Monster Infighting

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 16:40

Monster Infighting

Something I'd personally really like to see; though I suppose it makes most sense only as a god of rage or dodging ability or something instead of a change to the main game is monster infighting. Everything attacks you on sight, BUT if something accidentally hits something else, the something else appears 'enraged' and attacks the thing that hit it. (Like Classic Doom).

So a Centaur Hunter fires an arrow at you; you dodge the arrow, the arrow hits a Troll; the Troll becomes "enraged" (neutral to you; hostile to JUST THAT ONE Centaur Hunter); Troll kills the Centaur Hunter; Troll returns to being hostile towards you.

This would be a major buff to dodging and translocations (obviously). Playing your abilities well could be (almost) as helpful as using Discord. Need to be a god that gives an aura of rage or something similar, rather than a core mechanics change though; because that would be TOO BIG of a change.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 18:47

Re: Monster Infighting

ok but why

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 18:53

This sounds pretty boring in crawl. The only way it will actually work is if you dodge a missile through EV. You can't sidestep projectiles already flying at you/sidestep as monsters are about to fire, which is what makes the mechanic interesting in the first place imo. Additionally, it would be rarely relevant, as only situations like

Code:
c......@......X  (X being any monster)

with the c firing at you, and you dodging, would provoke infighting. But crawl tactics are all about not being surrounded at multiple sides by monsters, and infighting would not change something so fundamental about good positioning.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 18:58

If anything I'd be interested in how this would play out with increased monster spawns and a way to more efficiently dodge ranged attacks. (Like reducing their accuracy by the NewPosition/Shooter/OldPosition angle in percent, likely with distance playing some role.)

Probably wouldn't be anything spectacular seeing as melee monsters make out the majority of Crawl.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 20:06

Honestly when I first had this thought...it was for a vault that had statues and golems that you can't destroy...but the golems are slow enough for you to ignore and THEY can destroy the statues, if you make them...by this method. As for the statues? Conjurer Statue with higher HD than normal so the OODs can kill an end game character in 2-5 hits.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 12:47

the game automatically kills all dangerous statues for you the moment they come into sight anyway

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner