Give me your ghost files pretty please?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 12th June 2014, 04:07

Give me your ghost files pretty please?

Hi
After 1 or 2 years of NOT playing DCSS,I decided I'd like to give it a try once more.Problem is,I have no ghost files,I am playing offline and I am such a good player that I die so seldom that I probably won't produce any(lol)
So,my humble plea.Upload your ghost files for me please!I will love you forever for that:3...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th June 2014, 04:17

Re: Give me your ghost files pretty please?

Weak ghosts make game easier so I am not sure it is a good idea.
Or do you really want to have XL 27 character with Firestorm and Shatter waiting for you on D4? ;)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 12th June 2014, 04:55

Play online, then you'll have plenty of ghosts.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 12th June 2014, 06:56

from where i play,i don't have internet access.....

yes!!!!!I TOTALLY WANT TO GET ICESTORMED AT DUNGEON LEVEL 4.GIVE ME YOUR GHOST FILES PLEAAAAAASE :3 <3

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 16th June 2014, 23:55

Sandman25 wrote:Weak ghosts make game easier so I am not sure it is a good idea.
Or do you really want to have XL 27 character with Firestorm and Shatter waiting for you on D4? ;)

Is that possible? Say you get killed by a Pandemonium Lord on your way out with the Orb? I've never found a way OOD ghost myself... But I've only created a small handful.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 03:39

Reptisaurus wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Weak ghosts make game easier so I am not sure it is a good idea.

Is that possible? Say you get killed by a Pandemonium Lord on your way out with the Orb? I've never found a way OOD ghost myself... But I've only created a small handful.

It can happen if you die anywhere other than d:1-3 or the temple, yes. There are some pretty funny recordings of people getting firestormed on d:6.

I have secret plans to change this, but technical limitations are making things slow.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 06:17

gorbeh wrote:Hi
After 1 or 2 years of NOT playing DCSS,I decided I'd like to give it a try once more.Problem is,I have no ghost files,I am playing offline and I am such a good player that I die so seldom that I probably won't produce any(lol)
So,my humble plea.Upload your ghost files for me please!I will love you forever for that:3...

Sure thing! Let me grab them for ya.

BONES.zip
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

I have no idea anymore what ghosts are where and what they do, but at the very least it might be a fun time. Feel free to use these however you want. :)

EDIT: Oh, please use these in v0.14 or later, naturally.

PleasingFungus wrote:I have secret plans to change this, but technical limitations are making things slow.

I could only imagine people dying on D:5 or 6 with an XL27, Firestorming character if they're making their Ascension, Orb in hand, and then they get punk'd at the final stretch by a gaggle of Fiends/Hellions or by a Pan Lord come to say hello. x_x Makes me cringe hard just to even imagine.

That or they're just being assholes trying to grief other players by making a really good guy and then killing themselves on purpose. Which is dumb, because your dead player ghost will only show up ONCE EVER in only one person's game, regardless of whether he kills your ghost or not-- the only exception being if that ghost succeeds in killing a player, the ghost not only stays and invades another player later on, he brings the killed victim's ghost too and there's TWO player ghosts at once on that floor. But more often than not, the victim will opt to skip fighting that player ghost that's too hard/dangerous to fight, leave that floor behind, and then that ghost is done and won't invade anyone else's game. So the griefing idea is dumb and doesn't work.

How are you going to fix this, might I ask? I'll take a guess! You'll change it so that high-XL player ghosts on low-ranked floors will automatically get relocated to further-down floors when generated?
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

For this message the author SchwaWarrior has received thanks:
gorbeh

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 07:11

I trust it won't be that, since that would ruin the ability to accurately look at the log (and thus cause a discrepancy between local and online).
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 10:07

PleasingFungus is going to make orb run ghosts not spawn until you have the orb, also they can follow from floor to floor (they're not tied to where they died, but to the orb they died with)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 11:45

SchwaWarrior wrote:That or they're just being assholes trying to grief other players by making a really good guy and then killing themselves on purpose. Which is dumb, because your dead player ghost will only show up ONCE EVER in only one person's game, regardless of whether he kills your ghost or not-- the only exception being if that ghost succeeds in killing a player, the ghost not only stays and invades another player later on, he brings the killed victim's ghost too and there's TWO player ghosts at once on that floor. But more often than not, the victim will opt to skip fighting that player ghost that's too hard/dangerous to fight, leave that floor behind, and then that ghost is done and won't invade anyone else's game. So the griefing idea is dumb and doesn't work.

In the release tournaments you actually get points for having a ghost that kills players. It is very inefficient compared to playing normally, of course, but you also usually get a special shout-out if your ghost has one of the largest strings of kills.

To make matters worse, in one year the Royal Jelly tournament banner required you to throw or drop the Orb in lava. You got a large amount of points for doing this in addition to the banner, but it rendered that particular game unwinnable from that point on even though you had a character who was already strong enough to get the Orb. The only way to get additional points from that game, then, was to kill yourself someplace relatively shallow where your ghost could gank people who weren't prepared to handle a legendary ghost.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner