feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes


If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 143

Joined: Friday, 15th March 2013, 23:33

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 04:12

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

I have mixed feelings about this whole debate. On one hand, I've been playing roguelikes since I was a little kid and I remember when I first saw Spelunky, and Spelunky is exactly what I would imagine if you told me about a "roguelike-inspired platformer." I think there's something wrong with your brain if you can't see that. Really good game, too. On the other hand the buzz and saturation of the roguelike-like trend is well past the point of ruining it.

A real roguelike definitely has to be turn-based.

P.S. roguelikes are puzzle games
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 04:21

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

ITT people get really mad about marketing, but no one focuses on the true enemy, Capitalism.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 5
archaeo, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Lasty, Utis
User avatar

Shoals Surfer

Posts: 319

Joined: Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 06:09

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 05:32

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Arrhythmia wrote:ITT people get really mad about marketing, but no one focuses on the true enemy, Capitalism.

#MarchOnGozag

For this message the author Viashino_wizard has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6317

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 15:34

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Hm, Turn-based, grid-based, procedurally generated, Got it! Civilization is a Roguelike!

Wait.....
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Laraso

Tomb Titivator

Posts: 799

Joined: Saturday, 23rd February 2013, 22:25

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 20:07

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Here's the problem no-one here seems to realize: the meaning of words change.
For example, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is awful, in that it inspires awe, and Nethack is terrific, in that the amount of bad design decisions it contains terrifies me.

For this message the author khalil has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, mattlistener

zrn

User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 112

Joined: Friday, 25th February 2011, 01:38

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 21:51

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

khalil wrote:Here's the problem no-one here seems to realize: the meaning of words change.

Words only "change" because the general public is fucking retarded and they continue misusing words until the true meaning fades away. That doesn't mean the new definition is right. I can't wait until roguelike means just means 'indie game.' Oh wait that's already happening.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 21:56

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

zrn wrote:Words only "change" because the general public is fucking retarded and they continue misusing words until the true meaning fades away. That doesn't mean the new definition is right. I can't wait until roguelike means just means 'indie game.' Oh wait that's already happening.


Yeah, how dare the fucking retarded public let their language change! That's why I only write my posts in Ænglisc.

e: oh wait, not Ænglisc, I meant Latin.

e2: hmm, not Latin either...
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Jano

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 2995

Joined: Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 20:41

Location: Berlin

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 22:32

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

zrn wrote:
khalil wrote:Here's the problem no-one here seems to realize: the meaning of words change.

Words only "change" because the general public is fucking retarded and they continue misusing words until the true meaning fades away. That doesn't mean the new definition is right. I can't wait until roguelike means just means 'indie game.' Oh wait that's already happening.


So that would make the new definition of 'retarded' also wrong?

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 9
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos, Cimanyd, dracos369, duvessa, Jano, Lasty, Patashu
User avatar

Dis Charger

Posts: 2056

Joined: Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 08:25

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 23:14

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

zrn wrote:Words only "change" because the general public is fucking retarded and they continue misusing words until the true meaning fades away. That doesn't mean the new definition is right. I can't wait until roguelike means just means 'indie game.' Oh wait that's already happening.
þá wordcwideas áncyne áwendedon...

[I started translating that to 14th century English; but I got tired of it at 'change'...takes too long.] Point is; though, you are wrong there. Meanings change; new words are created, this is normal and over hundreds of years it leads to new languages.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd
User avatar

Blades Runner

Posts: 538

Joined: Saturday, 15th February 2014, 03:22

Location: NYC

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 23:18

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

bcadren wrote:
zrn wrote:Words only "change" because the general public is fucking retarded and they continue misusing words until the true meaning fades away. That doesn't mean the new definition is right. I can't wait until roguelike means just means 'indie game.' Oh wait that's already happening.
þá wordcwideas áncyne áwendedon...

[I started translating that to 14th century English; but I got tired of it at 'change'...takes too long.] Point is; though, you are wrong there. Meanings change; new words are created, this is normal and over hundreds of years it leads to new languages.

Indeed. As concepts change so do the words that express them. And as Culture changes so do the concepts that create that culture. And so on. Very nice work on the Old Middle(?) English. (Or is that Middle Old English?)

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 508

Joined: Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 00:36

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 00:35

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:If some guy breaks into my house and shoots me, he didn't donate lead to me in a non-traditional manner. He fucking murdered me. Proper language is important, the most important thing in human civilization. I can quote Orwell here if you like.
I don't understand what the point of this analogy is. Also I dare you to quote Orwell and act like it applies to this issue. Go ahead.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:So if I set Smash Bros. to random stage, items on, one stock, it has "heavy rogue-like elements"??? Random loot, random maps, and permadeath, it fits all the criteria!!
Pre-designed maps selected at random is not the same thing as randomly generated maps

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:"Rogue-like elements" is actually code for "I'm too lazy/incompetent to design good levels, so I used procedural level generation because even a flowchart is better than I am at making games". The former is of course better marketing. As a fan of Toejam & Earl, I naturally find this all incredibly hilarious, because it is much more similar to Rogue than any of these bullshit modern games like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky, and ToeJam & Earl has an option to TURN OFF all the randomness!
If you hate procedurally generated games then why do you play Dungeon Crawl? I don't understand what point you're making here.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:"RPG" is even worse. It's original meaning is entirely lost. Nowadays it literally just means "this game contains upgrades of some kind". An excerpt from Harvard's prestigious game design course:
RPG stands for Rocket Propelled Grenade. It is a colloquial term which originated in the FPS genre, appearing in a wide variety of games, such as Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. It's use in describing a game is to refer to the power of the player character's offensive abilities, i.e. "This ability is as powerful as a Rocket Propelled Grenade." Because explosions are entertaining, it is considered advantageous for a game to contain as many "RPG Elements" as possible.
Except nobody ever refers to Call of Duty as an RPG, do they? People saying that it has "RPG elements" has in fact not shifted the definition of the word at all, really. Although the point that the quote is making (which is that "RPG" never really meant and still doesn't mean very much) is perhaps valid.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:Binding of Isaac is an action shooter with randomized levels, but that just doesn't sound pretentious enough.
Procedurally generated levels, randomized loot and permadeath. Three things closely associated with roguelikes, and therefore three things you can communicate more quickly by comparing it to one. It's clear that it's not turn-based from the "action shooter" part of the description.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:Actual roguelikes are typically of high quality. "Metroidvanias" enjoy a similar prestige-by-association (and have the same problem of games that are obviously not Metroidvanias claiming to be). It's not surprising for people to try to hamfistedly shove their game into a particular genre when that genre is associated with excellence in the public perception.
There are plenty of shitty actual roguelikes out there, unless you're going for some kind of "no true scotsman" approach. I don't think anyone assumes that a game will be good just because it's comparing itself to a roguelike, they just assume that it will have the elements of a roguelike that they enjoy.

zrn wrote:Words only "change" because the general public is fucking retarded and they continue misusing words until the true meaning fades away. That doesn't mean the new definition is right. I can't wait until roguelike means just means 'indie game.' Oh wait that's already happening.
I love the scare quotes around "change".

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks: 2
all before, Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Posts: 3160

Joined: Sunday, 5th August 2012, 14:52

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 15:19

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

I think we can all agree that proper English includes exclusively all the words, definitions, and pronunciations that I grew up with, and that deviation from such reflects very poorly on those who deviate.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 6
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, dracos369, khalil, PleasingFungus

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 23

Joined: Thursday, 27th August 2015, 22:28

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 01:04

changes of language and conception

Change is not so important, whether pronunciation, spelling, or meaning; it is the loss and confusion of meanings which makes for less scientific or metaphysical awareness.

E.g. ‘evolution’: The word means, at one time in all parlance and now as yet in chemistry, ‘an emergence out from’. It was used to describe the emergence of a species class from a genus one, first used in that application by T. Huxley if I remember correctly. It is not a synonym for ‘improvement’, not even as adjunct to the case whereby natural selection operates crudely on the aforementioned species and on the distribution of traits in a population. Nowadays, people are likely to use the word when describing ‘an event of change’, with strong connotations for ‘an improvement’, in all applications, including the biomorphic one, as if the magical élan vital were driving some program called Evolution. Or, that's how I see it, anyways: Sloppy use of the word hinders people's understanding of the world around them.

People are failing language, not vice versa. What happens with “rogue-like”, if it happens at all, is an ignorance or lack of education on what qualities defined the original Rogue and a wide difference in how many of those qualities are identified by use of the word; the problem is that there never was — to my knowledge — a formal or conventional definition, despite the many arguments or blather preceeding this post.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 01:09

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

i, too, like to dig up two year old threads to beat the deadest horse called prescriptivism
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 8
archaeo, cerebovssquire, Cimanyd, Implojin, PleasingFungus, scorpionwarrior, Shard1697, ZipZipskins
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1649

Joined: Saturday, 18th June 2016, 13:57

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 01:21

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

I don't know, I find it pretty enlightening. Think of all the time Cosseriu and such people wasted writing whole books about language change, when the answer was "stupidity". I wonder how they missed that one.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Can-ned Food

Dungeon Master

Posts: 3160

Joined: Sunday, 5th August 2012, 14:52

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 15:57

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

It's always the last place you look.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
archaeo

Tomb Titivator

Posts: 881

Joined: Sunday, 30th December 2012, 05:26

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 17:26

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

language, like all social constructs, is best ruled with an iron fist, and lo, I shall be its lord, for it is I who have the TRUE GODDAMN KNOWLEDGE of what is correct and what is not, given to me by the divinest providence, and ye plebeian fools who toil away with your worn and weathered hands from days upon days of hard labour have not the slightest inkling of mindspace to devote to such a lofty intellectual pursuit, which does not even begin to mention the lowliness of your collective births

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6317

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 19:07

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

It is reasonable for language to change, and it is reasonable to resist change you don't like.

Educating people about the current or prior meanings of a word is one such type of resistance.

With *no* such resistance, languages would rapidly degenerate into unitelligable dialects and we would be unable to communicate at all pretty quickly.

On the other hand languages must grow, change, and adapt, and outdated linguistic paradigms must be allowed to change or die.

Given that 'Rogue' came out (and even fell out of fashion) before most of the current video game playing population were born, it isn't surprising that the term experinces some drift.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1756

Joined: Monday, 14th October 2013, 01:05

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2016, 20:54

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Siegurt wrote:With *no* such resistance, languages would rapidly degenerate into unitelligable dialects and we would be unable to communicate at all pretty quickly.
do you have any evidence whatsoever to support this assertion

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6317

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2016, 00:24

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Shard1697 wrote:
Siegurt wrote:With *no* such resistance, languages would rapidly degenerate into unitelligable dialects and we would be unable to communicate at all pretty quickly.
do you have any evidence whatsoever to support this assertion


It is self evident that if each person can make up new meanings for words (and new words) in a completely unrestricted manner, if no information about what the new or old interpretations might be is passed between individuals or groups, eventually two individuals (or groups) are functionally going to be speaking two completely different languages, and be unable to communicate at all in their 'current' dialect.

Presuming one belongs to the generation that learns this "new" dialect, and doesn't learn the old one (my stipulation is that no learning about the old words takes place, because there is no linguistic inertia) the only way two individuals could possibly have new words in common is pure chance. Ultimately enough words will be "new" that you won't be able to communicate effectively, at that point we call those things that people are speaking different languages.

In fact that is how our existing languages came to be, two groups evolved language separately with no 'canonical' meaning being shared between them. You could say i have all of the history of the creation of languages as my evidence.

It is even evident when you look at what is ostensibly your own language of you go back far enough.

The fact that we have a common language and can use it to communicate at all is entirely due to us learning a common idea of "what words mean".

My assertion here is both true and mostly a tautology "words only mean something if we agree that they do, and agreement can only come about if you communicate about it" isn't really an argument, so much as an observation.

Also i partially mis-spoke, you can communicate without language of course, i specifically meant "if two dialects evolve distinctly enough you can't use the language to communicate" I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't communicate at all, that would be weird.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Can-ned Food
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1756

Joined: Monday, 14th October 2013, 01:05

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2016, 00:55

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

But people learn in this fashion by normal communication, no one needs to provide the "resistance" of being that guy who tells someone else that they're using words wrong.
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1649

Joined: Saturday, 18th June 2016, 13:57

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2016, 01:11

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Enter the role of women as language tachers for their children.

Also have you really never been corrected for mispronouncing or giving the wrong meaning to a word?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1111

Joined: Monday, 18th March 2013, 23:23

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2016, 02:24

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes


For this message the author prozacelf has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, n1000, nago, PleasingFungus, scorpionwarrior

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1217

Joined: Sunday, 14th April 2013, 04:01

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 21:13

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

It's interesting, I love the terms roguelike-like or roguelite because as buzzwords, they generally mean "I will like this game."

I despise the overuse of the term roguelike because I like words to have some semblance of meaning.

Aside- has anyone here played Conquest of Elysium? Because I swear to god it feels like someone made a roguelike/roguelite 4x game and it is freaking beautiful
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Dungeon Master

Posts: 1050

Joined: Thursday, 12th June 2014, 05:19

Post Friday, 30th December 2016, 00:04

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

i've seen a lot of people describe CoE as roguelike or roguelike-like, but i don't think i really see it. it's just another fantasy 4x, like warlock: master of the arcane, etc, etc.

it's a fun little game, but very random.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4407

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Friday, 30th December 2016, 05:54

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Siegurt wrote:It is self evident that if each person can make up new meanings for words (and new words) in a completely unrestricted manner, if no information about what the new or old interpretations might be is passed between individuals or groups, eventually two individuals (or groups) are functionally going to be speaking two completely different languages, and be unable to communicate at all in their 'current' dialect.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Posts: 91

Joined: Saturday, 6th August 2016, 18:03

Post Saturday, 31st December 2016, 01:18

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Whatever.
nerd mode
Noone noticed there was a big mistake by stepping from 1991 games (lemmings) to Doom? Any fps is doomlike? what about Rise of the Triad? Syndicate? Wolfenstein?
/nerd mode off

The magics behind old videogames is that you really could have played *most* titles in your gaming age and notice evolutions behind styles and any small or mayor improvement.
I'm not sure this is doable right now, too many markets, titles etc. I'm just sure whatever i've seen on gf's ipad is just a dumb copy of old well defined games, with some lil fuzzy fancy gfx.
Unlike language evolutions and branches. I just remember sometimes some slangs (in my language) i was used to in my childhood that are mostly lost, my memory is finite and can't really get the infinite loop behind the creation/starvation. There must be a moment when a specific combination of sounds ain't spelled anymore, a tomb in time.
Consider also geographical obvious limitations, what does an australian know about new london's teen language trends?
The sweet mistery about the old fashion retrogaming is lead by the small amount of information of the topic. Tracking down the list of mayor games and changes since 198* to 200* is pretty doable by one person, many was there spending their free time even if memories got the bad habit to mix them up.
There was a time in '70 when creating personal radios was an hobbistic effort, the same happened to the geeks by inventing new entertainments in videogames, chats and so on.
Running a BBS must have been awesome, sadly i missed that.
All your base are belong to us. Click if u get it.

BTW, why is DCSS still running on squared grid? Diagonals aren't unfair?

I'm glad someone told me about this game, i started it way too late ;)
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Saturday, 31st December 2016, 04:14

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

neverEnough wrote:BTW, why is DCSS still running on squared grid? Diagonals aren't unfair?


octagons don't tile the plain
take it easy

Tomb Titivator

Posts: 881

Joined: Sunday, 30th December 2012, 05:26

Post Saturday, 31st December 2016, 05:12

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Arrhythmia wrote:
neverEnough wrote:BTW, why is DCSS still running on squared grid? Diagonals aren't unfair?


octagons don't tile the plain

https://youtu.be/IGuxXBaC33U
User avatar

Shoals Surfer

Posts: 318

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 10:16

Post Saturday, 31st December 2016, 10:19

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Siegurt wrote:
Shard1697 wrote:
Siegurt wrote:With *no* such resistance, languages would rapidly degenerate into unitelligable dialects and we would be unable to communicate at all pretty quickly.
do you have any evidence whatsoever to support this assertion


It is self evident that if each person can make up new meanings for words (and new words) in a completely unrestricted manner, if no information about what the new or old interpretations might be is passed between individuals or groups, eventually two individuals (or groups) are functionally going to be speaking two completely different languages, and be unable to communicate at all in their 'current' dialect.

Presuming one belongs to the generation that learns this "new" dialect, and doesn't learn the old one (my stipulation is that no learning about the old words takes place, because there is no linguistic inertia) the only way two individuals could possibly have new words in common is pure chance. Ultimately enough words will be "new" that you won't be able to communicate effectively, at that point we call those things that people are speaking different languages.

In fact that is how our existing languages came to be, two groups evolved language separately with no 'canonical' meaning being shared between them. You could say i have all of the history of the creation of languages as my evidence.

It is even evident when you look at what is ostensibly your own language of you go back far enough.

The fact that we have a common language and can use it to communicate at all is entirely due to us learning a common idea of "what words mean".

My assertion here is both true and mostly a tautology "words only mean something if we agree that they do, and agreement can only come about if you communicate about it" isn't really an argument, so much as an observation.

Also i partially mis-spoke, you can communicate without language of course, i specifically meant "if two dialects evolve distinctly enough you can't use the language to communicate" I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't communicate at all, that would be weird.


Keep on railing against things that you are powerless to change and have been going on since before humanity achieved sentience, I guess.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Snake Sneak

Posts: 91

Joined: Saturday, 6th August 2016, 18:03

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 02:37

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Arrhythmia wrote:
neverEnough wrote:BTW, why is DCSS still running on squared grid? Diagonals aren't unfair?


octagons don't tile the plain


Aight, but hexagons rock.
https://www.google.it/search?q=wesnoth+map+grid

And u may consider even an untiled plain, where any move would take exactly 1 time but different spatial traslation related to the char speed. But i agree that would be way too far from the current mechanic.

Hexagons also rhyme with magic hexes !!

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1694

Joined: Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 20:34

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 03:10

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Lasty wrote:I think we can all agree that proper English includes exclusively all the words, definitions, and pronunciations that I grew up with, and that deviation from such reflects very poorly on those who deviate.


Why is anyone posting in this thread after Lasty obviously already won it 2 years ago?

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Cimanyd
User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 92

Joined: Thursday, 28th July 2016, 04:11

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 05:06

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

dowan wrote:Why is anyone posting in this thread after Lasty obviously already won it 2 years ago?

I wasn't there 2 years ago to thank it, so this necromancy is for the best.
remove Siegurt's signature

For this message the author Cimanyd has received thanks: 2
dracos369, PleasingFungus

Slime Squisher

Posts: 330

Joined: Thursday, 10th May 2012, 03:29

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 20:53

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Arrhythmia wrote:
neverEnough wrote:BTW, why is DCSS still running on squared grid? Diagonals aren't unfair?


octagons don't tile the plain



play hyperrogue
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1649

Joined: Saturday, 18th June 2016, 13:57

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 21:30

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

BTW, are there some non Euclidean roguelikes?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Slime Squisher

Posts: 330

Joined: Thursday, 10th May 2012, 03:29

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 21:31

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Shtopit wrote:BTW, are there some non Euclidean roguelikes?


play hyperrogue

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
Shtopit

Snake Sneak

Posts: 91

Joined: Saturday, 6th August 2016, 18:03

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 16:24

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Shtopit wrote:BTW, are there some non Euclidean roguelikes?


Descent
http://images.eurogamer.net/2014/usgamer/descent-spot2.jpg

For this message the author neverEnough has received thanks:
Shtopit

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8771

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 18:15

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

I think that assessment is misleading: across all 3 Descent games, the only non-Euclidean geometry in the standard levels that I can recall is that secret cube in level 16 of Descent 2 that very slightly overlaps a tunnel.
Image

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
neverEnough, RBrandon, Shtopit

Blades Runner

Posts: 548

Joined: Monday, 23rd March 2015, 05:29

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 18:37

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

this thread.....

Snake Sneak

Posts: 91

Joined: Saturday, 6th August 2016, 18:03

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 21:32

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

duvessa wrote:I think that assessment is misleading: across all 3 Descent games, the only non-Euclidean geometry in the standard levels that I can recall is that secret cube in level 16 of Descent 2 that very slightly overlaps a tunnel.

Duvessa you are awesome :lol:

Correct, my first answer was too impulsive, it was just an amazing gameplay but coords was pretty euclidean.
I guess the same do apply to Portal, so no, afaik there aren't non-euclidean rogues around :roll: Unless you consider some temporary gravitational effects somewhere, maybe in Homeworld (not sure it did happen tho).

Slime Squisher

Posts: 330

Joined: Thursday, 10th May 2012, 03:29

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 21:33

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

I've been telling people to play Hyperrogue because it is a non-euclidian roguelike

Snake Sneak

Posts: 91

Joined: Saturday, 6th August 2016, 18:03

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 21:59

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

n1000 wrote:I've been telling people to play Hyperrogue because it is a non-euclidian roguelike


whoops i thought it was a joke from the cube -> hypercube movies.
Just watched on youtube, meh bad game, the sphere is just a visual trick not really anything about game mechanics (aside from the unrequired barriers at all) or exciting conceptual news. I remember a 1v1 tank game on the glorious i386 (when 2 players had to share the same keyboard) which was exactly the same with 2d tiles. It was good because you couldn't run THAT far from the other enemy but you could keep running forever until the other had the good shot.
Thanks for the reference tho ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8771

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Monday, 16th January 2017, 23:36

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

neverEnough wrote:
duvessa wrote:I think that assessment is misleading: across all 3 Descent games, the only non-Euclidean geometry in the standard levels that I can recall is that secret cube in level 16 of Descent 2 that very slightly overlaps a tunnel.

Duvessa you are awesome :lol:

Correct, my first answer was too impulsive, it was just an amazing gameplay but coords was pretty euclidean.
To be clear, Descent 1 and 2 do support non-Euclidean level geometry, specifically overlapping rooms; I'm sure there are gobs of custom levels that have it. You might be able to coax the game into having a self-intersecting room without crashing as well.

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1667

Joined: Saturday, 11th October 2014, 06:12

Location: Brazil. RS, Santa Cruz do Sul.

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2017, 14:32

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Wow, that automap font brought back memories i refuse to accept are mine.
You shall never see my color again.
User avatar

Shoals Surfer

Posts: 287

Joined: Friday, 19th August 2016, 21:21

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2017, 15:15

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

dynast wrote:Wow, that automap font brought back memories i refuse to accept are mine.


You're not alone there, buddy
make food great again
User avatar

Barkeep

Posts: 1785

Joined: Saturday, 29th June 2013, 16:52

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2017, 20:15

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

tbh, this thread makes me feel a lot better about the 2017 version of the Tavern

That said, I miss you, vengefulcarrot.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2017, 22:23

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

archaeo wrote:tbh, this thread makes me feel a lot better about the 2017 version of the Tavern

That said, I miss you, vengefulcarrot.


sic transit gloria mundi
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Posts: 330

Joined: Thursday, 10th May 2012, 03:29

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 02:35

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Arrhythmia wrote:
archaeo wrote:tbh, this thread makes me feel a lot better about the 2017 version of the Tavern

That said, I miss you, vengefulcarrot.


sic transit gloria mundi


the best tourney team name ever

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
bel

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 23

Joined: Thursday, 27th August 2015, 22:28

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 19:40

Hyperrogue

Well, the hyperbolic geometry in Hyperrogue is genuine, not a visual gimmick, in that it changes the layout of the floor and in the various paths you can take between two points on the hyperbolic surface.

P.S. thanks to the various other people in this thread who showed me that this place wasn't entirely populated by the cacophonous.

Spider Stomper

Posts: 206

Joined: Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 15:07

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 22:11

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

scorpionwarrior wrote:
Keep on railing against things that you are powerless to change and have been going on since before humanity achieved sentience, I guess.


Fuck entropy.
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.