Some multi-school spell proposals

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 19:58

Some multi-school spell proposals

There are a number of areas that I think are open in terms of design space, so consider this post to be brainstorming about spell-effects that haven't really been heavily investigated and in an attempt to fill up some gaps in certain spell schools. I would love feedback or for others to share their ideas as well before perhaps moving this to Game Design Discussion.

Verigold's Autonomous Vacuum
Spell Level: 7 or 8
Schools: Air/Hexes/Conjurations
Effect: As the Silence spell, but it can be targeted and placed somewhere within 5-6 squares of the caster and projects an aura of silence 6-7 squares in any direction at max power. Useful for quick escapes and for neutering enemy casters while you buff up or similar.

Layghal's Larceny
Spell Level: 5
Schools: Charms/Hexes
Effect: The caster chooses a target within 4 squares and attempts to steal any positive magical statuses affecting the target (target has a chance of nullifying the effect based on HD, with opposing spell-casters getting a slight buff to the resistance chance).

Layghal's Grand Larceny
Spell Level: 8
Schools: Charms/Hexes/Transmutations
Effect: As Layghal's Larceny, but it targets an area and has an additional chance of transferring any negative status from the caster to the target(s) based on HD. Creatures immune to the given negative effects have a high chance of ignoring the latter aspect, but are not considered fully immune (say, 90% resistance chance), so you might be able to poison an otherwise rPois+ monster and the like.

Blizzard
Spell Level: 6? 7?
Schools: Ice/Conjurations
Effect: Creates Blizzard conditions in a relatively large area around the caster (6 squares?) that disrupts LOS and deals small but respectable damage each turn to any enemies within it. The caster is in the "eye" of the blizzard and has unimpeded LOS to the area outside of it (but not within the blizzard squares themselves)

Torvald's Tundra
Spell Level: 8?
Schools: Ice/Transmutation
Effect: The caster touches the ground, turning a large area around him into a sheet of nearly frictionless ice. Enemies attempting to make a physical attack may slip and fall, rendering their attack useless and occasionally producing a cleaving effect as a result of a swing gone wild. Additionally, enemies moving across the ice may end up sliding extra squares in whatever direction they were moving. Collisions as a result of the aforementioned effect deal small amounts of damage.

Morrigan's Devastating Mirror
Spell Level: 8
Schools: Translocation/Hexes
Effect: This effect creates a dimensional gap in front of the caster (one square forward and to either front diagonal) that absorbs oncoming spell effects and causes them to emerge and detonate/take effect at or near the point at which they originated (i.e. around their caster). [Maybe only physically existing effects? i.e. conjurations and the like, rather than things like pain that are just directly targeted?]

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 00:29

Re: Some multi-school spell proposals

Layghal's Larceny sounds kind of cool. Why not check MR though, that would seem to make more sense.
Grand Larceny might be a little strange, it could encourage some strange behaviours xD Also its a triple school level 8 spell. Monster buffs are somewhat limited, they got might, haste, berserk, and...DDoor?? ( limited to a very small set of foes).

Linus Torvalds appreciates your antarctic themed joke. The spell is kind of like Leda's Liquefaction but gimmicky and prone to collateral damage along with a hefty skill requirement. By the time you're gonna be able to cast this everything is flying, incorporeal, or harmless

MDM is reflection on steroids. It's deflect missiles on steroids, but not taking care of archery (still very very powerful anyway). I think it makes more sense as charms tho
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 16:47

Good point on LL. The draw for Grand Larceny would be transferring negative effects rather than stealing the positive ones.

Morrigan's is definitely extremely strong but it's also a dual-school level 8 spell. Thoughts on making it a bit more balanced?

As for Torvald's, what level would be more appropriate?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 17:08

I don't think you should worry about balance at this point. If the spell has an interesting effect, balance can be worked around.

MDM seems interesting to me because of the tactical potential of redirecting opponents' ranged attacks. It will have to be a lot better than current reflection though (e.g. full range, applies to beams, etc), but I think that's ok for something that is a short duration status rather than a permanent brand.

For the rest, I'm a bit indifferent. VAV doesn't seem that useful, basically you can achieve the same effect by blocking LOS, and there are a lot of ways to do that. For LL it seems that you'd just want to hang around waiting for ogre magi to haste/might someone so you can steal it. LGL seems pretty bad, since I can't think of a negative status bad enough to want to inflict on enemies which aren't already spells (e.g. Slow and Confuse). Blizzard blocking LOS is strong (a lot better than VAV!) but other than that it seems similar to Tornado. Plus there are already a lot of ways to block LOS, not sure a spell doing that will be accepted. TT actually seems like a worse form of Discord (making your enemies damage each other) combined with Leda's.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner