So, when and how did you get into this game?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 19:57

So, when and how did you get into this game?

For me I was introduced to Linley's Dungeon Crawl by a "Top X Best Indy Games" list and I played that for a while. I was stuck on something (don't remember what) and was looking for a wiki or some other sort of info and happened to come across the CrawlWiki at chaosforge.org. Needless to say I very quickly decided to move up to Stone Soup.

I don't remember the exact point I got into Stone Soup, but it was either 0.4 or 0.5.

It was long enough ago, though, that I remember that godawful 3-D isometric tiles interface they were experimenting with. This one:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 20:08

Re: So, when and how did you get into this game?

I watched a friend play 0.7 on Linux, liked the look of the game, and started playing myself during 0.8 trunk when I wanted to play something on my new linux system. Been playing ever since, though it's become less and less over the last months to the point where I've pretty much quit the game now.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 20:13

Never played Linley's original, but got into DCSS in 0.4/0.5 as well.

I think I also was directed to it from some "indy roguelike" webpage. Had tried Nethack before Crawl (I think, maybe I actually tried DCSS first) and didn't like Nethack. In any case a big part of what drew me to Crawl initially was the ways it tried to do something different from Nethack, albeit obviously within the same genre.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 20:20

Same story as anyone with a Sega Genesis really: the futile and endless quest to find another game like Toejam & Earl.

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 20:55

I started with the original Linley's, old school baby, old school!

Never won the original but got to Zot, probably even zot:5 with a troll berserker. I played Nethack and ADOM before that, also tried Angband but didn't really get into it before TOME.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:19

I guess that makes me late to the game - I started in .9 local tiles. Managed to get one win and then moved on to playing in the tournaments and online starting with the .10 tournament. I've taken breaks for a few months here and there, even missed (doh!) the .13 tournament, but have more or less been around since then.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:55

i searched "dungeon crawling games" on google, to find some easy and light dungeon game to play casually.
crawl was on the list. I started playing on 0.12, I think, so pretty late.
when I started playing and got killed over and over, I tought "this motherfucking game, I'll finish you, I'll finish you if I have to burn all of Paris!"
then, earlier this year I got my first win worth mention. and without burning paris for this.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:59

But if you don't burn Paris then what's even the point?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 22:00

0.4 found through @play found through nethackwiki

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 22:15

Found Nethack through Kingdom of Loathing, liked it enough to try out Angband, ADOM, and Crawl (around 0.3 I think), and fell in love with Crawl at first play. Haven't touched the others since.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 22:29

I think that isometric view looks kinda awesome, so long as you can rotate it.

I started playing crawl pretty recently, when .12 was in trunk. I was reading some forum or something and someone's description of a typical Xom game got me really interested. It's the stubbornness that keeps me going. Have a few 3-6 rune wins, and I will get 15 someday soon. Had 14 once, but couldn't get out of Pan alive.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:03

I think I got into this game from a good friend of mine talking about their win of the game. But it's been so long I don't remember if that was just the first I heard of it or not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:11

I don't remember my google query but I was looking for a specific genre of RPG at the end of 2012:
1) turn based
2) one playing character
3) XP gives new abilities (not just HP increase), there are different classes/backgrounds
4) tactical battle (I was playing games like Panzer General 1/2 and Fantasy General by-email for years a long time ago)
5) no random encounters you cannot avoid.

I got references to Rogue, tried it, but was disappointed by UI so I kept looking. Eventually I found an article about DCSS at some site and got hooked, it is exactly what I was looking for. I still don't understand how I could be unaware of RGL genre during so many years. Though I must confess I still cannot play other RGL (except Tome4), I tried many.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:20

I don't remember why I started playing Crawl. Why do you people have photographic memory of why you started playing particular computer games?
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:34

Some guy recommended it over playing Nethack, and so I tried it out. (Back around 0.10)

Can't say it wasn't better.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 23:59

reaver wrote:I don't remember why I started playing Crawl. Why do you people have photographic memory of why you started playing particular computer games?

I don't.

I originally couldn't remember when I got into DCSS. I figured it out by checking the changelogs on Crawlwiki. 0.6 added Jiyva, Fedhas, and Chei and I knew for a fact that I got into the game before they were added. At the same time I have a post on my blog talking about Stone Soup from 2010, and I think I'd only been playing for a short time before I posted it, and since 0.5 was made in 2009, I think that makes .5 the most likely candidate for when I started playing.

Also, after some looking I realized that isometric view came from here: http://crawlj.sourceforge.jp/down_e.html

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 00:12

Got here after playing nethack, then reading on wiki about ADOM, angband, and TOME. I don't remember the version. But it was in a time where you still had exp pools, you needed something sharp to butcher corpses, and where I couldn't beat Jessica OR Ijyb (maybe i was fighting with my knife or something). Then I quit, came back some time later, read wiki thoroughly and tried it again with better luck.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 00:52

I came across Desktop Dungeons on reddit and someone mentioned in the comments that it was a roguelike. I tried Crawl next, found it overwhelmingly complex, and played POWDER (excellent game, by the way) for a few months before forcing myself to understand Crawl. Got hooked pretty quickly, though I can't play that much lately because college is kicking my ass.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 01:59

isometric tiles looks amazing omg

I have been playing since .09 iirc. Mostly Ogres.

For this message the author RichardGamingo1 has received thanks:
Klown

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 10:24

I don't recall exactly when ... but I think it was because of the "how did you last die" thread on the Bay12 (Dwarf Fortress) forums.
DCSS was quite recurring there, and had some original deaths.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 10:27

I started with Nethack around 1991. After 1995 I started following and posting to rec.games.roguelike.nethack. Then I noticed people posting in rec.games.roguelike.misc about a cool sounding game called Linley's Dungeon Crawl. I started playing Crawl in 1998.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 12:43

I had played Vulture's Eye many years before DC:SS and never got below the second floor on that one. I just don't get Nethack...

What made me find out about DC:SS was the Desktop Dungeons Alpha. It mentioned somewhere that it was inspired from DC:SS so I decided to check this game. It was back around 0.6-0.7 that I started playing stable and quickly became addicted to trunk to be able to see all the changes fast. :D
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 14:23

ls /bin/games on a college Solaris box in 1996 listed Angband early in alphabetical order, and I played it some when network problems temporarily prevented access to my favorite MUD.

In 2008 when it was my turn to feed my infant son at night, I needed something to do for a few minutes to keep from falling asleep while I waited to see if the baby would cry again. (If he cries, it wakes the wife, and it might as well have been her turn). I tried Angband and Nethack and settled on crawl because it is so easy to leave and return with all the note-taking built in. There's no reason to ever say, "I can't help the baby, I 'm playing crawl, and I don't want to forget my place."

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 15:54

I first remember playing Crawl on a student club computer in 2006 or so, at the height of my NetHack mania. I never got very far with it (I think I played one character, a MDFi who made it far enough to worship Xom).

Six years later, shortly after picking up NetHack again and winning every possible background, I decided I wanted another roguelike to tinker with; the talk of #nethack those days was Crawl, so I decided to check it out and the rest is history.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 16:37

0.12 last Spring.

I can only stand playing a handful of roguelikes, and Crawl is easily the best out of those. Love the active development. I like how skill can push you to wins, not just some silly trap dungeon where a spear pops out, plunges through your heart and laughs at your character's death. Only roguelike I play these days.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 17:30

Started with Nethack . . . I dunno, early 2000s. Got bored with Nethack. Tried Slash'EM, meh. Tried Crawl, for some reason decided I didn't like the interface (!) and set roguelikes aside for a long time.

Sometime around Crawl 0.9 I tried Crawl again. I had forgotten all the Nethack commands so I didn't feel like I was fighting things there. Decided the Crawl interface was, yeah, only about 100x better than Nethack's. Webtiles was out, it was awesome. Played a bunch of 0.9 games, won a few times. Decided I wanted games with more story, wandered away.

A few months back either me or my son started messing around with Crawl again for no particular reason and we both got hooked for a while. I'm thinking about setting it aside again (not quite yet!) but if I do I'm sure I'll be back later. It's really cool to walk away from a game for a year or two and come back to find it got much better.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 17:42

I was into Dwarf Fortress first. Then I watched some Let's Plays of One F Jef playing DF Adventure mode and realized that roguelikes are pretty cool. Tried Nethack but found DCSS more to my liking. I think it's basically a quest to recapture the magic of playing JRPGs on the SNES as a teenager.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 17:47

This seems like a good question to ask the next time we have a big survey.

Personally, I came to Crawl shortly after I got bogged down in my second serious nethack game. I had been playing on the iPhone nethack and just got sick to death of the inventory management midgame; there is only so much time I can handle exhaustively sorting through the hundreds of items in my sacks and chests on Sokoban 1, so I decided to start a new nethack game and downloaded Crawl and Brogue on a whim. But I never even got to Brogue, since I immediately got hooked on Crawl, and then hooked on CSZO, and now here we are.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 19:31

I got into Nethack a bit in college. But realized in short order that I kinda...hated it. I loved the idea(roguelike), but the specific mechanics were awful imo. Eventually after seeing this semi-recent resurgence of 'rogue-lite' games like Binding of Isaac and the ilk it encouraged me to find an alternative real roguelike. Looked at a bunch of reviews(specifically indiestatik), and then tried out slash'em(basically nethack), aardwolf(improved over nethack but still had a few specific things I despised), etc, and eventually made my way here.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 19:35

I played Nethack ages ago, but I'm not sure I can say it got me into the genre. I quit when, if I recall correctly, a trap (or something) polymorphed me into a kitten, and then a pack of wolves showed up.

Dredmor is really what got me solidly into the genre, and I graduated from that to ToME. Last summer while doing an undergrad maths research project I had time to kill while code was running. Someone suggested DCSS, and I got into it. I basically didn't play after the school year started due to time constraints, but I've picked it up again since.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th April 2014, 16:08

I was looking for some roguelikes when my fancy nice computer broke down and all I had was a laptop from 2007 that ran a pirated Russian version of Vista 32 bit, had a malfunctioning wifi card, weirdass user file corruption that prevented me from installing anything I couldn't change to a different directory, and a weirdly slanted Tab key that has been fixed ever since my second run of MiBe(Not even joking, that's how it happened). I remembered that roguelikes existed, and I needed some new ones besides TOME and Vulture Nethack. I went on /r/roguelikes to see if there were any ones that I haven't heard of, and found out about DCSS, which they were(and still are) going crazy over. Played it along with Slash'em ever since. Seriously, this game is like crack. You know what it does to you, but keep going back for more again and again, hoping to overcome it, but it never happens. That's my experience at least.
I really should have realized the implications of playing a polearm user named Flaccidity.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th April 2014, 20:00

started the whole "roguelike" thing with elona, then in a roguelike thread on another board heard talk about crawl and tried it. this was around the time of the 0.13 tourney.
remove food

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner