Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 07:15

Couple Salamanders

Since Grunt posted his idea of a salamander; I thought I'd post my couple -base ideas- these aren't developed and I never really could pick which I preferred as a more viable race.

Justifications:
  1. With the Wyrm Version: With Djinni, having rHellfire with no cost was broken. Having rHellfire, no scrolls is...another mummy. GREAT BONUS, horrible cost that probably outweighs the bonus. The activated abilities are to make up for the lack of Identify and Remove Curse scrolls, which despite not necessarily being as beloved as other scrolls are the most -necessary to win. Mummies had something similar to make up for the lack of curing and Restore Abilities.
  2. The Dual version: Half me tripping up to the original myths and half...a race without the countertraining penalty might encourage building differently than one with it. Also it brings back Lava Orc's Temperature a little bit, but it's based on actual temperature rather than 'tension'...you get bonuses from being in flame clouds or lava; (Regen, Faster Movement). It might be better if being cold and being hot gave different bonuses/maluses to encourage players to have both ice and fire and switch between them situationally. Perhaps being hot enough (Fire Storm on yourself) can make you fast and immune to hellfire; but with lower AC/EV (backlight yourself and a stony armour turns into a mushier liquid magma); while being cold enough would grant you higher AC (Compliment the use of Ozo's Armour), but keep you moving quite slow and maybe say...give higher MP regeneration. The speed up/Slow down due to literal temperature would also be interesting to combine with Chei, either they are allowed to speed up because it's natural or Chei forbids them from stepping into magma or using fire magic. (The former is probably better/more unique and interesting).
  3. Also on the dual version. The unique weaknesses are to make up for the high elemental weaknesses; somewhat making the race the opposite of an undead (bad energy resistances and good elemental instead of the opposite). I almost also gave it rPois-; but since everyone complained about that on formacids, I don't guess it's worth it? I didn't play rPois- formacids so I don't know how bad that was.
  4. In both cases: The fire resistance is removed during necromutation to prevent the player from being immune to everything in Gehenna and Cerebov Pan. You can be immune to Fire/Hellfire OR Torment, both at the same time would make huge section of hell too easy.

And Short version of Racial Traits:
  1. "Demonic Wyrm" Salamander: A demonic being of fire that is permanently boiling hot and cannot touch scrolls; having an array of fiery abilities to deal with this.
    • Slow II.
    • Deformed; Can use Naga Bardings.
    • rF (Immune), rHellfire, rC--, rHoly--[Hellfire immunity and Cold Weakness are removed through Necromutation; other transmutations work as normal.]
    • Land/Lava Amphibious
    • Demonic
    • You can't use scrolls 'they burn up on your touch'
    • Racial ability "Destroy" (6 MP); melt a piece of equipment off of you. If destroying a distortion weapon, you get the unwield effect.
    • Racial ability "Remove Curse" (1 Permanent MP) [same as the scroll].
    • Racial ability "Reforge" (Free), applies a similar blessing to an altar prayer -> 3 Enchant Weapon III's, Applies a Flame Brand if unbranded...brand maintained otherwise. Weapons with a demonic equivalent change to the demonic version (Trident -> Demon Trident, etc.). Can only be used once per game. Unlocks at XL 18.
    • You gain two natural fire enhancers with level and leave a trail of flaming clouds (like Efreet, not like RoF/Asmodeus). Your UC also gains the flaming brand.
  2. "Duality" Salamander: A creature with a core so cold that it is completely insulated against even the hottest fire. They are extremophiles, gaining energy from the heat.
    • Frozen Blood (Slow III, Slow Healing II, Slow Metabolism III); which is removed through temperature (Flaming clouds, Lava, Ring of Flames [technically also being hit with fire attacks, but most enemies will be smart enough not to do that.]); switches to (Fast I, Regen II).
    • Deformed; Can use Naga Bardings.
    • rF (immune); rC++; rElec-; rN- [Fire immunity is removed through Necromutation; other transmutations work as normal.]
    • Land/Lava Amphibious
    • Natural
    • Doesn't countertrain (no penalty for learning both fire and ice magic) and has good apts in most the elements (Fire: +3, Ice: +3, Earth: +2, Air: -2).
    • Gains freezing brand UC with level.

Other apts and the like haven't been worked out; nor am I set in stone on how the duality version could work. These are rough and i"d like input to whittle them down.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}