idea for a new roguelike

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 09:02

idea for a new roguelike

so, most modern roguelikes have random items and random monster generation. However one thing that these games lack in terms of randomness is the type of monsters. So in my imaginary game, each run will have different sets of monsters which then is given random properties and random skills(like panlords in crawl), and then placed in the dungeon by their relative power level. might be too hard or impossible to code though.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 09:11

Re: idea for a new roguelike

Like Unnethack, perhaps?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 09:18

What you want is TOME 4 with the "Everything is Unique" mod.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 10:51

I think if you took one of the Shiren games and made all enemies start out unidentified and the prior distribution of which enemies appear on which floors unknown, you'd basically have this.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 11:57

headcrab0803 wrote:so, most modern roguelikes have random items and random monster generation. However one thing that these games lack in terms of randomness is the type of monsters. So in my imaginary game, each run will have different sets of monsters which then is given random properties and random skills(like panlords in crawl), and then placed in the dungeon by their relative power level. might be too hard or impossible to code though.

Portralis had an area like that (A near infinite dungeon if I recall) based on items (similar to Disgaea): You had to have the right things to sacrifice and if you went into the item but exited by dying you lost the item (Portralis's death system was not permanent during this version.) If you succeeded in finding the portal out, and defeated the items boss (a super version of the randomly generated guys you'd find elsewhere in the item) you got to keep it with improved stats.) The game also had randomly generated uniques at the end of each dungeon.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 16:20

what you want is Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. every single monster in that book is some of the most random shit ever.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 17:06

Hirsch I wrote:what you want is Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. every single monster in that book is some of the most random shit ever.

I am guessing you never actually played the game? The book you might be referring to (depending on edition) is called The Monster Manual and while it isn't necessarily the most balanced of tomes it is definitely not random. It contains a fairly comprehensive list of monsters from common folk lore, fantasy fiction and fairy tales. And much of the lore from it can be found in the bibliography listed in the first edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 17:14

Also, in each game of D&D, at least one of the players will have the entire goddamn book memorized.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 17:29

Hopeless wrote:
Hirsch I wrote:what you want is Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. every single monster in that book is some of the most random shit ever.

I am guessing you never actually played the game? The book you might be referring to (depending on edition) is called The Monster Manual and while it isn't necessarily the most balanced of tomes it is definitely not random. It contains a fairly comprehensive list of monsters from common folk lore, fantasy fiction and fairy tales.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 18:52

Been awhile since I ventured into the horrifying depths but last time I checked, didn't Dwarf Fortress do something like this?
KoboldLord wrote: Equipment that you don't have isn't going to improve your survivability any.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 19:10

Stuff about battletitan

I especially like how after one swallowed character cuts their way out of the gizzard, the "muscles" somehow close the wound and the next swallowed character has to make the same amount of damage to get out. And these things were made with non-magical breeding? :P

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 19:33

duvessa wrote:
Hopeless wrote:

I am guessing you never actually played the game? The book you might be referring to (depending on edition) is called The Monster Manual and while it isn't necessarily the most balanced of tomes it is definitely not random. It contains a fairly comprehensive list of monsters from common folk lore, fantasy fiction and fairy tales.
[snip]

That isn't from AD&D. That is if I don't miss my guess from the D&D 4E MM. And yeah the later the edition the more random the monsters get. :) Although the typesetting/graphics make it look like it could be from a 3.5 extras book (MM 3 or 4?)

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 19:37

tasonir wrote:
Stuff about battletitan

I especially like how after one swallowed character cuts their way out of the gizzard, the "muscles" somehow close the wound and the next swallowed character has to make the same amount of damage to get out. And these things were made with non-magical breeding? :P

I don't doubt it. The later campaign settings (particularly those that include dinosaurs) get weirder and weirder. But the original had a few weirdo monsters. Tarasque and the like.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 19:58

Mystara setting was the best.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 01:43

Hopeless wrote:

I am guessing you never actually played the game? The book you might be referring to (depending on edition) is called The Monster Manual and while it isn't necessarily the most balanced of tomes it is definitely not random. It contains a fairly comprehensive list of monsters from common folk lore, fantasy fiction and fairy tales. And much of the lore from it can be found in the bibliography listed in the first edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide.

oh god you're annoying.
EDIT:
Spoiler: show

also, AD&D had dinosaurs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 02:12

Hopeless wrote:That isn't from AD&D. That is if I don't miss my guess from the D&D 4E MM. And yeah the later the edition the more random the monsters get. :) Although the typesetting/graphics make it look like it could be from a 3.5 extras book (MM 3 or 4?)
MM 3 if the sketchy russian site I got the pdf from is correct

I don't think AD&D was really any better in this regard though:
ImageImage
ImageImage

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 02:18

Devs eternal fury to do it different from DnD claims yet another victim.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
XuaXua

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 03:30

Hirsch I wrote:
Hopeless wrote:

oh god you're annoying.
EDIT:

also, AD&D had dinosaurs.

If you are annoyed that's on you. My interest was merely to correct your misrepresentation of a game I have been playing for 34+ years (on and off). OK you got me they had Archdevils and Demon Princes in MM. They also had a whole book (Dieties & Demigods) full of popular mythology (with some admittedly weird additions like Lanhkmar and Melibonean mythos). While perhaps the demons & devils should have ended up there instead there were valid reasons for including them in the MM. (Namely published modules with the potential for characters to end up in the Abyss or any of the other lower planes.)

If you really want to point to random editing in the game the DM's guide is a much better choice imho since you get gemology and herbology side by side in some painstaking detail and RANDOM tables for rolling up magic items including unique artifacts and relics. :)

And yes there were stats in there for dinos. But for the most part the published modules and campaign source materials ignored them. I suspect they were put there for scale and to be interesting. My point was the book has a cohesive theme based on providing support for modules to be printed and already printed for the game. Also slight back on topic, Rogue among many other RPGlikes(lites?) was a game that borrowed heavily from AD&D.

@Arrhythmia: lol yeah but thats an Oni so maybe they feel they got away with it :p

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 04:17

The owlbear, the rust monster, the gelatinous cube, the roper… all totally authentic mythological beasties from real-world legends. Yep.

Not to mention that there are dozens of humanoid monsters that are mechanically 95% identical for the pure rules-mechanics reason that the difference between 1d6hp and 1d6+1hp was deemed critical enough that this information needed to be communicated to the player with a completely new name and description for the monster. Most of our current concept of 'high fantasy' comes from people fanwanking flavor rationalizations for transplanted wargaming conceits such as this one.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 04:30

Yeah no that shit doesn't fly when you're talking D&D.
Not every setting is the same and settings dictate which monsters will be contextually appropriate to which area of said setting; there may be four monsters with basically the same combat gimmicks and threat level and they're all good to have around because the diversity is what allows differences on behavior, alignment or social patterns of the monster and other stuff like that. Precisely being able to have creatures with that level of depth that are the same thing to the naked eye is what attracts people to the game to begin with.

Basically not every game is a coffee-break roguelike where every monster must have its very specific and unique combat function or go home and you should take the stick out of your ass.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Hopeless

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 04:37

people become passionate when defending tabletop RPGs.
but, yeah, I do believe that, even if a kobold and a gobling is mostly the same thing, the social differences between then makes fighting them significantly different.
on the other hand, the god of design who tought this is an interesting monster can just go screw himself.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 09:30

KoboldLord wrote:The owlbear, the rust monster, the gelatinous cube,

Nethack!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 15:05

KoboldLord wrote: Most of our current concept of 'high fantasy' comes from people fanwanking flavor rationalizations for transplanted wargaming conceits such as this one.

I agree and in fact wrote the exact same thing in 7th grade history
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner