Amulet of Resist Draining

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 14:50

Amulet of Resist Draining

Amulet of Resist Draining would replace Ring of Sustain Abilities AND Amulet of Warding. Both those items would no longer spawn.

Amulet of Resist Draining - rN+ and direct resistance to all forms of draining. (Sustain Abilities effect, AntiMagic melee and MP Drain Gaze (Ghost Moths and Eyes of Draining) take less MP, Vampires heal less from attacking you.)

I offer the idea because (1) SustAb is too good for a ring slot and should be bumped to amulet. (2) There is no way to resist MP Draining, which is annoying and often fatal. (3) Amulet of Warding is often referred to as the weakest amulet with the Warding effect almost never being helpful and the rN+ being its saving grace, and rN+ by itself really NOT being with an amulet slot. This combined item would be a fair choice of Amulet for anywhere with significant draining effects (Slime, Pan, Spider, Abyss etc.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Klown

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 15:03

Re: Amulet of Resist Draining

sustab... too strong? it is as useless as a plain wooden ring!
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 15:05

So, the idea is to bundle enough useless and mostly-useless effects together in hopes that you eventually reach a multiplier of zero high enough to boost its resulting value higher than nearly any other amulet?

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Hirsch I, khalil

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 15:21

That's a nerf to all casters who use crystal ball of energy. Especially bad for lich-form casters of non-Ash who will not have a way to resist Int drain because being confused is a death sentence for them.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 16:05

I actually thought it would be a good item that would make for an interesting choice in the Abyss and Glowing Pan especially protect yourself from Mutations or Stat Drain, since Stat Drain can be pretty damn fatal, especially to mummies. Also I do think SOMETHING should protect against MP Draining, because Ghost moths are game enders.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 16:08

if you trip over and hit ^qyes I guess.

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Hirsch I, Tiktacy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 16:25

bcadren wrote:Also I do think SOMETHING should protect against MP Draining, because Ghost moths are game enders.

While I love playing pure casters and hate Ghost Moths, I disagree that there should be a safe way to kill everything with spells. Even Wucad Mu does not always give MP but drains/confuses. That's because spells are more powerful than melee.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 16:34

bcadren wrote:Also I do think SOMETHING should protect against MP Draining, because Ghost moths are game enders.

Normally I would look at this kind of thread and think it was a joke, but with you being you I can't tell if you're joking or if you're actually serious. Do you really think an enemy that you only see maybe once or twice in any given game, and only if you got Spider and not Snake (or on the off chance that they spawned in Zot, which they rarely ever do), is so powerful that there needs to be an amulet that counters this enemy specifically?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 16:44

things with sticky flame are game-enders to me, particularly elves.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 17:04

dck wrote:things with sticky flame are game-enders to me, particularly elves.

I think we should remove rings of fire protection and amulets of conservation, and introduce a new amulet of resist napalm.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 17:41

KoboldLord wrote:So, the idea is to bundle enough useless and mostly-useless effects together in hopes that you eventually reach a multiplier of zero high enough to boost its resulting value higher than nearly any other amulet?
IMO there should be a fixedart with every mostly useless effect

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 17:49

The +0 Robe of Mostly Useless Effects (Ward, rSticky, sustab, stealth+)
like that?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 18:41

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 18:56

As I understand it, Stealth+ is less useful than Stealth skill because Stealth+ nonsensically doesn't stack with stabbing.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 19:03

stealth++ maybe does something, stealth+ is close to nothing. not useless, just... mostly useless.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 20:01

Hirsch I wrote:The +0 Robe of Mostly Useless Effects (Ward, rSticky, sustab, stealth+)
like that?

This needs to be a thing:

Ring of Incredibly Situational Usefulness {Ward, rSticky, rSteam, sustab, Hunger--, rChaos, rCurse, rPetrif, rGhost, rHoly, rVamp}

Spoiler: show
rPetrif = Resisistance to Petrification
rGhost = Resistance to ghostly flame
rHoly = Resists holy damage
rCurse = prevents the cursing of items and mummy death curses
rVamp = Resists the effects of vampiric brand
rChaos = resists effects of chaos
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 20:22

needs rOrder for Silver Stars, I think.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 00:06

If I had my druthers, ring of sustain abilities and rN+ would be merged into one ring, and warding would lose its frankly bizarre rN+ BS and just have a much more pronounced and powerful anti-summon effect (which could put it on par with other amulets at least). I also feel negative energy resistance should do a bit more to mitigate how much skill drain you can get, I've had dudes with rN+ or even rN++ get some nasty drain really fast; I'm not familiar with the numbers though, so maybe that was bad luck and clustering illusion. =sustenance should just be removed, and good and bad stat rings alike should be guaranteed to spawn with higher magnitude of values than 1 (so +/- 2 at least), as per the same reasoning as making stat mutations +/- 2.

None of the above is a huge deal or really bothers me that much, but I think those tweaks would remove some "jewelry dilution" problems.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Arrhythmia, vengefulcarrot

Barkeep

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 10:05

and into wrote:=sustenance should just be removed

Thankfully, they've already done this. But I'm with you on everything else.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
and into

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 12:53

and into wrote:{amulet of} warding would lose its frankly bizarre rN+ BS and just have a much more pronounced and powerful anti-summon effect (which could put it on par with other amulets at least).

In addition to existing protection, would increase chances of summon existence time-out in relation to proximity and allow a miniscule time-out chance for adjacent permanent summons. Drawback: can affect summons of caster in proximity, but not permanent summons.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 21:52

and into wrote: and warding would lose its frankly bizarre rN+ BS and just have a much more pronounced and powerful anti-summon effect (which could put it on par with other amulets at least).

I would love to see it get a mass abjuration effect. Targets everything in LOS, but only once, not a sustained aura of abjuration. Active ability, evoking it costs a few mp (2-3? Not 6). Very weak without evocations to the point you're basically wasting a turn with 0 evo, but can do decent abjuration timer reduction in the 5-10 evo range, and if you have evo up around 20 or so can reliably abjur most summons.

I frequently train summoning to 12-14 or so just for abjuration because summons are dumb and tedious, having an item alternative would be cool.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 22:02

Amulet of Abjuration

Gives a continuous but comparatively weak Aura of Abjuration effect that scales with Evocations and stacks with the spell.
Requires some ramp-up time a la Gourmand to discourage excessive swapping.

----------------------
Alternately...

Amulet of Abjuration

Newly arrived enemy summons in LOS have an Evocations-dependent chance to immediately fizzle.
Requires some ramp-up time a la Gourmand to discourage excessive swapping.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 22:11

It seems to be glossed over than the concept of Stealth+ is widely considered rather useless, and yet they are adding a set of rings for Stealth+ and Stealth-? And then people talk about "Jewelry dilution." Odd.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 22:38

Stealth is not useless at all, it is just a matter of small numbers. There used to be items that increased stealth by 20, which was small enough to be inconsequential. Rings of stealth/loudness give +/-50, which provides a real boost. But it needs to be increased further if it wants to have any serious shot at competing for a ring slot against wizardry/resists/AC/invisibility/etc.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 22:40

So, let's just tweak numbers until it's good.
How about +80?
+120?
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 23:30

on a character that cares about stealth I would already much rather wear ring of stealth than a resistance ring

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 08:17

NessOnett wrote:It seems to be glossed over than the concept of Stealth+ is widely considered rather useless, and yet they are adding a set of rings for Stealth+ and Stealth-? And then people talk about "Jewelry dilution." Odd.

+50 stealth is basically useless for some characters (in heavy armor +50 stealth still won't nudge you outside "extremely unstealthy" most of the time, for instance), but it is useful for everyone else, and very useful for some. One thing that's nice is that, for those characters who will find it useful, it is useful all the time. You don't need or want to swap it on for particular situations, so it isn't adding to the (imo rather unfun) phenomenon of jewelry swapping. +/-Stealth even avoids the sustain abilities problem, which is that =sustab is really helpful as a strategic choice in a couple of specific places/circumstances (Tomb, you got deterioration 2/3) but otherwise nearly inconsequential. So yeah, I'd say +/- stealth instead of hunger/sustenance is an improvement.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 13:03

50 Stealth is definitely solid, particularly for already-stealthy characters. In order to make it more appealing for non-stealthy characters, how about having rings of stealth set your minimum stealth equal to that provided by the ring, so that no matter how heavy your armour is and how low your dex is you can still wear a stealth ring to get up to stealth 50? I can't imagine that it would be broken, but it would make the item less completely useless for extremely unstealthy characters.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner