are my ideas too simple?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 04:14

are my ideas too simple?

sometiems i wonder with the devs, they ignore almost everything i suggest, none of it ever goes in. Is this because I don`t write thousands of paragraphs arguing my ideas? Is there some word count goal I need to reach? Should I format my posts better? Should I propose massive, sweeping changes that I swear I could code in, if I only wanted to, but would rather pass because I prefer design and not code? There must be something I haven`t though of
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hirsch I, Kismet

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 04:49

Re: are my ideas too simple?

From what I've seen somewhere around 90% of suggested ideas never make it in, even among those posted on the dev wiki. I really don't think you should be taking it this personally.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 06:51

Word volume is vitally important, but don't forget frequency as well. If you don't suggest enough things it's easy for devs to get sidetracked and simply forget to put your proposals in. I think they appreciate when important stuff is put in all caps as well, or at least marked with exclamation points. Don't doubt the substance, it's just a matter of form.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 06:56

Mixing up 0 and O is a very good way to emphasize the importance of your numbers.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 12:47

twelwe wrote:sometiems i wonder with the devs, they ignore almost everything i suggest, none of it ever goes in. Is this because I don`t write thousands of paragraphs arguing my ideas? Is there some word count goal I need to reach? Should I format my posts better? Should I propose massive, sweeping changes that I swear I could code in, if I only wanted to, but would rather pass because I prefer design and not code? There must be something I haven`t though of

are you kidding, from the day you created HULK I set my pager to literally vibrate every time twelwe posts another moon shot in CYC. Then the apparatus kicks in. Its a system where my pager flashes the twelwe tavern text right on screen. I dont read it all through right away, but a sentence at a time and write that sentence into crawl code on my dedicated crawl laptop before the next sentence because that is the tao of development and because I cant replay my pager messages. Every commit is of the highest quality and purity of expression and goes into my dedicated crawl twelwe DCSS_NEXT_GEN branch I assure you. I will release this branch when the world is ready to understand crawl next gen, but not before lol. I admit my faith in you was a bit shaken when tach3 dropped Xom Wonderland and changed the world forever. But Im starting to think that Wonderland might be the gen after next gen (so next next gen) and when we get there the global video game community will be grateful and quite frankly beyond delighted.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Lasty, Sar, some12fat2move

Barkeep

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 14:53

gosh, B+ for effort gammafunk

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 22:49

Solid B+ right there gamma
Spoiler: show
>:V=3

For this message the author vengefulcarrot has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 00:21

Things that could happen: I merge weightless tonight, and begin finishing up this follow-up git branch sitting on my laptop that I've tentatively named "savetheitems". Or I could instead keep posting responses to twelwe until I only get thanks and replies without so much as a whiff of ingratitude.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 00:51

wow two devs replied, proof they read my threads and still ignore what i write
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 01:05

gammafunk accidentally joined the devteam twice, now he's...two-devs

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nicolae

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 01:26

B+death to post char limits
Last edited by Arrhythmia on Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
vengefulcarrot

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 09:23

wheals wrote:gammafunk accidentally joined the devteam twice, now he's...two-devs

Code:
while (success && gammafunk->numTimesJoined() != 27)
{
    success = gammafunk->joinDevTeam();
    if (!success)
    {           
       Dev* betadunk = new Dev();
       gammafunk->quit();
       delete gammafunk;
    }
}

Arrhythmia

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 13:13

vengefulcarrot wrote:
wheals wrote:gammafunk accidentally joined the devteam twice, now he's...two-devs

Code:
{
    if (!success)
    {           
       gammafunk->quit();
       delete gammafunk;
    }
}

memory leak

For this message the author vible has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 22:30

jeez you're missing the "point"er aren't you

archaeo

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 05:44

vengefulcarrot wrote:jeez you're missing the "point"er aren't you

No the Point*er is there...Ok maybe he did miss it... It just seemed so obvious.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 08:05

vengefulcarrot wrote:

Code:
{
    if (!success)
    {           
       gammafunk->quit();
       delete gammafunk;
    }
}

Even assuming that my object pointer is declared and allocated, you use the success variable without declaration or initialization. You delete the gammafunk object pointer without subsequent reallocation, yet attempt to access its method in the loop condition. Others have mentioned that you allocate betadunk repeatedly without usage or deallocation. Probably the success variable is superfluous and you can just access the joinDevTeam method instead of storing the result, but who knows what you meant given the deallocation you do in the if block.

D effort vengefulcarrrot. Twelwe do not hire or online date this so-called developer in order to implement the experimental pizza tornado branch. You can do much better.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 09:04

every pizza tornado branch dev application has been denied so far, why not one more preemptive denial?

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
gammafunk

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 09:41

gammafunk wrote:
vengefulcarrot wrote:

Code:
{
    if (!success)
    {           
       gammafunk->quit();
       delete gammafunk;
    }
}

Even assuming that my object pointer is declared and allocated, you use the success variable without declaration or initialization.

Obviously this is just a snippet, so you can't say it's an error, as it's probably defined elsewhere.

You delete the gammafunk object pointer without subsequent reallocation, yet attempt to access its method in the loop condition.

No, he does not. Deletion happens only if success is false, and if success is false, the loop condition will fail without calling numTimesJoined().

Others have mentioned that you allocate betadunk repeatedly without usage or deallocation.

Again, you can't be sure of that it's not used and deallocated. Consider implementation like that:
  Code:
static std::vector<Dev*> Dev::activeDevs;

Dev::Dev()
{
    activeDevs.push_back(this);
}

Then there's no memory leak in such case (regardless of whether this is a good coding practice or not). Also, it won't happen repeatedly, since the loop will end if success is false.
Last edited by stickyfingers on Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
vengefulcarrot

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 09:52

stickyfingers wrote:
  Code:
    activeDevs.push_back(this);

Oh no! The game development will stop completely if the active devs are just pushing things back!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 10:20

stickyfingers wrote:Obviously this is just a snippet, so you can't say it's an error, as it's probably defined elsewhere.

A snippet for a loop where you don't declare and initialize the loop variables? Seems like a pretty bad snippet to me.

stickyfingers wrote:No, he does not. Deletion happens only if success is false, and if success is false, the loop condition will fail without calling numTimesJoined().

This much is true, but the loop is just poorly written. Using the equality to 27 test as a way to invite bugs, using a while when a for or do-while would be better, I mean really.

stickyfingers wrote:Again, you can't be sure of that.

I'm fine if I can't be sure of exactly how bad vengefulcarrot's implementation is. It's bad enough that VC does not even warrant a C grade and he certainly isn't a high enough MASTER PIECE caliber developer for the pizza tornado branch. Twelwe was right to pre-emptively reject his application.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 12:20

Never said it was written well, just that it does not contain these errors by itself.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 12:30

gammafunk wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:Obviously this is just a snippet, so you can't say it's an error, as it's probably defined elsewhere.

A snippet for a loop where you don't declare and initialize the loop variables? Seems like a pretty bad snippet to me.

stickyfingers wrote:No, he does not. Deletion happens only if success is false, and if success is false, the loop condition will fail without calling numTimesJoined().

This much is true, but the loop is just poorly written. Using the equality to 27 test as a way to invite bugs, using a while when a for or do-while would be better, I mean really.

stickyfingers wrote:Again, you can't be sure of that.

I'm fine if I can't be sure of exactly how bad vengefulcarrot's implementation is. It's bad enough that VC does not even warrant a C grade and he certainly isn't a high enough MASTER PIECE caliber developer for the pizza tornado branch. Twelwe was right to pre-emptively reject his application.

There wasn't even a call to Add_Anchovies_And_Pepperoni(). What kind of pizza programmer forgets that?

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks:
gammafunk

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 29th May 2014, 00:56

Wow I caused a shitstorm didn't i. Let me say one thing the code I wrote was absolute junk no way illustrative of anything other than the joke that gammafunk will try join the dev team 27 times. There are no safety checks and the allocation shld be outside the loop. 27 should be defined as a constant etc etc etc.

But since we took this too seriously let me seriously this I wasn't grading gammafunk as B+ I was mimicking archaeo. And honestly if the code caused a memory leak it meant that gammafunk failed. In other words I have the utmost confidence that gammafunk will succeed. now calm down it's just a stupid snippet.

gammafunk

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 29th May 2014, 02:09

vengefulcarrot wrote:But since we took this too seriously let me seriously this I wasn't grading gammafunk as B+ I was mimicking archaeo. And honestly if the code caused a memory leak it meant that gammafunk failed. In other words I have the utmost confidence that gammafunk will succeed. now calm down it's just a stupid snippet.

Well if we're all being brutally honest let me just confess that I'm furious that archaeo graded me a B+ because my post was an all-out attempt to get twelwe to accept my application as the advanced lead software engineer of the pizza tornado branch. The fact is I didn't get offered so much a position as sauce technician and then mr-perfect-everyone-likes-me archaeo comes in to make me relive my grade in that structure and Interpretation of pizza programs course, which was the last straw. So VC its not that I took your snippet too seriously it's just that I was hurting on the inside...but I have to warn you that we do have the highest standards for the developer creation code posted on CYC ever since Grunt was added and someone messed up by accidentally executing an if block with the condition "if (grunt->religion = GOD_XOM)". We're still dealing with the fallout from that.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 29th May 2014, 02:56

HEY EVERYONE: YOUR`RE MOM!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 29th May 2014, 03:28

twelwe wrote:HEY EVERYONE: YOUR`RE MOM!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We are Whose mom?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 29th May 2014, 04:29

Hopeless wrote:
twelwe wrote:HEY EVERYONE: YOUR`RE MOM!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We are Whose mom?

Jeez, you're a terrible mother, aren't you?
take it easy

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 29th May 2014, 04:41

Arrhythmia wrote:
Hopeless wrote:

We are Whose mom?

Jeez, you're a terrible mother, aren't you?

Indeed. It is good for my children that they don't exist.

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks:
Sar

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner