Lycanthropy (Spell)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 10:07

Lycanthropy (Spell)

Werewolves again? Will Bcadren shut up about Werewolves?
Through my many attempts at forced Transmutation themed races, gods, mutations etc. We've figured out that forced transmutation can't work as anything other than a punishment. BUT, a Wolf Form 'Lycanthropy' spell could still work for something. Namely, giving you the positives of a wolf form WHEN YOU WANT THEM, but requiring a good amount of skill to unlock.

Lycanthropy (Transmutations/Hexes Level 7). Transmute yourself into the form of a wolf. Wolf form gets the following:
  • Halfling Size
  • UC Stabbing (Same as Felids, your UC gets Long Blades level Stabbing)
  • Claws and Fangs (Not sure if this should be the same as the mutations or a different (unique) Slaying bonus and Aux attack.
  • Dex +5
  • Swiftness
  • HP+30%
  • Felid equipment restrictions (everything, except Jewelry melded, no Throwing).
  • 9 AC, rAcid+, rCorr [Flavored as thick fur and tough skin]
  • Hexes Spellpower Enhancer

Would make an interesting mid-late game stealth option for Transmuters that might see more popularity than the dragon form due to high synchronicity with good dodging skill as well. Also considering having an exhaustion or similar afterward (similar to the slowness cost of Swift and Berserk). It flavourwise fits with Lycanthropy, but I'm not sure the spell is powerful enough to warrant it from a gameplay standpoint.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 10:11

Re: Lycanthropy (Spell)

Hexes are "spells that mess with other dudes without (primarily) doing direct damage". So Invis is a hex because it prevents other monsters from seeing you (but actually because Enchantments school was too OP).

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 10:15

Dragon form would like to have a word with you.
Spoiler: show
>:V=3

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 10:16

Sar wrote:Hexes are "spells that mess with other dudes without (primarily) doing direct damage". So Invis is a hex because it prevents other monsters from seeing you (but actually because Enchantments school was too OP).

I dual-schooled with Hexes because Hexes have a stabbing focus (and so does this) and I didn't think we'd want two level 7 pure Tm.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 10:32

So basically: turn yourself into a felid but with twice as much HP and AC?

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 10:44

Kramin42 wrote:So basically: turn yourself into a felid but with twice as much HP and AC?
Yep. That's the idea. But then you could say that Necromutation is turning yourself into a Mummy without the horrid apts. so it's not a first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 12:45

bcadren wrote:
Kramin42 wrote:So basically: turn yourself into a felid but with twice as much HP and AC?
Yep. That's the idea. But then you could say that Necromutation is turning yourself into a Mummy without the horrid apts. so it's not a first.

But you invested skills in necromancy and transmutation to get necromutation up in the first place which could have been used for other things that involves killdudes. Which means you are technically wasting skill points to get something up that is potentially not needed in a standard game or even in extended for that matter. Anyway that's not the point.

Personally I would love to play a wolf dude that murders things. Dithmangos shadow wolf has some cool flavour imo. Its like dark chocolate with more dark chocolate.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 12:49

Ideally new spells would set the bar a bit higher than "nmut does it too".
Also this is a quite silly form overall because there is no synergy between UC and hexes, thus most players won't have any sort of incentive to train hexes even further than what casting invis requires (okay, spellpower, but invis is ridiculous enough that most don't care anyway) and indeed also no incentive at all to train enough tmut to cast a level 7 spell which needs training in a school they couldn't care less about; furthermore this spell ALSO requires you have a decent amount of UC to deal damage on an appropriate level, unlike say something like DF where you're biting and mauling orbs of fire with single digit UC and haste.

That said, even if the spell level was normalized down into sanity I still don't think it's a very interesting form, the stabbing is pretty much useless (there are way better options when you actually want to stab things) and the hexes enhancer (particularly paired with cat speed) would lead to silly situations where it's used as reusable brilliance to cast hexes and then land a normal stab.

And man I am having the weirdest deja vu right now.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 12:51

dck wrote:And man I am having the weirdest deja vu right now.

Is it a full moon?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 13:26

Maybe I don't know the werewolf literature deep enough, but a small, sneaky and stabby werewolf is new to me. Aren't you confusing werewolves and vampires?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 13:53

If i remember correctly confusing touch can be used by uc dudes
wait.. its not like its deleted in trunk or something right

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 15:17

headcrab0803 wrote:If i remember correctly confusing touch can be used by uc dudes
wait.. its not like its deleted in trunk or something right

Sure, but it's not like you need a lot of Hexes to use Confusing Touch.

Agree that this spell has resemblance to necromut, and not in a good way.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 15:57

bcadren wrote:Werewolves again? Will Bcadren shut up about Werewolves?
Through my many attempts at forced Transmutation themed races, gods, mutations etc.

It feels like you're trying to make D&D.
There are : a werewolve race, a werewolve feat, a werewolve background, a werewolve theme. :|

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 18:42

e: read gud
take it easy

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner