File200's Consolidated Ideas Thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 21:51

File200's Consolidated Ideas Thread

I spend a lot of time thinking about ideas for games (and not enough time coding) and often feel the urge to tell people about them. So from now on, whenever I have a new idea, I'll post it in this thread to avoid cluttering the forums. I vow to post a new idea at least once a day. If an idea I post here gets positive reception, I'll work on implementing it after I finish with the defensive god, yeeks, gold dwarves and the psionic god.

So let's start this off:

God Proposal: Unghotha the Ancient

Purpose:
Currently, joining a deity other than Chei has virtually no downside. Conducts are rarely strict enough to meaningfully affect gameplay and abilities only add to your power. So this god demands a portion of your power in exchange for his abilities, making joining him a double-edged sword. Furthermore, few deities make good use of the invocations skill, so this god will have many abilities that scale on invocations. He demands you remember him, so you lose piety over time if you don't use his abilities frequently.

Lore:
An ancient and mostly forgotten deity. Unghotha's altars are weathered and beaten. Unghotha feeds off the physical forms of his followers, but in return grants a host of strange and powerful abilities. All stats and health that Unghotha takes are returned upon abandoning him, and he will not reduce a stat below 1. Unghotha also feeds off of ephemeral magic, and demands his followers commit souls (corpses) and magical trinkets (consumables) to him. All of Unghotha's abilities scale with invocations and cost mp, food, piety and one temporary point from all of your stats. Stat loss from ability use recovers more rapidly than regular stat loss.

. . . . . . - Unghotha takes one point from each of your stats. You can sacrifice corpses and consumables (potions, scrolls and wands) to gain piety.

* . . . . . - Unghotha takes 10% of your mp. Gain activated ability: Abstract Haze. Creates a cloud in a space adjacent to you. The cloud travels away from you in a clockwise spiral, passing through walls and enemies and dealing damage to anything it touches. Hard to target, but deals good damage. Scales on invocations.

* * . . . . - Unghotha takes another point from each of your stats. Gain activated ability: Reality Rend. Deals damage to all creatures in LoS equal to (invocations)% of their current hp and then another 1d(invo/3) damage. Resistible by HD.

* * * . . . - Unghotha takes 10% of your health. Gain activated ability: Conversion Field. Attempts to polymorph all enemies in a 3-tile radius of you into harmless sheep. Resistible by MR. Probability of polymorph increases with invocations.

* * * * . . - Unghotha takes another point from each of your stats. Gain activated ability: Gravity Well. Pulls all enemies in LoS to a point you target. Functions like tornado. Deals damage, which is resistible by HD.

* * * * * . - Unghotha takes another 10% of your mp. Gain activated ability: Luminous Outbreak. Illuminates all enemies in LoS with baleful radiation, reducing their accuracy, damage, AC and evasion, and revealing invisible enemies. Effect scales with invocations and lasts up to 50 aut. Effects get more pronounced as time goes on until it ends. Resistible by MR.

* * * * * * - Unghotha takes another 10% of your hp. Gain activated ability: Ruinous Augmentation. Grants a piety/40 bonus to slaying and a comparable bonus to spellpower. Duration scales with invocations.

Joining Unghotha gives you an almost complete character kit as long as you exclusively train invocations and defensive skills, but his abilities come at a high price. It's wise to supplement his powers with other forms of offense, and to keep your piety level within a certain range.
Last edited by File200 on Monday, 12th May 2014, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 22:10

Re: File200's Consolidated Ideas Thread

Race Proposal: Plutonian

Plutonians are radioactive humanoids. They don't hunger, due to their inner reserves of power. Instead, any action that would cause them to lose nutrition (spells, attacking) gives them glow (Yes, I know this is like Crawl Light). Plutonians gain additional hp and mp regeneration the higher their glow is. Glow decreases naturally over time. If a plutonian reaches critical glow, instead of malmutating he will meltdown, dealing damage to himself and all enemies in a one tile radius, and rotting some max hp. The damage done to enemies is greater than the damage done to self, so this can be used offensively. Plutonian bodies are immutable, and any attempt to mutate them instead causes rot.

Plutonians have excellent elemental magic and have +2 in all elemental schools. Their other magic aptitudes are weak, especially necromancy. They have either flat or positive fighting aptitudes.

Starting at level 9, plutonians can activate an overclock state. This causes them to gain extra glow from attacking and spellcasting, but they get an XL/9 slaying bonus and a comparable wizardry bonus. In this state, glow does not decrease naturally.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 22:35

Conversion field should be a Xom effect, not a reward
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 02:52

TeshiAlair wrote:Conversion field should be a Xom effect, not a reward

Fine, the ability was edited to sheepify enemies. Any comments on the plutonians?

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 16:45

Unique Proposal: D'Gorom

D'Gorom is a demon that appears as a writhing mass of gargantuan tentacles (like a demonic tentacled monstrosity), with many different colors. It produces tentacles of varying color (similar to a kraken), each with different effects. It has a tentacle for each of several damaging brands of weapon (vorpal, fire, cold, draining, and poison) and one that constricts. You can tell what each tentacle does by its color. It moves very quickly and can smite you or afflict you with fear. It appears in the Depths or in Pandemonium.
Last edited by File200 on Monday, 12th May 2014, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 17:19

Unghotha reminds me of the sacrifice god proposal.

Plutonians are kind of interesting since you're encouraged to keep on fighting/casting rather than resting after every fight. Certainly they are going to play differently to standard crawl species. I'll have to think it over some more.

Not sure of the purpose of overclock state though. Seems that you don't have the interesting tradeoff between resting and decaying glow during this state.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 17:35

Leaving the concept of the monster (in the most literal sense of the word) aside for a moment, you can perfectly do a ton things while constricted and affected by fear in the game as it is; if this were to ever exist (which hopefully it will not), making the interaction between fear and constriction from this particular monster have a special casing where all you can do is use consumables (no magic, no ranged weapons, no divine abilities or innate abilities) seems quite strange.
What exactly would this achieve? A guy who doesn't know letting a tentacle touch you while feared means death fucks up once and then if he doesn't have X consumables then he just dies and has to press . for a while while it happens?
Does this sound like a fun monster to have in the game to you?

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
sgrunt

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 17:59

dck wrote:Leaving the concept of the monster (in the most literal sense of the word) aside for a moment, you can perfectly do a ton things while constricted and affected by fear in the game as it is; if this were to ever exist (which hopefully it will not), making the interaction between fear and constriction from this particular monster have a special casing where all you can do is use consumables (no magic, no ranged weapons, no divine abilities or innate abilities) seems quite strange.
What exactly would this achieve? A guy who doesn't know letting a tentacle touch you while feared means death fucks up once and then if he doesn't have X consumables then he just dies and has to press . for a while while it happens?
Does this sound like a fun monster to have in the game to you?

Yeah, this is why I made a containment thread my bad malformed ideas. In this case, I wanted to make it a special-cased "Terrified beyond all reason" state, but I guess that wouldn't be a particularly fun interaction with the game. I'll edit out the feared + constricted part. Other than that, I think the idea of a land-kraken has some merit. But maybe that's why I'm an engineer and not a designer.

DracheReborn wrote:Not sure of the purpose of overclock state though. Seems that you don't have the interesting tradeoff between resting and decaying glow during this state.

I just wanted a way to make them more viable in melee, hence the slaying bonus. But adding extra glow to their regular attacks would work just fine.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 18:02

dck wrote:making the interaction between fear and constriction from this particular monster have a special casing where all you can do is use consumables (no magic, no ranged weapons, no divine abilities or innate abilities) seems quite strange.

Reminds me of a short stretch when some maladjusted designer was considering Cause Fear + Mesmerise on the same enemy. Turns out not being able to move is terrible, never mind everything else.

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 18:14

clearly get said deranged individual to make it into a new unique called forrest.

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, sgrunt

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 19:34

On second thought, Plutonians as proposed don't really work. One, glow/hunger giving strictly positive status (hp/mp regen) makes it prone to abuse. What's stopping you from swinging at plants or empty air just to keep your glow up? It's a bit like Vampire blood states, except there's a clearly optimal state where regen is highest but before you meltdown that you want to be in all the time.

Two, there's some things in current crawl "balanced" around high hunger, notably Ely's healing. The meltdown mechanic keeps the abuse from being too extreme, but since glow decays naturally plutonians become effectively a hungerless species like Djinn before them. The experience with Dj was that a lot of things had to be special cased for them, and even then they never really worked well. Not sure how plutonians would be better.

My idea to get around these issues is for glow not to decay ever except by killing enemies. Thus gaming glow becomes undesirable - the next fight might push you over the edge to meltdown, causing hp rot. And hunger abuse hopefully goes away, since you're not guaranteed to be able to reduce glow at will. I'd also suggest that normal hunger causes glow to build up, so you're always pressed to find more enemies to kill.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
File200

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 19:52

DracheReborn wrote:On second thought, Plutonians as proposed don't really work. One, glow/hunger giving strictly positive status (hp/mp regen) makes it prone to abuse. What's stopping you from swinging at plants or empty air just to keep your glow up? It's a bit like Vampire blood states, except there's a clearly optimal state where regen is highest but before you meltdown that you want to be in all the time.

Two, there's some things in current crawl "balanced" around high hunger, notably Ely's healing. The meltdown mechanic keeps the abuse from being too extreme, but since glow decays naturally plutonians become effectively a hungerless species like Djinn before them. The experience with Dj was that a lot of things had to be special cased for them, and even then they never really worked well. Not sure how plutonians would be better.

My idea to get around these issues is for glow not to decay ever except by killing enemies. Thus gaming glow becomes undesirable - the next fight might push you over the edge to meltdown, causing hp rot. And hunger abuse hopefully goes away, since you're not guaranteed to be able to reduce glow at will. I'd also suggest that normal hunger causes glow to build up, so you're always pressed to find more enemies to kill.

That is a fair assessment. I never played with djinn, but I understand they were problematic. Mummies balance the hungerless mechanic well, so I'll look to them a bit.

New proposal: glow is always increasing, and you have 1 level of device heal malus, so most of your combat healing comes from keeping your glow up. Your glow goes down when you kill enemies or use healing/curing from a potion or device. The latter condition is because I want to have some way to reduce glow out of combat, so you don't have to desperately scrabble from enemy to enemy. If you always had to be killing enemies to avoid rot, then plutonians would just become magical ghouls. This produces a nice balance, I think: you're encouraged to go from enemy to enemy and your regeneration gives the capacity to do so. At the same time, you can stop your glow with certain limited resources so travelling between stashes doesn't become a major risk.

They could also have a mummy-like ability where they sacrifice max mp to suppress glow for a period of time. Perhaps they should also be able to increase their glow voluntarily, in case you want to regenerate quickly in an upcoming fight. This way you don't have to sit around mashing 5 while you wait to gain glow.

Edit: talked to a friend who thinks that rotting hp is a terrible idea for meltdown. He recommends just an area damage effect centered on yourself so you're punished for abusing high-level spells in combat, but not permanently. Also, this way meltdown is a possible offensive option.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 18:55

Monster Proposal: Exploding Goblins

Exploding goblins are indistinguishable from regular goblins until you kill them, at which point they produce a 3-tile radius explosion. Exploding goblins are more likely to spawn the higher your winstreak is.

Serious proposal:

Inbog, the Dark

Based on and into's Ipoiis proposal and bcadren's king of hell proposal. This proposal is more about flavor than game design, but can be refined.

Inbog is a truly evil deity, an enemy of all that is good. It seeks to enslave the souls of the mortal world and claim dominion over the outer planes. Inbog is non-ecumenical, but an altar is guaranteed to spawn in the vestibule of hell. Inbog will protect you from the wrath of whatever gods you abandon, but worshiping it incites the wrath of the good gods. You occasionally suffer wrath effects from the three good gods during worship. Inbog appreciates killing anyone who doesn't worship him (any hostile monster) and converting monsters to his cause. Occasionally, evil creatures such as demons and necromancers will recognize you as their superior in worship of the Dark God and turn neutral. The chance is higher depending on your piety, your XL, and the HD of the creature. All uniques are heretics and have no chance of converting.

Abilities Granted:

. . . . . . - rHoly-: You are now vulnerable to holy wrath weapons.
rWrath: You are protected from the wrath of whatever deity you left.
Overlord: Demons and monsters considered evil by the good gods have a chance to turn neutral.

* . . . . . - Activated ability: Dark Conversion. Deals damage to a target enemy and has a chance to turn them neutral. Chance depends on invocations and monster HD. Costs piety and health, but more than refunds the piety cost if the conversion is successful. You gain partial experience for converting enemies.

* * . . . . - No new abilities gained.

* * * . . . - Activated ability: Fearsome Visage. Acts as a fear scroll, and checks HD to resist. Chance of causing fear increases with invocations. Cost piety, mp and health.

* * * * . . - Passive ability: Malign Aura. Monsters standing next to you take constant damage, partially from negative energy and partially irresistible. Damage depends on piety.

* * * * * . - Activated ability: Demon Form. Turns you into a demon. Your armour is melded, and you gain rF++, rC++, rTorment, rHellfire and flight. Costs 10-15 piety, health, and mp, and costs significant nutrition.

* * * * * * -Passive ability: Malign Defense. Partially mitigates the damage bonus of holy weapons.

Punishments: Inbog doesn't punish you harshly for leaving him, as he has already claimed your soul and received your service. However, he will no longer protect you from the good gods, who will bring their full wrath to bare against you. If you worship Inbog, you are no longer eligible to worship any good god.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 20:07

I think cure/heal pots to reduce glow are fine, even desirable as you point out.

File200 wrote:Edit: talked to a friend who thinks that rotting hp is a terrible idea for meltdown. He recommends just an area damage effect centered on yourself so you're punished for abusing high-level spells in combat, but not permanently. Also, this way meltdown is a possible offensive option.

Hmm, not sure I ilke this. IMO meltdown should have a strategic cost, like rotted HP or something else, just so that you can't abuse the glow mechanic. If needed, add something else as an offensive option, but don't take away the cost of meltdown.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 21:53

Welp, since Thundamoo is handling the coding on Rhundival and I've stalled out on the psionic god, it looks like plutonians are my next project. Will probably be finished in about a week. Meltdown will rot hp in the initial testing phase.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 01:54

Two quick joke proposals because I'm tired and my eyes hurt:

Unique Proposal: Dawkins

Dawkins is a powerful wizard and noted unbeliever. As long as Dawkins is in your line of sight, you lose all advantages of your religion and all godly abilities are cancelled. Dawkins has confuse, malmutate, fireball and bolt of cold as spells. Dawkins drops a mutagenic corpse, which is guaranteed to give you 1 or 2 levels of evolution.

Monster Proposal: Plutonian

Like the proposed player species, plutonians have high regeneration and are prone to meltdowns. When the plutonian spawns, it receives a randomized meltdown timer. The meltdown timer goes down every turn the plutonian is in your line of sight. When it reaches 0, a meltdown occurs damaging everything in sight, and the counter is reset. Plutonians carry weapons and armour and each one has one of the following spells, chosen at random: LRD, Fireball, Throw icicle or Airstrike.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 00:06

Triple post because nobody cares about my thread :( . Two species proposals and a spell:

Species Proposal: Moon Troll Redux

Based on the proposal here: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... moon_troll

Moon trolls are hairy, diminutive cousins of trolls, hailing from the frozen wastelands of the north. They have an innate wellspring of magic within them, and have developed the ability to regenerate mp the way normal trolls regenerate hp. Like trolls, they possess sharp claws, regeneration and a somewhat fast metabolism. Unlike trolls, they are human-sized and have moderate intelligence. They have poor aptitudes in everything except certain schools of magic, like ice (+2) and necromancy (+1). They have -3 spellcasting, so hunger is a major concern.

Innate mutations:
Mana regeneration
Regeneration 1
Deformed body 1
Fast metabolism 1
Carnivore 1
Claws 2
Fur 3

Stats:
XP: -1
HP: 1
MP: 1
Str: 11
Int: 7
Dex: 6

Species Proposal: Simisapien

A rare species of intelligent monkeys. They have the ability to change size at will. They are normally human-sized, but for a cost of food and mp, they can grow larger or smaller, gaining the benefits of their changed size. In addition, large simisapiens gain a -2, +2 slaying bonus, +2 str and -2 dex, and a stealth malus. Small simisapiens gain a +2, -2 slaying bonus, -2 str and +2 dex, and a stealth bonus. Changing size has an exhaust timer associated with it that disappears only when you gain enough experience. Simisapiens are good with simple weapons like staves, unarmed combat and throwing, but are bad with complex weapons like swords and polearms. They have good aptitudes in "Trickster" schools of magic, like air, hexes and translocations, but have poor spellcasting and other magic aptitudes.

Innate Mutations:
Deformed body 1
Fur 1
Size changing

Stats:
XP: 0
HP: 1
MP: 0
Str: 7
Int: 8
Dex: 10

Spell Proposal: Fire Form

Level 5 transmutations/fire. I designed this when I noticed that fire had very poor synergy with transmutations. Turns you into a slow-moving cloud of fire. Grants rF+++ and rC-. You gain a heat aura that extends in a two-tile radius around you, dealing moderate fire damage to enemies one tile away and low damage to enemies two tiles away. Your unarmed attacks deal additional fire damage in this form. You cover ground slowly and don't get significant defensive bonuses, so using this form requires significant forethought.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th May 2014, 03:36

Incomplete God Proposal: Wakhan, God of Self-Enlightenment

This god has a strict conduct, but grants amazing powers in return. This follows Unghotha in my attempt to make a more intrusive god.

Wakhan is an introspective deity who seeks enlightenment, and expects followers to do the same. He appreciates those who rely on their own attributes, and looks down on those who rely on enhancing items. He allows the use of weapons and armour, but not performance-enhancing liquids and jewelry.

Appreciates: Exploring, especially while not wearing jewelry. He also takes 10% of experience earned and converts it into piety.

Deprecates: Wearing jewelry, using enhancers like charms and potions.

. . . . . . - Wakhan grants one random pip of resistance out of rC, rF, rN and rElec.

* . . . . . - Wakhan give you a choice of power or accuracy. Gain activated ability: Focus power. If you chose power, you gain an invo/4 bonus to damage and a comparable spell power boost. If you chose accuracy, you gain an invo/2 bonus to accuracy and a comparable bonus to wizardry.

* * . . . . - No abilities gained.

* * * . . . - Wakhan gives you a choice of swiftness or steadiness. Gain activated ability: Unseen path. If you chose swiftness, unseen path is an instant ability that blinks you up to two tiles away. If you chose steadiness, unseen path is an ability that slows your movement but grants bonus hp and ac.

Other abilities to be filled in later. I'm tired and working on other things right now.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 23:50

A few spells I thought up:

Sandstorm: earth/air 6. Creates clouds of sand that swirl around your location. Enemies standing in the clouds take damage (more for flying enemies) and have a penalty to accuracy. Sand clouds can obscure vision like steam.

Antipode: fire/ice 6. Creates a chaotic field around you where fire and ice clouds randomly form, and gives you rF+ and rC+ for the duration. Increased spell power increases the frequency of clouds appearing.

Dispersing Shot: conjurations/translocations 5. Fires a powered-up magic dart that attempts to blink the target. Resistible by MR.

Rift: conjurations/translocations 4. Creates a rift in space that rapidly collapses on itself and explodes, dealing damage to enemies in a one-tile radius and possibly causing confusion. Smite targeted.

Bolt of Malice: conjurations/hexes 6. Works like bolt of foo, but has a chance to confuse, paralyze or slow enemies. Resistible by MR.

Icy Field: earth/ice 3. Turns an area of floor tiles into slippery ice. Ground-based enemies gain an evasion and accuracy penalty, and take 1.5x longer to move. Can't target space already occupied by a monster.

Inferno: fire/air 8. Raises surrounding air temperature to blistering levels. All creatures in the area of effect take fire damage every turn, and living creatures have a chance of being slowed due to heat exhaustion.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 01:56

File200 wrote:Triple post because nobody cares about my thread :( . Two species proposals and a spell:

Based on the proposal here: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... moon_troll

And it's possible no one will. I think you have a better bet of learning wiki editing and inserting your ideas there amongst all the others. It's my understanding that developers are more likely to look at teh wiki than review Tavern due to the signal-to-noise ratio.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 04:57

XuaXua wrote:
File200 wrote:Triple post because nobody cares about my thread :( . Two species proposals and a spell:

And it's possible no one will. I think you have a better bet of learning wiki editing and inserting your ideas there amongst all the others. It's my understanding that developers are more likely to look at teh wiki than review Tavern due to the signal-to-noise ratio.

I don't think the devs are the target audience here. We are. At least that's how I see this kind of post in CYC. After all the threads here are all crazy right?

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks: 2
and into, duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 05:03

Hopeless wrote:After all the threads here are all crazy right?
So are the devs.
File200 wrote:Dispersing Shot: conjurations/translocations 5. Fires a powered-up magic dart that attempts to blink the target. Resistible by MR.
This reminds me of Force Lance (and would probably be better than Force Lance).

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 14:57

sgrunt wrote:
File200 wrote:Dispersing Shot: conjurations/translocations 5. Fires a powered-up magic dart that attempts to blink the target. Resistible by MR.
This reminds me of Force Lance (and would probably be better than Force Lance).

I was thinking the same thing except "worse than". Generally speaking, you're casting those spells because you want the target to be further from you -- shoving is more likely to make that happen than a random blink, right?
Last edited by Lasty on Monday, 19th May 2014, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 15:18

If random blink is full LOS range, then chances are it's better. Force Lance knocks back either 1 or 2 spaces only.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 17:17

DracheReborn wrote:If random blink is full LOS range, then chances are it's better. Force Lance knocks back either 1 or 2 spaces only.

But that just implies that Force Lance should knock monsters back more spaces, not that blinking is inherently better than pushing.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 18:08

Lasty wrote:
DracheReborn wrote:If random blink is full LOS range, then chances are it's better. Force Lance knocks back either 1 or 2 spaces only.

But that just implies that Force Lance should knock monsters back more spaces, not that blinking is inherently better than pushing.

Propose it then? :)

The code for Force Lance is kind of clunky right now. It applies Trample's knockback effect either once or twice on a coinflip(). That's how you get "knocks back 1 or 2 spaces only" :lol:

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 19:38

Lasty wrote:
sgrunt wrote:This reminds me of Force Lance (and would probably be better than Force Lance).

I was thinking the same thing except "worse than". Generally speaking, you're casting those spells because you want the target to be further from you -- shoving is more likely to make that happen than a random blink, right?
In my mind it would use the dispersal ammo logic, which weights squares further away from you higher.

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
Lasty

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 03:55

Species Proposal: Awesome-saurus

Awesome-sauruses are genetically engineered utahraptors, brought back to life by mad science and then redesigned to be as mind-bendingly awesome as possible.

Species traits:

-Their awesomeness is so great that at semi-randomized intervals, they can't contain it, and the awesomeness explodes outward loudly.

-They cannot wear any armour other than hats and cloaks. However, their natural affinity to bling allows them to wear 2 amulets and 4 rings.

-They start with acute eyesight, claws 2, talons 3 and fangs 3.

-Due to their awesome learning abilities, awesome-sauruses have +1 in every aptitude. However, they have trouble becoming more awesome than they already are, so they have a -2 experience aptitude.

-At level 7, they gain innate jump attack. At level 14, they gain laser vision, which acts like a bolt spell that has a chance of blinding enemies. At level 21, they can create explosions of awesomeness at any location in their LoS. All abilities are tied to an exhaust timer.

-Awesome-sauruses have 10 in each base stat and gain a stat point every 3 levels. They have 10% more hp than humans.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 18:57

Do the devs actually read the wiki? I look there from time to time and all the comments seem to be 2-4 years old.

Three quick spells:

Mass Haste: Charms 9. Hastes you and all allies.

Blast Wave: Conjurations 9. Deals damage and acts as a force lance on all enemies in LoS.

Destruction Curse: Hexes 9. Places a timer on the target. When the timer runs out, the target is destroyed and no experience is gained. The timer only counts down while you remain within 5 tiles of your target, and the duration depends on spell power and the target's MR check.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 19:01

File200 wrote:Do the devs actually read the wiki? I look there from time to time and all the comments seem to be 2-4 years old.
I suspect more developers read the wiki than Tavern. But reading the wiki doesn't mean they have to like your ideas.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 19:06

duvessa wrote:I suspect more developers read the wiki than Tavern. But reading the wiki doesn't mean they have to like your ideas.

Hey, don't be overly snarky. Plutonians seem to be getting some serious consideration.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 20:13

Igxfl wrote:
duvessa wrote:I suspect more developers read the wiki than Tavern. But reading the wiki doesn't mean they have to like your ideas.

Hey, don't be overly snarky. Plutonians seem to be getting some serious consideration.

It helps when you can code it yourself.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 05:53

If nobody likes my ideas, it's no skin off my back. That's why I use this thread to see if an idea deserves its own thread/wiki page, and from there I see if an idea is worth coding. It would be nice, though, if you provided a reason for why you (apparently) don't like my ideas, so I can refine them into something that might be worthwhile.

As for coding, more people should try to implement the ideas they post. It's really not hard to add a new species with whatever mutations and weirdness you like. It took me about 4 hours total of work to get plutonians into a playable state (not counting the time I spent wrestling with git to create the patch), and most of that was just looking through the code to find what I needed. New gods and spells...are not so simple, but I'm getting help from my dad and from a friend, and of course from the crawl-dev irc. Incidentally, I roll my eyes every time I see a bcadren thread because 1. he should really have his own consolidated ideas thread and 2. he apparently has the coding background to implement his ideas with little problem, so if he just put in a little effort he could test his ideas and see if they actually work.

These are some ideas for potions that could replace existing negative effect potions, the way lignification replaced paralysis:

Potion of Drunkenness: replaces potion of confusion. Causes confusion status but raises your evasion and reduces incoming damage somewhat.

Potion of Negative Energy: replaces potion of degeneration. Transforms you into a partially undead state. Grants half torment resistance and rN+++, but afflicts you with drain and ability drain, and makes you vulnerable to holy weapons.

Potion of Stimulation: replaces potion of poison. Grants clarity and +3 to all stats, but drains your during the duration.

Potion of Greater Stimulation: replaces potion of strong poison. Grants clarity, see invisible, sustab and +6 to each stat, but drains your health quickly during the duration.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 06:00

I wasn't trying to attack you, nor comment on your ideas themselves. "Do the devs actually read the wiki" initially sounded (to me) like you were complaining that they weren't paying enough attention to you, but I guess that interpretation was too uncharitable.

In my defense, there was another person who actually was making that complaint recently.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 06:13

File200 wrote:Potion of Stimulation: replaces potion of poison. Grants clarity and +3 to all stats, but drains your during the duration.

drains your what? health?
edit: also, there are too many stuff in this thread. it is confusing, and hard to discuss wich ideas migh work. the intention is pretty good, by not flooding the tavern with your name everywhere, until even the most patient users start disliking you (yeah, him.).
but, on the other hand, reading this whole thread and searching for good ideas is bothersome, I dont think most people will trouble themselves to do it.
the wiki is probably the best option.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 06:34

Hirsch I wrote:
File200 wrote:Potion of Stimulation: replaces potion of poison. Grants clarity and +3 to all stats, but drains your during the duration.

drains your what? health?
edit: also, there are too many stuff in this thread. it is confusing, and hard to discuss wich ideas migh work. the intention is pretty good, by not flooding the tavern with your name everywhere, until even the most patient users start disliking you (yeah, him.).
but, on the other hand, reading this whole thread and searching for good ideas is bothersome, I dont think most people will trouble themselves to do it.
the wiki is probably the best option.

I suspect the way to get around this issue is to put all the ideas people seem to respond to in the OP with some formatting to separate them and or with links to parts of the thread they originated in.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 11:33

I believe it would hit character limit fast, but I could be wrong.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 11:36

Hirsch I wrote:I believe it would hit character limit fast, but I could be wrong.

Maybe reserve a few posts after the OP just for the purpose of updating so that if the character limit hit you could continue. Though perhaps that is a way to make people more terse with their fancy ideas. :p

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 13:23

Since you're asking for feedback, I can't really see myself drinking any of the potions you describe -- maybe the rTorment one under very rare circumstances. The reason lignification works is that there are times when it's incredibly strong, particularly early in the game. I normally wouldn't comment on a proposal like that one, because my comment isn't really contributing much: I don't see any aspect of it that I think is worth revising into something solid, so I figure I'll leave it for someone who does.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 05:18

Lasty wrote:Since you're asking for feedback, I can't really see myself drinking any of the potions you describe -- maybe the rTorment one under very rare circumstances. The reason lignification works is that there are times when it's incredibly strong, particularly early in the game. I normally wouldn't comment on a proposal like that one, because my comment isn't really contributing much: I don't see any aspect of it that I think is worth revising into something solid, so I figure I'll leave it for someone who does.

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose I should take silence as something between apathy and disapproval of my ideas.

I think I'll just let this thread sit until the verdict comes in on plutonians.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 08:14

File200 wrote:
Lasty wrote:Since you're asking for feedback, I can't really see myself drinking any of the potions you describe -- maybe the rTorment one under very rare circumstances. The reason lignification works is that there are times when it's incredibly strong, particularly early in the game. I normally wouldn't comment on a proposal like that one, because my comment isn't really contributing much: I don't see any aspect of it that I think is worth revising into something solid, so I figure I'll leave it for someone who does.

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose I should take silence as something between apathy and disapproval of my ideas.

I think I'll just let this thread sit until the verdict comes in on plutonians.

I wouldn't count it as disapproval as the community here is pretty vocal when it comes to that. Apathy on the other hand may be nearer the mark. Lots of ideas come bouncing into games like these and they tend to pull all kinds of different directions. Very few (even by really good thinkers) get through to consideration. It is not a coincidence that GDD is a serious ideas only sub and that the wiki is the preferred ideas mine. You got serious consideration on an idea through, I'd take that as a laurel.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 14:50

Apathy is no doubt causing some not to comment, but to be clear, that's not what I was saying. What I was saying was that I didn't have much in the way of constructive feedback, so I was inclined not to give feedback at all, hoping that someone else would be able to answer more constructively. Also, even if one (or several) ideas go nowhere, that's fine: in the ideas racket there are way more misses than hits, but only the hits count; the interest you've received in your plutonians species puts you way ahead of the game considering how many posts you've made thus far, and even if they don't work out, they'll be a good learning experience in terms of what to consider in your proposals and designs.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th May 2014, 15:20

Hopeless wrote: You got serious consideration on an idea through, I'd take that as a laurel.

Damn straight. All my tile contributions got whacked (I'm OK with that), so all I have left to cling to are the Dev wiki re-organization (that some liked and others were recently vocally against), and several bug catches in Mantis.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 05:56

XuaXua wrote:
Hopeless wrote: You got serious consideration on an idea through, I'd take that as a laurel.

Damn straight. All my tile contributions got whacked (I'm OK with that), so all I have left to cling to are the Dev wiki re-organization (that some liked and others were recently vocally against), and several bug catches in Mantis.

I've cut back a lot on giving ideas/ (nongaming) time/art to games. Not because I don't think they deserve them (though some may wonder what they did to deserve them :p) but because I think there are people with a better understanding of the needs of each game and I don't want to end up in a situation like Portralis again, where after several years of passionate debate/argument/brainstorming/creative input into the game, it ended up in rebuild mode with the programmer (Variaz) pretty burnt out. There were some great threads and great ideas and when it was in full bloom the game had lots of potential and was actually pretty great already without any re-balancing needed (imho). But at the end it all sort of amounted to nothing. I am happy to comment occasionally on someone's contribution if I can do it constructively and without rancor but I don't find it as thrilling now.

Otoh I always feel sad when I see people give up on doing that because it seems like the more people who experience collaborative efforts, the closer we come as a species to something special. (I know its merely a game but games are instructive of the larger paradigms we live in.)

Also art contribution is difficult. You need not only a really good feel for the direction the game is going in but you need to be polished enough skill-wise (I'm not) and willing enough to bend your style to what is needed. However, if you persist you may find you get closer with each attempt. (Practice (especially with anything involving visual art) makes perfect.)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner