NEW RACE: White Elf

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 11:54

NEW RACE: White Elf

Since there have been many race proposals floating around and some implemented too (VS, Fo) I decided to chime in! This race is called White Elf and it's in the elven subcategory. I'll begin with the background story, mutations and then I'll introduce aptitudes.

Introduction:

White Elves are a monstrous elven species that was born before time immemorial via breeding experiments with OGRES! They are an ancient race and have many interesting and unique mechanics. They can harness many powers lost to other elves and for that reason they are generally despised among grey, dark and purple elves. Their age is both their strenght and their weakness. White Elves are deeply magical being, like Gandalf.

Mutations:

Slow healing 2: White Elves are very old so they heal more slowly. Also slow healing is an interesting mechanic especially while in combat.
Fast metabolism 2: Elves are always hungry for knowledge! You better find some rings of sustenance before it's too late...
Can wield giant clubs: They are ogre-elf HYBRIDS! It's makes for interesting trade offs in weapon selection.
Can wear two amulet: Double faith since elves are pious!
Iron burns your skin: You need to switch rings every 200-300 turns or they start dealing constant, increasing damage to you. You can switch to same rings so remember to have 2-4 rings of fire resistance for Orb of fires! Armour and weapons are not affected because it would be stupid to constantly have to swap them. Flavour: White Elves were born before iron and other metals came to be and their immune system isn't used to them yet.
You can cast spells using your HP: Enough said, this was the mechanic that was definitely worth saving for from the Djinn! suites the magical beings them here.
You gain powers from consuming magical items: When you consume a glowing etc. prefix weapon or armour or magical rings or amulets from your inventry you gain it's powers for 10 turns. Only 3 effects may be in effect at all times. After 10 turns the item vanishes and you lose the bonus. Bonus per item capped at 1. Flavour: White Elves are deeply magical creatures that can harness all magic around them.

Innate resistances:

rCons X: White Elves have so little interest in earthly matters that they constantly forget to protect their belongings. This part is mostly for flavour which is very important since it makes the distinction between the non-monstrous elves.
rElec: This is pretty strong especially early on but they need something to make up for their downsides!
rFire+: To make up for fast metabolism.
rCold+: To make up for fast metabolism.
rSlow: To make up for fast metabolism. How come no race has this? Well, it fits the theme.

Aptitudes:

There has been a lot of species with plain, boring and flat aptitutudes recently, this species aims to fix this design flaw!

Staves +5 (Magical creatures)
Clubs + 5 (Ogre genes)
Swords: -1
Other weapon aptitudes: -4

Invocations: +1
Evocations: +1

Fire: +4
Earth: +5
Ice: -3
Air: -5
Poison: +5 (old age brings cunning)
Translocations: +4
Necro: -4
Charms: +5
Spellcasting: +3 (Deeply magical creatures!)

Stealth: 5

EXP: -3.White Elves already have learned pretty much anything they consider worth knowing.
HP: +3. Ogre genes.
MP +3: Magical beings.

So what do you think? Comments, suggestions? After comments, I'm going to post this to dev wiki too, I don't think the proposals get enough visibility in GDD alone..

EDIT. Accidentally posted in CYC.

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks: 7
and into, arcanist, Bloax, duvessa, jason0320, Leafsnail, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 11:59

Re: NEW RACE: White Elf

i dont really think there should be a race with +5 apt anything

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 12:07

headcrab0803 wrote:i dont really think there should be a race with +5 apt anything

<Sequell> Stealth: Sp: 5!, Vp: 5!, Na: 5!, Ha: 4, Op: 4, Ko: 4, Fe: 4, VS: 3, DE: 3, Fo: 3, DD: 3, Gh: 2, HE: 2, Mf: 2, Gr: 2, Hu: 1, Te: 1, Ds: 0, Dr: 0, Dg: 0, Mu: -1, Mi: -1, HO: -1, LO: -1, Og: -1, Ce: -3, Tr: -4*

conclusion: sp, vp and na are poorly thought out unbalanced races, probably made by someone from cyc

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 12:10

Mankeli wrote:EDIT. Accidentally posted in CYC.

Nice touch.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Mankeli, Psiweapon

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 12:23

too imbalanced. +5 fire +3 conj + 3 spellcasting - they will cast firestorm after finishing the lair.
too boring to play inho...

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 12:33

Wonderful race proposal. Too bad there's no room for another Elf species.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 12:56

headcrab0803 wrote:i dont really think there should be a race with +5 apt anything

There already is.

DracheReborn wrote:Nice touch.

Thank you but what do you mean. Thanked accidentally, sory.

arcanist wrote:too imbalanced. +5 fire +3 conj + 3 spellcasting - they will cast firestorm after finishing the lair. too boring to play inho...

Don't judge it before you try it! At the very least the devs should give this a fair chance. Also because they have low ice they have trouble getting both the storm spells.

TehDruid wrote:Wonderful race proposal. Too bad there's no room for another Elf species.

Thank you! Although I think that the disagreements between differently colored elves makes plenty room for this!

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 13:53

Mankeli wrote:Iron burns your skin: You need to switch rings every 200-300 turns or they start dealing constant, increasing damage to you. You can switch to same rings so remember to have 2-4 rings of fire resistance for Orb of fires! Armour and weapons are not affected because it would be stupid to constantly have to swap them. Flavour: White Elves were born before iron and other metals came to be and their immune system isn't used to them yet.

I think you should have certain weapons burn as well, so you have to switch, like the rings. Ideally this could extend to armor but yes, I agree, having to switch that constantly would be bad because the interface doesn't support it well. Maybe something like, can't wear helmets (only caps/wizard hats, these guys are wizardly elf/ogres anyway right) and if you are wielding certain iron weapons have to switch then occasionally. This would make weapon chioce more interresting, you'd have another layer of depth added there. Not just "does this do more damge" but "am I allergic to this," these are the sorts of interesting decisions Crawl is made of, my friend.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 4
Bloax, duvessa, Mankeli, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 14:31

Mankeli wrote:Don't judge it before you try it! At the very least the devs should give this a fair chance. Also because they have low ice they have trouble getting both the storm spells.

you dont need two storm spells. One storm spell is usually enough to win.
also, just look at the tengu. they are the most conjuration focus race in the game. Still they have +3 in conjuration and only +1 in fire and -1 in spellcasting despite being magical race

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 14:44

If they can have Fire Storm after Lair, they should have 40% HP of a human.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 15:05

did nobody notice the conserve-?

This sounds like an awful fiddly race, but wildly overpowered at the same time. You didn't mention if they can wear boots and gloves, or if they can wear all armour or not, but I'm assuming they're the same as ogres in that sense.

And why two amulets?

Now, as far as ring switching, do you have to let the ring 'cool down' or something, or just take it off and put it right back on?

I would play this race because it's so outrageously powerful, and I would hate every minute of it, because it's so outrageously fiddly.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 15:24

Mankeli wrote:Thank you but what do you mean. Thanked accidentally, sory.

Now I think you're pushing it :lol:

Ok, who's saying it first?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 15:26

I don't know what are you talking about, this proposal is easily better than 90% of race proposals I see on Tavern.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Bloax, Mankeli, variouselite

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 17:06

10/10 do want.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
Mankeli

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 17:44

What the hell, am I missing something? RC+, RF+, cons-? Fast metabolism 2? Rslow!?!?!?!
+30% HP and MP?
2 amulets?
Those Apts!?
Is there some joke I'm not in on or something? The disadvantages are mainly just annoyances, while the advantages are HUGE!

This would be the species to take for every background that isn't Ne, Ae, or Ie.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:03

IMO they should also have fast movement, because elves are nimble and it fits the theme. To make up for it you could give them maprot.
Last edited by Leafsnail on Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks: 2
Bloax, variouselite

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:07

damiac wrote:What the hell, am I missing something? RC+, RF+, cons-? Fast metabolism 2? Rslow!?!?!?!
+30% HP and MP?
2 amulets?
Those Apts!?
Is there some joke I'm not in on or something? The disadvantages are mainly just annoyances, while the advantages are HUGE!

This would be the species to take for every background that isn't Ne, Ae, or Ie.

Sar wrote:I don't know what are you talking about, this proposal is easily better than 90% of race proposals I see on Tavern.

Tiktacy wrote:10/10 do want.

Sorry damiac but the people have spoken. Maybe less hate and more appreciation for people who want to contribute.

Also you greatly underestimate the impact of -4 necromancy aptitude: this means you can't get necromutation easily to survive fast metabolism 2.

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks: 4
Bloax, duvessa, Sar, Tiktacy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:23

Mankeli wrote:
Also you greatly underestimate the impact of -4 necromancy aptitude: this means you can't get necromutation easily to survive fast metabolism 2.

Wait what!?!

I mean... my every instinct is telling me there's some joke here I'm missing. centaurs have fast metabolism 1 and herbavore, I certainly don't have to get necromut on them to survive.
Is this just a jab at Bcadren for all his proposals?

Oh well... if you're serious, this is a terrible, terrible species proposal.
If this is a joke, very well done, you got me.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
variouselite

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:28

damiac wrote:What the hell, am I missing something? RC+, RF+, cons-? Fast metabolism 2? Rslow!?!?!?!
+30% HP and MP?
2 amulets?
Those Apts!?

Hey damiac did you know

someone painted "Gullible" on your ceiling

For this message the author Viashino_wizard has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:30

Well, those bastards not only painted 'Gullible' on my ceiling, but they used invisible ink! Now, I've been informed that my shoes are untied, so I have to go.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 19:12

coders? coders?

before greenlighting this I want to hear more about the lore and mythological source material

one more important pt...exiting apts are important but apt symmetry makes apts more fun...which makes them better. so probably take ice to -4 and necro to -5. just an aesthetic thing but coders will be more likely to code this if this kind of exciting stuff catches their eye.

btw anyone around to code this/knows how to code? Even just the 2x amulet thing seems good enough to me, but introducing a bunch of different item-destruction vulnerability levels? what do you think?

Pres-, Pres0, Pres+, Pres++, etc?
different rSlow levels? seem good to me

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 19:25

Mankeli wrote:White Elves are a monstrous elven species that was born before time immemorial via breeding experiments with OGRES!

GROSS!

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 19:36

I bet the gnomes did it.

Spoiler: show
Arcanum spoilers:

Spoiler: show

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 20:02

Leafsnail wrote:IMO they should also have fast movement, because elves are nimble and it fits the theme. To make up for it you could give them maprot.

LOVE THIS :P :P :P :P :P

But, it's very, very important that this stacks in labyrinths, so that they can only ever see the 8 tiles around them and nothing beyond that is ever visible. In other words LOS = 1, and instant maprot of all tiles when you move. You should still be able to do labyriths this way, but it will be much tricker and the minotaur will ambush you every time, but you're an elf-ogre, so you'll probably laugh in the minotaur's face before blowing him back against a far wall (that you can't even see!)

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 21:35

Thanks for this thread Mankeli.
It's nice to know no matter how terrible my proposals are, there's someone out there who's proposals are even worse.
Edit:

If a proposal in GDD is terrible enough, it gets moved to CYC.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 21:45

khalil wrote:Thanks for this thread Mankeli.
It's nice to know no matter how terrible my proposals are, there's someone out there who's proposals are even worse.
Edit:

If a proposal in GDD is terrible enough, it gets moved to CYC.

are you real

For this message the author Viashino_wizard has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 22:00

It says that in the GDD You Must Read This Before Posting sticky.
Presumably he didn't read it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 22:02

khalil wrote:It says that in the GDD You Must Read This Before Posting sticky.

You should probably check your ceiling too.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 22:11

Viashino_wizard wrote:
khalil wrote:It says that in the GDD You Must Read This Before Posting sticky.

You should probably check your ceiling too.

Just grimy ceiling tile,cobwebs, and the occasional bloodstain. I should probably get around to cleaning it someday.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 22:19

Actually maybe they should forget their spells sometimes too, because they are so old?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 22:50

I like how it has the dresden files fairy vs. iron thing.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 23:04

best proposal on the tavern
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks:
Mankeli

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 23:17

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
khalil, Klown

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 23:56

Leafsnail wrote:Actually maybe they should forget their spells sometimes too, because they are so old?

Elfzheimer's

For this message the author Viashino_wizard has received thanks: 2
Klown, Mankeli

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 06:31

n1000 wrote:coders? coders?

Not 100 % sure, but I heard that DracoOmega has threatened to quit the dev team if people make fun of my idea and don't support it getting implemented. Since this kind of threats have never been done before, I think this race has a pretty good chance of being in 0.15!

So thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hugs and kisses,

-MANKELI

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 07:20

Make it Mountain Elf.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 08:12

ok, that was a nice joke, i admit...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner