Icy Anchor (Spell Concept)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 17:55

Icy Anchor (Spell Concept)

Icy Anchor (Transmutations/Ice: 6): You may only target creatures in or flying over water. This spell is irresistible; though it can be dodged with EV. Does mediocre damage (resistible by RC) and freezes the target to the ground. This effect instantly kills flying enemies over deep water (akin to Petrification); on everything else; the {foo} cannot move, as their legs are frozen to the ground. Amount of time the effect lasts depends on spellpower and the {foo} may fight against this, taking damage like barbs with an escape rate similar to nets. However, the {foo} (if normal or higher intelligence and having a ranged attack or spells) may still attack without moving. Also, having part of their body frozen nukes their EV; but gives them rC+. You may also end the effect immediately and do ice damage again to the victim and those surrounding it with LRD.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 18:34

Re: Icy Anchor (Spell Concept)

When would you actually use this spell?

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 19:47

vulsuck wrote:When would you actually use this spell?

Shoals/Swamp, Cocytus or random places with a lot of water. To stop the melee creature from coming closer (like the titan running through water or even Antaeus himself (he'd be unaffected by the damage, but still stopped)...or to snipe kill harpies/things that fly over water a lot.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:01

"lets lead evey creature in the dungeon sowewhere with water, so this lvl 6 two school spell can actually become useful."
this sounds pretty bad.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:06

Oh god, Hirsch, what's happening to you? I don't remember you being so cynical. After all it's bcadren, who takes his proposals seriously?
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:10

Why not just have it work on anyone? Generating ice out of nowhere is kind of an IE's thing.

I think it would be cool to have a Fulminant Prism type thing, where theres an ice trap on the ground that goes off and stuns enemies over it, and slows enemies next to it. Fulminant Prison :D Or I guess Icy Prison

Also I take bcadren's proposals seriously *crosses arms* They are often fun to read, and I like thinking about them, even if they are often completely insane (no offense <3 ). Everything deserves consideration in this game; I stopped being crotchety about insane ideas ever since Felids became real.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:11

This could be kindof cool if it worked everywhere.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:13

TeshiAlair wrote:I think it would be cool to have a Fulminant Prism type thing, where theres an ice trap on the ground that goes off and stuns enemies over it, and slows enemies next to it. Fulminant Prison :D Or I guess Icy Prison

It'd have to deactivate if you leave LOS though.

For this message the author Viashino_wizard has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:16

TehDruid wrote:Oh god, Hirsch, what's happening to you? I don't remember you being so cynical.

I... I dont know...
what am I becoming??
(I dropped hot tea on my groin, this kinda put me on a bad mood, sorry. but the proposal have the problem I pointed.)
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:31

Original thought was...a spell that's useful in some circumstances, but not in others [like the other attack transmutation, Ignite Poison], but I can see the possibility of luring things. I guess. Actually creating traps [say enchanted water trap that looks like shallow water and most enemies can't tell the difference until they are frozen] would be a unique effect though, there aren't any trap laying ability outside of Zot defense. People might see the trap laying effect as too similar to fire's conjure flame though; you create a single tile with an effect in order to slow/stop enemies.

And most my proposals are serious. You can tell if I'm being stupid (SORD). I got where I only post small things that are quick to implement and ready to go in the main GDD though.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 22:55

bcadren wrote:Original thought was...a spell that's useful in some circumstances, but not in others [like the other attack transmutation, Ignite Poison]

You can create your own poisonous cloud to ignite.
With the exception of Fedhas you can't easily generate water on demand (phial of floods takes a moderate chunk of experience to replenish). Player water magic may never exist because shallow water is a thing.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 23:19

I don't think it overlaps with CF or FP much since this proposal is more of a crowd control spell. My actual concern is that it is in the school that already has quite a bit of slows. This is getting tangential, but I think a better school for my trap idea would be Air- it doesn't already have CC, and having a air damage + confuse or snare bomb would be really cool I think
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 02:09

bcadren wrote: I got where I only post small things that are quick to implement and ready to go in the main GDD though.

"quick to implement and ready to go" means coded up and submitted to mantis.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner