Other names for potion of cancellation

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 10:57

Other names for potion of cancellation

Potion of cancellation >>> rename it to potion of dispel, it sounds better.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

For this message the author Eyesburn has received thanks:
XuaXua

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 16:46

Re: Potion of Cancellation

Perhaps "Potion of dispelling."

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 17:12

jejorda2 wrote:Perhaps "Potion of dispelling."

*long bikeshed argument using nerdy words like "gerund" and "participle" which eventually results in suggestions for name changes to a lion's share of all potions and scrolls*

edit: it also uses the word "dispulsion"

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
tedric

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 17:15

potion of fuckmagic
also extends berserk duration if chugged while zerk

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 17:36

Re: Other names for potion of cancellation

another example of modatorial abuse of power
it's the grim years all over again

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 17:39

^ If a good rename suggestion emerges from this thread, that proposal can go into GDD no problem. CYC is mostly an asylum/prison but its also like Escape From LA. You can make it out (if you are Kurt Russel).

My vote is for !fuckmagic, fwiw.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
archaeo, tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 17:59

Potion of Antimagic for consistency.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 18:35

I prefer that any consumable that removes effects do so in a hidden and ultimately spoilery way, as the scroll of vulnerability used to do. Every single jerk playing crawl is going to know what these potions do, and that's unacceptable!

So I suggest renaming them to "Potions of NeverDrinkThis". The description would simply be "A potion made up of foul smelling liquids, that one should never, ever drink".

/cyc mode
Potions of dispelling make the most sense to me. Antimagic is already a thing, and that thing isn't like this thing.
If one wants to be all fancy, and maintain some of the old spoileriness, you could call them "Potions of quicksilver" because quicksilver dragons already do the same thing this potion does (Do they still even exist?)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 19:11

"Quicksilver" is another word for mercury. I would not recommend drinking the potion of quicksilver.

Cancellation seems perfectly clear to me: it cancels all the statuses on you. If it's confusing because there are statuses it doesn't cancel, I'd recommend that it be fixed by letting it cancel those statuses.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 19:15

In a more serious note I dislike that this potion can dispel an important thing like berserk slow even if it was misleading to have berserk slow be not-actual-slow sometimes.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
kroki

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 19:18

I joke but I genuinely don't like the -ing names for potions - I'd prefer dispulsion, and cancellation is better than that. Potion of Dispel Magic would be more similar to players of other rpgs, though I think antimagic is probably the best one suggested. (Perhaps it should also drain your mana? ~*interesting decisions*~)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 19:52

dck wrote:In a more serious note I dislike that this potion can dispel an important thing like berserk slow even if it was misleading to have berserk slow be not-actual-slow sometimes.

Well it's a limited resource, and one that can be used pretty creatively, like what you've suggested (Does it also remove exh status, allowing 2 berserks in a row?)
It can also be used completely straightforwardly, like removing slow status
There are other fun uses too. In a recent game I attempted to ninja the swamp rune by quaffing a haste potion, then an invis potion. When the invis wore off, I quaffed another. When I started glowing, I drank cancellation, and then invis again. Soon after I died because I decided why ninja the rune when I can just kill the laernean hydra myself while invisible.

On the topic of the name, cancellation does a good job of communicating what it will do, but it just feels like a really bad name flavorwise.
I think "Potion of dispelling" or something similar achieves the same level of communication, while fitting a bit better with the theme.
Antimagic is a weapon brand which inflicts a status effect on enemies, and drains player MP. It also negatively effects the player wielding it. None of this has anything to do with what this potion does, nor does antimagic really do a great job of communicating that it will remove status effects(admittedly, it's still better than vulnerability)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 20:12

just dont put it in a bag of holding

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sprucery

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 20:19

dck wrote:In a more serious note I dislike that this potion can dispel an important thing like berserk slow even if it was misleading to have berserk slow be not-actual-slow sometimes.

Why?

damiac wrote:Well it's a limited resource, and one that can be used pretty creatively, like what you've suggested (Does it also remove exh status, allowing 2 berserks in a row?)

It does not, no.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 20:24

I like "Potion of dispel enchantments" or "Potion of dispel magic" a little better than "Potion of dispelling" I also don't like "Potion of cancellation" (Both "dispelling" and "cancellation" leave me wondering what it's dispelling or cancelling respectively)

Maybe "Potion of purge magic"? (You really really do *not* want to drink a "Potion of purging" though. ick.)

Also another serious suggestion "Potion of purification" although I like that a little better for curing's effects, actually.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 20:44

Because berserk is a quite well balanced ability that is interesting already; being unable of getting the most detrimental post-berserk ailment without extreme measures (god choice or getting a big chunk of contam) was a notable drawback (somewhat notable in the case of contam admittedly since contam tends to not matter) and having a consumable that does take it away cheapens the cost of getting in a bad post-berserk situation.

I would suggest making exh carry the nonmagical slow part intrinsically but then that'd also shift the berserk balance significantly by either reducing the time required between berserk uses but also making the time spent waiting for exh to go away more dangerous, as it would stand to reason it'd be somewhere between the duration of both current statuses. This wouldn't be necessarily bad or good change however.
But it'd be probably silly since other statuses like DDoor and Jump use exh timers too, although they do use them rather arbitrarily and I can't see a good reason they couldn't be on breath timer instead.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 20:47

Siegurt wrote:Also another serious suggestion "Potion of purification" although I like that a little better for curing's effects, actually.

Purification sounds like it might cure poison, rot, and/or mutations.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 20:57

Dck, I think you're overly concerned about a player getting maybe 4 or 5 'riskless' berserks with these potions. I mean, at worst it's like this potion can be cleverly used as a haste potion, in that using a haste potion post berserk cancels out the slow effect anyway. Is that really that bad? Throughout the course of the game, you'll probably be slowed more times than you can get rid of it with this potion, so if you use it to cancel post berserk slows, you can't use it on some other slow (or other bad effect).

The fact that it has so many interesting uses and synergies seems to me to be a very good thing. It means there are a lot of interesting decisions to make with this potion.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, Bloax, duvessa, EugeneJudo, PleasingFungus, Tiktacy

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 21:28

Crawl already offers a remarkable amount of ways of getting out of trouble and trouble as carefully sought-after as careless berserking with no haste available should not have even more "clever" ways of getting out of it that in practice are only used because they are the cheapest way of fixing the player's latest fuck up.
Stupidly good for little to no price as "stasis post-berserk may be, it at least pretends to be a serious price you pay, you risk bad things. It's a very different message sent to the player compared to "drink potion to be fast again" and in a game like crawl pretenses of danger are often as good if not better than actual danger, since in both cases the player will not die by any hand other than his own and at least the first case causes an emotional response.

Furthermore, I don't see why it is desirable to have a consumable that takes care of such a large amounts of threats with no drawback because some of those will be superior to others and the careful player will want to conserve them until he's past certain parts where having !fuckmagic can be critical, which introduces a new member in the hierarchy of consumable usage order.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 21:30

In with Potion of Stasis before the threadlock.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 21:35

dck wrote:Crawl already offers a remarkable amount of ways of getting out of trouble and trouble as carefully sought-after as careless berserking with no haste available should not have even more "clever" ways of getting out of it that in practice are only used because they are the cheapest way of fixing the player's latest fuck up.
Stupidly good for little to no price as "stasis post-berserk may be, it at least pretends to be a serious price you pay, you risk bad things. It's a very different message sent to the player compared to "drink potion to be fast again" and in a game like crawl pretenses of danger are often as good if not better than actual danger, since in both cases the player will not die by any hand other than his own and at least the first case causes an emotional response.

Furthermore, I don't see why it is desirable to have a consumable that takes care of such a large amounts of threats with no drawback because some of those will be superior to others and the careful player will want to conserve them until he's past certain parts where having !fuckmagic can be critical, which introduces a new member in the hierarchy of consumable usage order.

Note that even if you made !fuckmagic not cancel post-serk slow as a special case and made no other changes, you could still cancel it with "stasis, then use !fuckmagic to get rid of the contamination (So the same net effect for more convoluted and spoilery interface)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 21:44

!fuckmagic removes the same amount of contam ?vuln used to and ?vuln wasn't enough to get you down from mid-yellow often times.
Plus the contam load you get from wearing "stasis is swingy on its own.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 23:19

Note that calling it potion of dispel/dispelling/etc is misleading since it now cancels the slow from post-berserk, even though the slow from post-berserk is flavoured as 'not a spell'

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 23:37

Patashu wrote:Note that calling it potion of dispel/dispelling/etc is misleading since it now cancels the slow from post-berserk, even though the slow from post-berserk is flavoured as 'not a spell'

"Potion of normalization"...? Make it clear in description that mutations aren't affected? (If you get a mutation, that's part of your new "normal" state until it is removed.)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 00:11

and into wrote:
Patashu wrote:Note that calling it potion of dispel/dispelling/etc is misleading since it now cancels the slow from post-berserk, even though the slow from post-berserk is flavoured as 'not a spell'

"Potion of normalization"...? Make it clear in description that mutations aren't affected? (If you get a mutation, that's part of your new "normal" state until it is removed.)

Worse. Gamers have an intuition for what 'cancellation' might involve - you 'cancel' magical effects, spells, etc. What does 'normalization' mean? This isn't vector calculus! I thought I was done with highschool math!! I don't want to be normal ;_;

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 04:15

Much like scroll of vulnerability cancelled the slow from being hit with curare, which is not a spell.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 04:40

Patashu wrote:Worse. Gamers have an intuition for what 'cancellation' might involve -

... and no intuition about what being "normal" involves—yeah, that's a good point. (I kid, I kid :) )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 04:41

Potion of ....stability?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 04:45

Guys, potion of cancellation does not need a new name. In fact, it already has the perfect name. Mods, please close this trash heap of a topic.......

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 2
duvessa, tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 05:20

You mean to cancel the thread?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 05:54

XuaXua wrote:You mean to cancel the thread?

Careful! Your magical threads are unravelling.

(getit)

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 08:42

Patashu wrote:Guys, potion of cancellation does not need a new name. In fact, it already has the perfect name. Mods, please close this trash heap of a topic.......

Just an note: I didnt make this topic and named it "Other names for potion of cancellation"

I just said (in some other thread) potion of cancellation >>> rename it to potion of dispel/dispelling/dispell magic or whatever,
because:
damiac wrote:On the topic of the name, cancellation does a good job of communicating what it will do, but it just feels like a really bad name flavorwise.
Last edited by Eyesburn on Wednesday, 16th July 2014, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th July 2014, 16:47

"Fundamental Philtre of Arcane Revocation" My utterly unwieldy yet flavorful attempt. :p

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 16th July 2014, 18:06

Potion of purge
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

For this message the author Roderic has received thanks:
Eyesburn

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th July 2014, 20:08

Roderic wrote:Potion of purge

Rename porridge to "Potion of binge".

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 16:20

Active charcoal emulsion
which is normally poison related
Potion of absorption could be more magical but is perhaps rather contrived.

Potion of (magical) grounding (grounds out effects)

Potion of nullification

Cleansing potion

Potion of Clear Water (or Clear Water potion)

Just throwing ideas at the wall.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 18:15

Combine it with the potion of curing?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 19:13

dck wrote:potion of fuckmagic
also extends berserk duration if chugged while zerk

Well excuse me, prince

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 20:03

Potion of Drinking
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th August 2014, 20:25

Potion of Potion

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th August 2014, 06:41

Lava Orc should totally be changed to Molten Orc; Lava Orc just sounds so... basic, so unimagin-

Oh, wait, wrong thread! :D

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner