how can we get more girls to play

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 06:41

Re: how can we get more girls to play

Nemora wrote:women's fight to be accepted in geeky communities.

This is utter drivel and a mindless parroting of the zeitgeist. Do you seriously think there are men barring the entrance to women who are interested in joining the geek community? Let's take an example, shall we? That of Aureylian.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Aureylian

She is awful at Minecraft. Yet she has over 200k subscribers, and has been accepted to both the Forgecraft and Mindcrack servers. There are a least a million men with far more talent she has jumped over to get on to those servers. What this a fight to be accepted? She was ushered to the top of the heap almost instantly.

What men, and geeks don't like are posers. If you have genuine enthusiam, you'll be accepted, if you just want to join the latest thing because it's cool, you will have trouble. In this men and women are held to the exact same standards.

For further confirmation, just watch as all the beta white knights jump in to defend you from this terrible criticism, just because you're a woman.

For this message the author Zoopy Joobles has received thanks: 3
Dang, rockygargoyle, TehDruid

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 06:43

Arrhythmia wrote:
Zoopy Joobles wrote:How exactly is power measured?

Average wages, suffrage, representation in all three branches of government, amount of land owned by, money owned by, means of production owned by, rates of crime committed against, etc.

So, all white men, even poor ones must suffer because some white men have money and power? Aren't you people always saying it's wrong to judge an entire race? In most of those metrics, Jews and Asians outshine whites. Why are they not called out on their privilege?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 06:44

Might I suggest not responding to Zoopy's posts? I see a lot of white supremacy/MRA mentality in them, and I don't think engaging with that is going to be fruitful for this thread.

For this message the author Nemora has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Hopeless, Lasty, Utis

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 06:45

trash from zoopy joobles

Zoopy Joobles wrote:So, all white men, even poor ones must suffer because some white men have money and power?

It's not suffering to let another person have a piece of the pie bro.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 4
archaeo, duvessa, Hopeless, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 10:46

Zoopy Joobles wrote: Cultural Marxist Social Justice crusaders

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not a "cultural" marxist

She is awful at Minecraft. Yet she has over 200k subscribers, and has been accepted to both the Forgecraft and Mindcrack servers. There are a least a million men with far more talent she has jumped over to get on to those servers. What this a fight to be accepted? She was ushered to the top of the heap almost instantly.

What men, and geeks don't like are posers. If you have genuine enthusiam, you'll be accepted, if you just want to join the latest thing because it's cool, you will have trouble. In this men and women are held to the exact same standards.

Do you see a contradiction between first ranting about perspective because racism, sexism and homophobia in western countries aren't that bad and what you are saying here? But hey, whatever helps you get to the moon.

How long before this LGBTQQIP2SAA breaks its unholy coalition and starts accusing itself of oppression?

There is a lot of discrimination inside of the LGBT community. Some gays and lesbians hold prejudice against bisexuals, some non-trans people hold prejudice against trans people, some trans people hold prejudice against certain types of trans people, virtually noone believes asexuals exist, etc. Naturally this leads to accusations of oppression.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 11:17

Zoopy Joobles wrote:Resorting to insults usually implies concession in a debate.

Zoopy Joobles wrote:I also said I didn't let it bother me, because I'm not a whining little pussy.

Zoopy Joobles wrote:Is this some kind of Oprah inspired New Age garbage?

I certainly hope it implies concession in a debate. For all our sakes.

And everybody else, for the most part, great job. I've been holding off from actually participating in this because sooner or later, discussions like this one always devolve into slinging insults and nothing ever actually comes of it, but by and large, the participants in this thread are pretty excellent human beings - on every side of the discussion. Less for your individual stances, more for the fact that you're actually willing to consider each other's points and admit when you've made mistakes or phrased something hurtfully. If even one person comes away from this thread better able to look at their own actions and realise when they're hurting others, then it has achieved something.

Also I've never tried to get my girlfriend into crawl, but she's a big fan of Red Rogue. Baby steps.
KoboldLord wrote: Equipment that you don't have isn't going to improve your survivability any.

For this message the author Kaeoschassis has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TehDruid

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 13:18

Nemora wrote:Might I suggest not responding to Zoopy's posts? I see a lot of white supremacy/MRA mentality in them, and I don't think engaging with that is going to be fruitful for this thread.

This is good advice, yes. Cleaned up some recent posts that descended into insult-slinging and general uselessness, some people need to take a break from posting.

Those who are not interested in actually attempting to take part in a discussion here can stop posting in this topic.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Lasty

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 13:35

Well, somebody can't take a joke...
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 15:20

I imagine there are simply far fewer women than men who experience the kind of prolonged isolation necessary to seek out and then attempt to master a game like Crawl.

For this message the author Kismet has received thanks: 2
tannisroot, TehDruid

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 15:26

tvvelvve is right we need to get hte tornado pizza branch ready and show how cool this game is. No way girls can resist that.

Also possibly maybe some plums too i mean they are pretty great
Spoiler: show
>:V=3

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 18:04

Kismet wrote:I imagine there are simply far fewer women than men who experience the kind of prolonged isolation necessary to seek out and then attempt to master a game like Crawl.

So for you "not isolated" means "never, ever, any alone time"?

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 18:55

intr wrote:
Kismet wrote:I imagine there are simply far fewer women than men who experience the kind of prolonged isolation necessary to seek out and then attempt to master a game like Crawl.

"prolonged"

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 19:12

Kismet wrote:
intr wrote:

"prolonged"

This isn't any better than your previous posts.

For this message the author Nemora has received thanks:
Lasty

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 19:33

Alright, deleted a couple of low content posts that basically just said "fuck you" or something like that. Aside from that, some pretty wretched stuff was said, but it is part of the discussion now, and it is better to argue about it, rather than sweep anything under the rug (rendering the discussion incoherent in the process).

This thread wasn't intended to go in this direction, obviously, and CYC rarely has discussions about these topics, but it isn't like any one or two posters have hijacked the thread or derailed it. The conversation developed into this, for better or worse, because enough people wanted to talk about it, and that's where we are.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 21:03

Kismet wrote:
intr wrote:

"prolonged"

To elaborate, unless by "isolation" you mean "spending time alone", you have no way to verify that claim. After all, feeling isolated is by no means the same as not talking to many people, or anything else you could easily observe. Because of this, you are most likely not in the position to make such generalizations. If you are really interested in this, run a study :lol: Though even then such generalizations would be at least doubtful.
Also, I believe there are at least some people who have enough free time to spend long hours crawling while still not neglecting social relationships etc.

Finally, I tend to think (maybe incorrectly) that you insinuate that only socially awkward people would play Crawl. If you actually do believe this: It is a misconception that having a single "nerdy" interest implies that you are a stereotypical nerd, i.e. have only "nerdy" interests and are socially awkward. There are so many counterexamples; take Feynman, or von Neumann.

For this message the author intr has received thanks:
Lasty

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 05:21

intr wrote:To elaborate, unless by "isolation" you mean "spending time alone", you have no way to verify that claim. \

That's actually what I mean. You have to spend a lot of your free time alone to even consider sinking hundreds of hours into a single video game. If you want to come back with "I have a friend who is a girl who doesn't leave the house and has a pervasive developmental disorder, your argument is invalid" then by all means.

As for "verifying" that claim, I'll pass. I am making a tentative supposition based on hundreds of friends and acquaintances.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 06:12

Actually I play 95-99% of my crawl-games while sitting on the couch about 2 feet from my wife, typically while we have something mindless on the television.

Hardly 'in isolation"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
damiac, Lasty, Nemora

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 12:51

Siegurt wrote:Actually I play 95-99% of my crawl-games while sitting on the couch about 2 feet from my wife, typically while we have something mindless on the television.

Hardly 'in isolation"

Ditto.

Also, in addition to thanking her post, I'd like to reiterate to emphasize what Nemora said about not responding to Zoopy Joobles. There's probably no room for a productive discussion there.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 01:39

I think we should make a crawl encounter somewhere, drink good beer (so not america) and know each other better. lots of people here are arguing with people that are saying pretty much the same things they are, just because they dont understand each other, and fight over petty semantics.
I like y'all tho. :D
EDIT: also, most of the time I'm playing near lots of people, my roomates, my girlfriend and so on, are not most people like that?
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 10:41

How is it possible, don't you have a room sanctuary dedicated to play Crawl with the utmost concentration surrounded by candle lights while listening to heavy music in complete solitude?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 13:42

candles are a distraction and no music or joy allowed in the sanctum sanctorum

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 16:09

Roderic wrote:How is it possible, don't you have a room sanctuary dedicated to play Crawl with the utmost concentration surrounded by candle lights while listening to heavy music in complete solitude?

not anymore, the rent was getting too high.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
TehDruid

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 19:58

women can't go to the moon because the moon controls menstruation and when you get too close things can get messy (sorry)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 20:08

(SANCTUM SANCTORUM AKA CAVE OF GAMES AND STRONGHOLD OF PATRIARCHY)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 29th July 2014, 08:16

now a poem:

Awake to live when carnal battle calls
bring up the force behind the Iron balls,
strong and bound the pale injection,
the rise of life and lust above the soul,
the mind of instinct gone beyond control,
praise the saints for this erection

Coleus Sanctus, in the heart of the night,
Coleus Sanctus, mighty arm in the fight,
Coleus Sanctus, holy sanctum of men...

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th July 2014, 20:22

Hirsch I wrote:this is probably the less chaotic thread ever. I'm scared, how do I react?

ImageImageImage When in doubt, gender neutral explosions ImageImageImage

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 04:50

re:how can we get more girls to play

become girls

For this message the author Ayutzia has received thanks: 2
Sar, tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 05:54

DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU JUST NECRO'D
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 06:18

You have to admit though, the possibility of sex reassignment surgery on a large scale hadn't previously been raised as a possible solution to the OP's question.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
scorpionwarrior, tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 06:27

I think now is a good time to bring up universal health care.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 18:12

Awesome discussion :shock:

Bringing in more girls...? I don't know, maybe a tasteful, artistic and sexy calendar with the Hottest Crawl Players would help... No, wait, that would specifically bring in more horny people, but part of them are guaranteed to be girls!

Just imagine it! The first roguelike with a Hot Player Calendar!

THE SALES WOULD SKYROCKET!!!

*Ahem* :mrgreen:

I don't really get the "male assumption". This is not to say I don't fall into it sometimes, but really, you never know what hides behind an username. I think everybody on the interbutt should try and think more about people as "users" or "usernames" rather than as guys or girls, women or men, or whatever else... as long as those users don't express a preference for being referred to as W, X, Y or Z.

Another thing that always puzzles me is the incredibly intensity with which people receive Sarkeesian's media. People hate her with froth-mouthed theological fervor for no apparent reason. Come on, people who play videogames are ALWAYS dissing about videogames, even about their favourite ones! Some of them even take it sooo seriously as to post videos in youtube.

I like Feminist Frequency and Troves VS. Women, I don't really follow it but when I find a link to a new one I always watch a bunch. i really liked the videos about LEGO, so-called "tertiary sexual traits" (I can't remember now her term) and damsels in distress. I like the questions she raises about media and the fact that she presents analysis about videogames in a professional-looking way.

On the other hand, I find her taste in TV series abysmal; her voice sounds bored and droning during the final half of anything, and I disagree with her in several specific points (most strongly on "Angel as a Damsel in Distress" in Borderlands 2).
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 18:16

anyway i found them (girls
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 18:20

where?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 18:26

like he would share

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 19:09

Nobody ever shares :(

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 23:17

Code:
<@dpeg> This is a good time as any to ask once more for properly dancing weapons (pairs of weapon doing the waltz, the foxtrot etc. ... until you disturb them) -- I am only suggesting this to draw more middle-aged ladies into Crawl land!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 20:21

Zoopy Joobles wrote:
Nemora wrote:women's fight to be accepted in geeky communities.

This is utter drivel and a mindless parroting of the zeitgeist. Do you seriously think there are men barring the entrance to women who are interested in joining the geek community? Let's take an example, shall we? That of Aureylian.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Aureylian

You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. The talent comment came off as slightly aggressive but I see the point in you mentioning it. It's as you said there isn't some sort of barrier preventing women from joining in the fun. It isn't just men though that don't like 'posers' and people just in it because it's a fad. It's anyone, if you show actual interest and willingness you'll be accepted into almost any community man or women.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 20:47

I liked this thread more when it didn't exist.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 3
archaeo, dowan, Reptisaurus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 21:14

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Arrhythmia, linear

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 21:16

duvessa wrote:

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I had that same thought.

Oh, Zoopy Joobles. You're free to join the Tavern again. Just stop being such a bigot.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 04:45

wow zoopy is really like kramer but back when kramer was cool but then he did that stand up routine ITT and people are like whoa dude calm down man i thought u were cool cuz u were on TV

For this message the author greatideascomefromgreatminds has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, tasonir

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 04:51

i was thinking about girls today
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 29th September 2016, 23:55

twelwe wrote:i was thinking about girls today

Me too, which episode?

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
yesno
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner