Distortion Statue

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 15:08

Distortion Statue

Proposing a replacement for -cTele on floors. It's an enemy that's harmless on its own; disintegration vulnerable but has a few effects.

Base enemy:
distortion statue (8) | Spd: 3-16 (varies) (stationary) | HD: 6 | HP: 90 | AC/EV: 15/7 | non-living | Res: magic(immune), fire++, cold++, elec++, poison++, drown, rot+++, neg+++, torm | XP: 110 |Sz: Large | Int: high.

Effects:
  • Exudes 'distortional energy' (a silent specter-sized aura) that:
    • Prevents magic mapping (both via scrolls and via passive mapping mutation); Ashenzari can pierce it though.
    • Cannot be teleported into. (Random teleports cannot select tiles with the Aura, you cannot select it with tele control or cBlink).
    • Delays random normal teleport out. (Not as much as the Abyss, but pretty badly).
    • All other -cTele effects.
    • Raises everything's evasion.
  • Casts "Spacial Rend" via statue effect. (Similarly to Orange Crystal Statues, this is not listed as a spell and just happens when their turn comes up.) causes everything in its LoS to blink randomly.
Notes:
  • High EV (for a statue) is due to innate phase shift-like effect.
  • Variable speed isn't randomized; it's set as part of the vault. Lower speeds used for early runes, high speeds used for Hell Runes, etc.
  • At least one of these would be placed in every $ vault (including Elf:$ and maybe Crypt:$) they could also be placed in normal vaults, if the vault is to be 'hidden' (immune to magic mapping).
  • Whether to use them in Ziggurats or just the normal -cTele is in the air IMO. Their primary purpose is to protect endvaults/runes.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 15:11

Re: Distortion Statue

I actually really don't like them in end floors, but I'm a fan of the "dynamic trap" feature of statues like the archer statue, so I'm quite a fan of this idea. It also has a "questy" feel to it- find the distortion status on the floor and kill it. I'd make them really fragile, but always hidden in a minivault.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 18:13

Remove disintegration vulnerability - it's gone from other statues and it's not something they're going to add back in now.

Also a statue with 7 EV is funny to me. I suppose it could be bending space, but the other statues have EV 1.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 23:33

tasonir wrote:Remove disintegration vulnerability - it's gone from other statues and it's not something they're going to add back in now.

Also a statue with 7 EV is funny to me. I suppose it could be bending space, but the other statues have EV 1.

(To be precise, monster phase shift adds exactly 8 EV)
(Or rather, 8 of the EV it's listed as having is due to the phase shift effect)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner