 100%. Lasts 1 min
◾ Wrath: Critical strike chance increased by 100%. Lasts 2 min

For this message the author John Milferton has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 21:50

It's been a few years since I last played wow, but they now have buffs that are limited based on your location? So you can have some extreme buff but it's non-raid only?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 23:14

that... kinda sucks.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner