God of Mercenaries

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 05:59

God of Mercenaries

This is a much simplified version of the perennial 'gold god' that I think keeps a lot of usefulness and flavour, without the extreme difficulty to code that 'bribing branches' would be.

For the most part the God doesn't use Piety; instead using your current stash of gold as your 'piety'. However, the piety counter -is- used when you first join the god in order to determine when he first starts offering his abilities so that they aren't all offered upfront.

Piety Gain: You gain piety by exchanging gold. (Buying, selling or picking up normal gold stashes). To gain (1) piety you have to gain or lose (your level x 50) gold.

Restrictions: Doesn't accept worship from paupers (no one with less than 1k gold can join). Also not a temple god he's associated with Bazaars and will have an altar in the first one you find in your game. Dwindling chance after.

Abilities:
  • [Start] Sell! - By praying over a -useful- item you are paid 1/4 of its shop value. Items with negative enchantment, spent wands, chunks, potions of blood and corpses cannot be sold. Common items and items with low sell values may also be refused (ammo, daggers, clubs, etc.)
  • * - Pets! - The god starts offering 'gifts' of 'pets'. The pets are animal and lower intelligence creatures. The maximum quality varies with your piety and gold, but the minimum never disappears. Many of the things offered this way promote. These gifts use a normal gift timer, but have a cost in gold; you may choose to buy them or pass them up. Pets are permanent summons; similar to Beogh and Yred gifts. They exist until they die. In general, these are animals and plants; horrible things (Abyssal creatures, golems and demons) are not offered this way.
    Spoiler: show
    Intended to be comprehensive list, though ore may be added or removed; no gold values yet; roughly cheapest to most expensive offer though:
    • Bat hd:1
      • Promotes to Fire Bat OR Vampire Bat (random) at hd:3.
    • Rat hd:1
      • Promotes to Green Rat at hd:3
      • Promotes to Orange Rat at hd:5.
    • Adder hd:2
      • Promotes to Water Moccassin at hd:5.
      • Promotes to Sea Snake at hd:12.
    • Scorpion hd: 4
      • Promotes to Emperor Scorpion at hd:14.
    • Spider hd:5
      • Promotes to Jumping Spider, Wolf Spider or Tarantella (random) at hd:11.
    • Giant Frog hd: 3
      • Promotes to Blink Frog or Spiny Frog (random) at hd:7.
    • Black Bear hd:5
      • Promotes to Grizzly Bear at hd:9
      • Promotes to Ancient Bear at hd:14.
    • Yak hd:6
      • Promotes to Death Yak at hd:12.
    • Baby Alligator hd: 6
      • Promotes to Alligator at hd:12.
    • Ugly Thing hd:7
      • Promotes to Very Ugly thing at hd:12
    • Giant Leech hd:12
    • Drakes/Lesser Dragons hd:7
      • wind, fire, death, and swamp drakes.
      • steam and mottled dragons.
      • Fire and Swamp drakes promote to fire and swamp dragons at hd:14.
      • Death drakes promote to shadow dragons at hd:16.
    • Red Wasp hd: 8
    • Elephant hd: 8
      • Promotes to Dire Elephant at hd:15
      • Promotes to Hellephant at hd:20.
    • Hydra hd:11
    • Catoblepas hd:16
    • Shambling Mangrove hd:11
    • Common Dragons hd:11
      • Ice, Storm and Quicksilver Dragons.
    • Thorn hunter hd:12
    • Jiangshi hd:10
    • Great Orb of Eyes hd:12
    • Rare Dragons hd:16
      • Pearl, Iron and Golden Dragons
  • ** - Alchemist! - You may buy potions from the god at any time. These are much more expensive than shop potions; but have enhanced power (similar to alchemist card).
  • **** - Bazaar! - You may pay to open a portal to a bazaar. This Bazaar is guaranteed on the generation of the next floor. Portal timer starts immediately. Opening one of these portals costs 25% of your current gold.
  • ***** - Mercenaries! - Similar to the pets gift, though these are all humanoid characters, which all promote and have normal or high intelligence. All use equipment, but holiness varies. Everything available via the merc card is available this way...and more:
    Spoiler: show
    Not Complete Yet; but a little bit of the more:
    • Naga hd:5
      • Upgrades to Naga Mage or Naga Sharpshooter (random) at hd: 9.
      • Mages further upgrade to Greater Naga at hd:15.
    • Salamander hd: 7
      • Upgrades to Salamander Mystic or Salamander Firebrand (random) at hd:12.
    • Demonspawn hd:6
      • Gains a subspecies at hd:12 (Infernal, Gelid, Putrid, Monstrous, Torturous)
      • Gains a Profession at hd:18 (Blood Saint, Black Sun, Warmonger, Chaos Champion, Corrupter).
    • Imps hd:4
      • Crimson, White, Shadow and Iron
      • At hd: 8:
        • Crimson Imp promotes to Red Devil.
        • White Imp promotes to Ice Devil.
        • Shadow Imp promotes to Soul Eater.
        • Iron Imp promotes to Iron Devil.
      • At hd: 16:
        • Red Devil promotes to Balrug
        • Ice Devil promotes to Blizzard Demon.
        • Soul Eater promotes to Shadow Demon.
        • Iron Devil promotes to Hellion
      • At hd: 25:
        • Balrug promotes to Brimstone Fiend.
        • Blizzard Demon promotes to Ice Fiend.
        • Shadow Demon promotes to Shadow Fiend.
        • Hellion promotes to Hell Sentinel
  • ****** - Live Saving! - You may ask the god to save your life. The odds of him doing this depend on your current gold and it costs considerable gold when he chooses to do so. If you have 100k gold is it guaranteed to work. When you would take a killing blow, you are instead completely healed and (Total HP + Negative HP the attack caused) * 250 gold is taken.

Invocations skill is used to sway prices in your favor slightly. You sell for [25 +Invo/3]% of normal shop value. You buy for [100-Invo]% of the normal shop value. Alchemist Invo potions are [300 - 2(Invo)]% of normal shop value.

Title instead of piety-based titles. Your title with this god is based on your current gold.
  • 0-999: the Pauper {race}
  • 1000-4999: the Frugal {race}
  • 5000-99999: the Miserly {race}
  • 10000-49999: Businessman
  • 50000-999999: Banker
  • 100000 - 499999: Lord
  • 500000 - 749999 - Aristocrat
  • 750000 - 999999: The 1%
  • 1000000 (Max Gold): Millionaire

Wrath:
All your current mercenaries/pets turn hostile. All shops in the dungeon close. No bazaars will not spawn. Items have a chance of being replaced with a small amount of gold. You cannot rejoin him.

The focus is the Mercenary permanent allies, which are...incredibly powerful at high hd; but like the mercenary card, start very weak and need to be protected to reach their potential. The flavor is still 'you get half the dungeon working for you', hence the large variety of mercs are pets you can buy; BUT this system uses the pre-existing perma-ally base that Yred and Beogh uses, rather than the more complex changing of the dungeon itself. It's intended to have more of the Beogh-side feel of having to protect and grow your allies, instead of 'they are as strong as you are going to get' which Yred gives. Also at the high end (having kept shit alive) they are extremely powerful; but it takes having sacrificed a lot of valuable items and protected your mercenaries to get to that point.

THAT SAID; this is intended as a simplification to the old Gold god that rethemed it jut a touch. if it's still too much it can still be trimmed.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 07:14

Re: God of Mercenaries

this sounds like the ultimate scumming god for me

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 11:44

bcadren wrote:Sell! - By praying over a -useful- item you are paid 1/4 of its shop value. Items with negative enchantment, spent wands, chunks, potions of blood and corpses cannot be sold. Common items and items with low sell values may also be refused (ammo, daggers, clubs, etc.)

Selling items is on the won't do list.

For reference, this is the gold god proposal (note fresh comments from dpeg):

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... opose:gold

IMO, bribe branch is the best part of the gold god proposal. I wouldn't want to lose that. Your version of Mercenaries is pretty much the same as Yred/Beogh.

bcadren wrote:without the extreme difficulty to code that 'bribing branches' would be.

IMO coding difficulty is never a huge factor in whether something gets in or not. Also, IMO it's not really that difficult - mechanically it's quite similar to meeting monster orcs as a Beogh follower. The most interesting part is deciding which branch you're going to bribe.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 11:52

DracheReborn wrote:Selling items is on the won't do list..

Because it fosters carrying them around to take them to shops is why...they don'twant you to stash items just to sell...selling by praying over isn't that mechanically different than sacrificing to Neme or Ely.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 12:03

bcadren wrote:sacrificing to Neme or Ely.

Both of those are scummy too, and it's probably more likely that they'll eventually be removed than that a new, similar mechanic will be added. Less likely for Ely I think, unless someone can think up of a better "bootstrap" piety gain mechanic.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 15:24

DracheReborn wrote:
bcadren wrote:sacrificing to Neme or Ely.

Both of those are scummy too, and it's probably more likely that they'll eventually be removed than that a new, similar mechanic will be added. Less likely for Ely I think, unless someone can think up of a better "bootstrap" piety gain mechanic.

Maybe you just start with extra piety upon worshiping Ely? (Kind of like what happens with Lugonu?) And let piety experience a net raise slowly with exploration up to * or ** or something?

Nemelex should just give you a portion of piety upon worship that scales up based on the total value of all items you have encountered, or something, up to a certain limit, and doesn't give piety for sacrificing old stuff (like with Zin and gold, you can't scum by not picking up gold and doubling back). So if you switch super late the game simulates your going back and sacrificing all the junk you aren't using, without making you actually do this. And also puts a cap on how much piety you can get just from this (probably should max out at ***).

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 20:56

Like DracheReborn, I consider Branch Bribing to be *the* constituting gold god power. I wouldn't bicker too long over the potion effect, the shop effect, or item duplication. But I don't think you can have something called "gold god" without bribing people. You may note that lots of people campaigned for individual (i.e. target monster) bribing. I just happen to think that the branch-wide version is stronger, more flavourful and easier to play. This proposal offers something much weaker -- much closer to more standard gods with allies.

Regardless, life saving is out of the question, especially in the way proposed. (Compare with the other forms of more-or-less life saving in Crawl: Elyvilon, Zin, Lugonu.)

However, all of this is kind of moot: I am absolutely certain that the gold god will come down upon us before long. I couldn't see whether it'd be 0.15 or 0.16 or whatever, but I've seen the future and it is golden!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:26

bcadren wrote:
Title instead of piety-based titles. Your title with this god is based on your current gold.
  • 0-999: the Pauper {race}
  • 1000-4999: the Frugal {race}
  • 5000-99999: the Miserly {race}
  • 10000-49999: Businessman
  • 50000-999999: Banker
  • 100000 - 499999: Lord
  • 500000 - 749999 - Aristocrat
  • 750000 - 999999: The 1%
  • 1000000 (Max Gold): Millionaire

This scale is way off - you will likely never get much over 15k in any game, even 15 rune games, and usually less than 10k. Unless you're running 10+ ziggs or infinite pan/abyss, you'll never be near even Banker (50,000). I know there's the sac items for 1/4 value mechanic, but I'm not sure that is really a good idea.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner