Similar games to DCSS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 21:18

Similar games to DCSS

I recently been playing and enjoying little known games like Dwarf Fortress and DCSS that have small to no budget, but still get updated and are intricate. Are there any other games similar to these out there that Im missing?

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 21:25

Re: Similar games to DCSS

If you enjoy DCSS and dwarf fortress I'd highly suggest Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Post-apocalyptic roguelike with zombies, great character customization (stats, perks, mutations - and skills you level up by using them, like in Ultima Online for example) and a complex crafting system (you can even make vehicles). Really deep game, gets updated frequently.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks:
Kaeoschassis

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 22:15

TehDruid wrote:If you enjoy DCSS and dwarf fortress I'd highly suggest Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Post-apocalyptic roguelike with zombies, great character customization (stats, perks, mutations - and skills you level up by using them, like in Ultima Online for example) and a complex crafting system (you can even make vehicles). Really deep game, gets updated frequently.

Thanks. Looks neat with tiles ill be sure to check it out. Funny how I get more enjoyment out of these games then big company/big budget games at the moment. You can also recommend games of a different genre if they exist.

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 22:25

Check this old thread of mine out, I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting games of different genres.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 23:40

If you like DCSS for the roguelike-ness, check out these other roguelike gems:

Brogue
Sil
Poschengband
DoomRL

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 23:46

Definitely seconding Cataclysm. Haven't played in a few months because I'm stuck on a laptop and it has no mouse interface, but it's definitely an underappreciated gem.
KoboldLord wrote: Equipment that you don't have isn't going to improve your survivability any.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 12:27

Tales of Maj'Eyal is probably the most 'modern' take, but it's still pretty traditional.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead was tough to get into for me(but if you got into DF, you should be fine). It came out of nowhere last year and rose to be one of the most popular roguelikes.

UnReal World: I don't like it but it's highly popular. Think outdoor surviving + roguelike.

DoomRL: Difficulty levels, simple controls, simple everything. Lots of exploding demons with shotguns here.

DCSS is the best. ;)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 12:44

You slash the rat with your +7 +5 cursed slightly rusted very sharp meteoric steel demonic flaming triple sword of speed and pain covered with various bloods and vomit. The rat is not hurt.
The rat bites you.
You die…

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 20:14

I tried Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead and it really is a fun game and pretty deep being able to craft many things. The only problem is its so damn easy. I guess you can mess with the sliders to spawn more zombies and lower item spawn rate to change that, just doesn't excite me too much to only do that because as I said once you got like 3 in dodging/melee/cutting/bashing weapon you can roflstomp zombies and guns are OP. I wish they had NPCs working, that would keep my interest. All in all that was a really good suggestion, I enjoy it and still play. I'll check the others as well and if anyone wants to suggest more feel free to.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th April 2014, 16:00

other major roguelikes it's adom, angband (has a lot of clones/forks, most notable one is sil), nethack (has a few forks) and tome4
i personally enjoy adom and tome4

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner