Do monsters follow you out of the Dungeon when you escape?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 22:51

Do monsters follow you out of the Dungeon when you escape?

I mean if I'm standing on the stairs of D1 with the Orb of Zot and 2 pan-lords adjacent to me, and by the grace of the gods, I manage to climb those stairs without dying and am left with 2 HP...

Do I end up on terra firma with 2 big bad panlords waiting to slaughter me as soon as I make my next move?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 23:18

Re: Do monsters follow you out of the Dungeon when you escap

Yes.
You'll also meet the town guard, who are effectively HD 30 fire-immune Sigmunds with Sentinal's Mark and Firestorm. Good luck.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 23:19

This is where that one proposal about an outside area would come in handy.
'I got the orbbbb'
*villagers sling bullets at pan lords*

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
bcadren

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 23:24

Moose wrote:I mean if I'm standing on the stairs of D1 with the Orb of Zot and 2 pan-lords adjacent to me, and by the grace of the gods, I manage to climb those stairs without dying and am left with 2 HP...

Do I end up on terra firma with 2 big bad panlords waiting to slaughter me as soon as I make my next move?

The monsters next to you when you take the upstairs on D1 will be tagged as followers, but the game is ended before you can be transported along with the monsters to the next level, so they only don't follow on a technicality (kind of like how the lernaean hydra hits 27 times, but if it kills you early the rest of the attacks never get to occur because the game is ended immediately)

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 01:45

Pan lords are allergic to sunlight and open air; they follow you, but melt like the wicked witch of the west, all the while screaming "I'm melting! I'm melting...."
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 04:56

You are a monster too, by the time you escape..
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, scorpionwarrior

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 10:48

Moose wrote:I mean if I'm standing on the stairs of D1 with the Orb of Zot and 2 pan-lords adjacent to me, and by the grace of the gods, I manage to climb those stairs without dying and am left with 2 HP...

Well, your character being near death before escaping doesn't really matter because from the player's point of view, the character effectively dies after you decide to leave the dungeon anyways -the message text and morgue will be different but you lose the control of your character all the same.

What is important, however, is that only tiles characters can go to Heaven.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 18:58

Only Nethack characters can go to heaven.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 20:09

Igxfl wrote:Only Nethack characters can go to heaven.

Crawl characters go everywhere
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 20:30

Roderic wrote:

Crawl characters go everywhere

only when blasted by an Orb of Destruction.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 2
rockygargoyle, Roderic

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 01:53

I guess nobody wants to befriend a Human berserker who just ate three human friends for dinner

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 02:05

headcrab0803 wrote:I guess nobody wants to befriend a Human berserker who just ate three human friends for dinner
I would

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 11:45

Nethack characters get their pets with them, too!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th June 2014, 18:28

Patashu wrote:

The monsters next to you when you take the upstairs on D1 will be tagged as followers, but the game is ended before you can be transported along with the monsters to the next level, so they only don't follow on a technicality (kind of like how the lernaean hydra hits 27 times, but if it kills you early the rest of the attacks never get to occur because the game is ended immediately)

So what you're saying is that checking for the player's health to be 0 is a state based action that happens immediately any time any actor would get priority without using the stack?

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 5th June 2014, 23:49

tasonir wrote:
Patashu wrote:

So what you're saying is that checking for the player's health to be 0 is a state based action that happens immediately any time any actor would get priority without using the stack?

It's checked whenever ouch() is called (called by any source of damage or anything else that can cause death - including quitting and leaving the dungeon, so these are mechanically equivalent to death).
(spoiled due to nerd stuff)
Spoiler: show
In particular, look at ouch.cc:
ouch()
If you 'die' (leave/quit/death) and don't get resurrected you flow to _end_game()
then to game_ended()
which is this:
  Code:
NORETURN void game_ended()
{
    if (!crawl_state.seen_hups)
        throw game_ended_condition();
    else
        end(0);
}

If the game is disconnected from (seen_hups means the game has been sent SIGHUP - e.g. the signal that means 'the user has disconnected from this session', for console/webtiles) we call end()
end() is in stuff.cc and packs everything up then calls exit() which closes the executable.
If we're still connected, game_ended_condition() is caught in main.cc in the main loop and flows to _reset_game(), which sets everything up so we're back at the start of the game.
At no point is any further action from anything in-game allowed to occur.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner