fsim in usual game?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 23:38

fsim in usual game?

Is there any reason why we cannot have fsim in usual game, without wizard mode? Yes, I know it can poison character when testing vs Adder but there could be a warning or something, it's a tool for experienced players after all.

It's very annoying to create another character, assign stats, skills, create weapons, tweak weapons to be able to answer a simple question - which weapon is better at current level and if it makes any sense to train Axes for +5,+9 war axe "Sagaizur" {flame, +Fly rC+ rN+ Str+1 Stlth++} and +2,+6 executioner's axe "Hiudeh" {antimagic, Noisy rPois rC+} when you have +0,+5 hand axe of electrocution.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 01:34

Re: fsim in usual game?

Couldn't you just copy the save file/whole crawl folder and do fsim testing in the copy?

Also, sometimes there are bugs in fsim (for example, it underrates draining), so it would be weird to make it 'visible' and 'authoritative' when it is no such thing and has a lot of caveats to using it.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 01:44

Patashu wrote:Couldn't you just copy the save file/whole crawl folder and do fsim testing in the copy?

Also, sometimes there are bugs in fsim (for example, it underrates draining), so it would be weird to make it 'visible' and 'authoritative' when it is no such thing and has a lot of caveats to using it.

Yes, copying the file can help though it will create temptation to savescum and accidentally I can enter into wizmode with real character. True, again caveats, very similar to situation with virtual potion of experience :(

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 02:28

IMO you should savescum to explore questions like 'How good is tactic X vs tactic Y in this life/death situation' by trying it over and over, it can help explore questions that just playing one game and only seeing one future can't fully reveal right away to you. But after you're done you should go back to your one true non-save-scum play and if you die on that it's over for real.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 02:30

Patashu wrote:IMO you should savescum to explore questions like 'How good is tactic X vs tactic Y in this life/death situation' by trying it over and over, it can help explore questions that just playing one game and only seeing one future can't fully reveal right away to you. But after you're done you should go back to your one true non-save-scum play and if you die on that it's over for real.

You have just described how I learned to play crawl...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 02:41

Sandman25 wrote:
Patashu wrote:IMO you should savescum to explore questions like 'How good is tactic X vs tactic Y in this life/death situation' by trying it over and over, it can help explore questions that just playing one game and only seeing one future can't fully reveal right away to you. But after you're done you should go back to your one true non-save-scum play and if you die on that it's over for real.

You have just described how I learned to play crawl...

No shame in it! It's the same learning workflow you use to learn an arcade shmup or a difficult piece of music.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 03:22

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11325

I am extremely opposed to allowing fsim in online crawl until CPU speed increases by several orders of magnitude of orders of magnitude. Even after that, you'd have to fix the extremely large number of abusable bugs with it. At the time of writing you can use fsim to get: infinite xp, infinite ammo, crashes of many different kinds, instant fog, infinite monster copies, and probably a lot else. Then there are the non-abusable bugs (e.g. draining all your skills to 0).

If you want to show this information, add the necessary code to calculate average damage (and accuracy, etc) directly. It is not entirely trivial to implement or maintain, but it's a lot easier than fixing all the fsim bugs, not to mention how easily new ones are introduced, and this solution has the advantage of actually being usable in online crawl.

But I'm pretty sure no current crawl developer would be remotely okay with showing that information, so you would probably be wasting your time making a patch for that. You could do it in Lua though.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
and into, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 20:57

duvessa wrote: You could do it in Lua though.

Can someone make this happen? I have a feeling it'd be wildly popular to be able to get actual data relevant to your character in one command.

Probably also hell to debug and keep correct for all weapons/races/etc, but hey, that's why I'm asking someone else to make it and not me ;)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner