Favorite moments/concepts in Crawl

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 18:19

Favorite moments/concepts in Crawl

I didn't think this was specific enough for GDD, so putting it here.

Inspired by the Tedium thread, I wanted to start this thread to focus on moments in DCSS that are satisfying, challenge you, and are either fun and/or rewarding.

1. I'm a huge fan of spell combos and situational spells. I love Petrify + LRD, Ignite Poison, Corpse Rot, and things like OOD that require a bit more caution before use. I wish there were more situational spells in the game and less "this kills the thing."

2. The moment when I tab-splatted a MiBe the first patch after slime things could merge and I tried to fight an enormous one in a hallway.

3. New Vault soldier types

4. The murderfest that is Orc. I just find it hella fun.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 18:21

Re: Favorite moments/concepts in Crawl

Stealth-based stabbing.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
tcjsavannah

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 22:44

That first time you cast (successfully) Tornado/Fire Storm/Ice Storm (or whatever it's called now)
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 22:48

First time I killed Cerebov, then the second, and the third, and the 50th
Spoiler: show
>:V=3

For this message the author vengefulcarrot has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 23:11

Curaring Antaeus.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 23:51

TeshiAlair wrote:2. The moment when I tab-splatted a MiBe the first patch after slime things could merge and I tried to fight an enormous one in a hallway.

Code:
The titanic slime creature punishes you for immense pain!!!

Trapping an unseen horror in a hallway with a cloud of flame.

Code:

#########
....@}§..
#########

I have you now, my pretty...Ufufuu...
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 01:37

TeshiAlair wrote:4. The murderfest that is Orc. I just find it hella fun.

Oh god, cleaving is absolutely hilarious in Orc.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 01:57

Finding great stuff, especially early on. Wish unrandart items spawned more frequently.

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 03:36

Finding a shaolin ring, a +5 +4 bow of flaming, and a centaur barding all on D:1 on my CeHu. I'm not shitting you, that happened, and I died because I was a noob.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 04:28

Tiktacy wrote:Finding a shaolin ring, a +5 +4 bow of flaming, and a centaur barding all on D:1 on my CeHu. I'm not shitting you, that happened, and I died because I was a noob.

I got a similar situation going on with my Gargoyle winning rng game. Almost died like a noob against rupert, would have made me feel like smashing my keyboard if I did. His berserk last longer than mine = hax.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 04:54

2. The moment when I tab-splatted a MiBe the first patch after slime things could merge and I tried to fight an enormous one in a hallway.
I've done that...not so much fun. I didn't realize the gigantic slime was so damaging but I learned it well. :D

For myself...
1. My first realization that there was a god of decks...
2. Using the new god of Elemental Chaos (or whatever he is called). It's absolutely hilarious having monsters run through the elemental pools to get to me only for them to die when they get there.
3. Winning
4. The forums sometimes. (And thus you guys...)
5. Playing a NaTm for the first time with Chei as my god and making it all the way to Zot before splatting horribly.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 15:53

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 9.48.01 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 9.48.01 pm.png (353.63 KiB) Viewed 9607 times

the moment when you see them through the wall

For this message the author headcrab0803 has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 16:23

headcrab0803 wrote:
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 9.48.01 pm.png

the moment when you see them through the wall

Ashenzari reasons

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 16:54

"An unseen horror comes into view." Makes me chuckle every time.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 17:58

My favorite idea is that some of my own ideas are going to go into the game. Dating another dev online again, he told me all my ideas will go in this time if I use proper punctuation and capitalization, and spelling.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 19:49

twelwe wrote:My favorite idea is that some of my own ideas are going to go into the game. Dating another dev online again, he told me all my ideas will go in this time if I use proper punctuation and capitalization, and spelling.

I once played a MUD where this basically happened. It was funny. Basically the ability that went in was a super-enchant spell. Which could add random properties. So instead of just +1 damage, you could basically (in crawl terms) turn any weapon into a randart, and randomly apply wierd stats like +ac, +mr, brands, etc. You also had a decent chance of blowing the weapon up entirely, but this wasn't a permadeath game and you just got more weapons until you got basically absurdly powerful randarts. Good times.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 20:03

tasonir wrote:
twelwe wrote:My favorite idea is that some of my own ideas are going to go into the game. Dating another dev online again, he told me all my ideas will go in this time if I use proper punctuation and capitalization, and spelling.

I once played a MUD where this basically happened. It was funny. Basically the ability that went in was a super-enchant spell. Which could add random properties. So instead of just +1 damage, you could basically (in crawl terms) turn any weapon into a randart, and randomly apply wierd stats like +ac, +mr, brands, etc. You also had a decent chance of blowing the weapon up entirely, but this wasn't a permadeath game and you just got more weapons until you got basically absurdly powerful randarts. Good times.

sounds exactly like what i was thinking. Whoop[s, i mean, Sounds exactly what I was thinking.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 20:03

tasonir wrote:

but were you online dating a dev

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 01:55

I wasn't personally dating the dev, I was a third party to this arrangement. Additional off-topic stuff in spoiler:

It gets a lot more twisted if you care about the details: The super enchant spell was a clan ability; aka, only members of this one clan of crafters could ever use it. The player dating the dev was the leader of that clan - the player had complete control over who would ever be allowed to access this spell. I was in the clan and did have access on one of my characters.

And while this didn't have an impact on the code base, a lot of drama was created when it was discovered that the player dating the dev was a trans woman who was still transitioning, but only ever reported to the dev that she was female, and not that she was born with male parts. If I recall correctly the dev made a surprise real life visit to try to find his girlfriend and was somewhat surprised. Dating as a transgendered person is a quagmire and I understand her trouble, but it's also really terrible to never mention it after a while...

In an attempt to stay on topic, my favorite moments are usually when I find spells I've been sorely looking for. I have a small list of spells I want just about always - regeneration, abjuration, blink; ones that are critical depending on my combo - statue/stoneskin, blade hands, haste, etc. I mostly just really want the spells I'm planning on depending on before I die depending on things I don't have. I'm usually a lot more adaptable to gear, but tend to really want the spells I planned for and won't change my mind.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 02:31

Well, this thread took a bit of a turn.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Hopeless, rockygargoyle, TehDruid, XuaXua

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 7th June 2014, 15:15

- Absolutely love the variation in spells; my biggest motivation almost always comes from wanting to try new spellsets. If any one aspect is, magic in Crawl would have to be my favourite.

- Also love discovering and exploiting those occasional synergies that run through the game. I'm sure I could do better.

- Getting badass gear, that you can actually use, is always such a simple, reliable, joy.

EDIT: Oh, and Vaults. It all comes together so nicely there.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 7th June 2014, 17:56

I just love how the rng forces players into paranoia.
Du hast dich zu weit vorgewagt, (Hinter diesen Mauern!) dich durch dieses Tor gewagt! (Hinter diesen Mauern!)

For this message the author aegis has received thanks:
Sandman25

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 9th June 2014, 19:58

I absolutely love the dragon corpse-to-dragon hide, dragon hide-to-dragon armor interaction. Even after I've found what should be the "perfect" armor for my character I still try to save one enchant scroll for this specific purpose. I also think the new dragon armor tiles look awesome, almost worth losing the old leather armor tile over.

For this message the author mellonbread has received thanks: 2
Hirsch I, MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 11th June 2014, 18:12

Your first rune mimic. Or that moment when you realize that you've found portals to both Spider and Snake. Mimics are the best enemy in Crawl, hands down. They're always hilarious. Someone pointed out to me recently that the flavour for fountain mimics has them splash to attack you. I love mimics.

For this message the author JBear has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th June 2014, 19:30

well, I find mimics to be the most annoying feature in the game. followed by trapdoor spiders. it messes with autoexplore, makes optimal to step in every item you find if you dont want to have your escape routes blocked when you need them, and just dont matter in any other situation. also, they are fustrating as hell. "oh look a CPA!" "of course it was a mimic. I hate this game. ctrlqyes"
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 05:46

Banishing Erolcha. Payback's a bitch, bitch!
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
Reptisaurus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 06:01

Discovering a new vault that is somehow a pop culture joke.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 07:46

For me it was and always will be using sticky flame on sheep. Giggled maniacally :D .

For this message the author spindart has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 16th June 2014, 05:55

XuaXua wrote:Discovering a new vault that is somehow a pop culture joke.

quite a lot of my vaults are inspired by pop culture, though to be fair most of the time it's usually not obvious just from the vault layout since i try to not be obvious about it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th June 2014, 06:36

what's an example? I don't think I've ever thought about pop culture during a run, so I guess I didn't catch it...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th June 2014, 06:44

when you miss a goddamn spriggan 10 goddamn times and then hit it for !!! damage out of the blue

what's an example? I don't think I've ever thought about pop culture during a run, so I guess I didn't catch it...

The Indiana Jones vault with human skeleton, a whip and some snakes.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 02:41

and a stupid boulder beetle to behind. I died to that vault not even an hour ago.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 04:03

Equipment:
-Ripping through Vaults hordes with javelins of penetration
-Training Evocations to the 20s and blasting everything like nobody's business. Rods are particle cannons.
-Invistabbing.
-Crazy Yiuf's Quarterstaff of Chaos, quarterstaves, lajatangs.
-Yaktaurs commiting suicide with reflection
-LARGE ROCKS

Food&Necro:
-Eating elven flesh - This is my fucking favourite, bonus kobold points for elven flesh of twins of different genders (it's like EATING A DOUBLE RAINBOW :twisted: )
-Predatory necromancy: suck the life out of enemies, kill them, reanimate their skeletons, eat their flesh. See that yaktaur skeleton? It was a particularly tasty captain.
-Death Channel
-Killing popcorn while you are eating because you're a minotaur. You don't disturb a minotaur while s/he's having a snack!!

Combos:
-Cheibriados + Unarmed
-Vaults:5 entry, you know what to do: rF+++, scroll of immolation, SLOUCH. It's beautiful.
-Kobold hunter with a crossbow.
-Ogre^Makhleb / Ogre^Qazlal = Oni
-Xom + *tele

Places:
-Labyrinths
-The Abyss
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 15:31

My favorite moment is when Zin expelled Blork: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2230

Second favorite was when my TSO crusader got sent to the Abyss, the mass of demons and other horrors closed in, and a daeva showed up to help me hack my way through them. It was a sublime experience; I'm a sucker for flavorful events. Sad that it looks like thing like this'll never happen again and the next one I meet will be shouting "I am holier than thou; be smitten and burned, otherwise stalwart ally who could aid in my god's crusade!", but that's a discussion for a locked topic elsewhere. (Yeah, a little bitter.)

Third favorite is when I happened upon the autumnal Ecumenical Temple. I've never seen it since, but the unique layout and feel compared to the typical symmetrical "let's just put a bunch of altars in a convenient cluster on the ground and be done with it" was great. It had a wonderful "forgotten ruin with lost shrines" feel to it. I also really like those ruin shrines that occasionally show up for Ashenzari (and possibly other gods, haven't seen them often). Essentially interesting vaults/mini-vaults, I guess.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner