Oh no, it's a cursed ring of...sustenance?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 07:00

Oh no, it's a cursed ring of...sustenance?

I just felt like sharing this because it caused me to run through the first few floors in a panic. I decided, the idiotic sort of person I am, to test just this one ring, since I found it on the first floor. It was cursed, of course, and stuck to my finger like Trog deemed it so. So I rushed down a few floors, trying to find a scroll of Remove Curse, though I found something that helped me at least discover it so I could avoid it any further in my travels (though I wasn't sure if I was gonna start starving sooner or later).

So, imagine my surprise when I identified it and discovered it wasn't a ring of Hunger like I feared, but...a ring of Sustenance. Hrm. Did some evil wizard cackle and curse the ring, shouting about how some poor unfortunate will never again need to eat? That pretty much made my day, though, even though it's rather useless to a Spriggan and all.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 07:10

Re: Oh no, it's a cursed ring of...sustenance?

Cursed = bad is only true most of the time. Sure, things like rings of tele, hunger, or stat decrease, or weapons with negative enchantment, are almost always generated cursed. I mean, the whole point of a curse is to stick you with a bad item, right? But every once in a while you'll realize a cursed ring or randart is actually one of the good ones, or that the runed orc dagger you picked up and have been wielding was actually -2,-1. If the RNG didn't keep you guessing, then curses would just become an easy way to separate bad loot.

If you want to justify it, then the wizard who made the ring was using Nethack logic. He assumed cursing a ring of sustenance would produce a ring of hunger. :p

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 21:06

mageykun wrote:If you want to justify it, then the wizard who made the ring was using Nethack logic. He assumed cursing a ring of sustenance would produce a ring of hunger. :p

Doesn't do this in nethack... rings of slow digestion and hunger are separate there too.

IMO don't wear-ID rings especially if you don't know their BCU - you get enough ID scrolls and especially detect curse scrolls to at least *test* them before wearing.
Go kiku!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 21:55

I always test-ID my first few pieces of jewelry. They're more likely to be good rather than bad and if they're the type that gets me killed, well I was only on D4 anyway. Besides, even if it is cursed, finding an early Ring of Teleportation is very handy.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 02:27

You say that now, but the immutable laws of zot demand that wearing a cursed ring of teleportation makes remove curse scrolls impossible to find.

In the game I'm playing, I finally found one after after making it from D:1 to D:7 with it, but it's a weird day when its easier to get a scroll of acquirement than remove curse (and no, that's not hyperbole).

...Then the mutation roulette gives me teleportitis. :evil:

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 06:25

I like it when this happens. It really smarts when I have a Remove Curse scroll but no identify scroll, so I take the ring off, and then when I die I see that ring was actually a +4, +5 ring of Slaying.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 06:55

Tiber wrote:You say that now, but the immutable laws of zot demand that wearing a cursed ring of teleportation makes remove curse scrolls impossible to find.

Been there, done that already. One of those character even found teleport control first. I'd gladly trade a few remove curse scrolls for having a ring of teleport and a ring of teleport control.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner