About Trunk Downloads...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 21:47

About Trunk Downloads...

The last time I said anything about this was a month ago, and everyone snapped at me because apparently asking this question is considered rude or something. Everyone told me two weeks wasn't enough time to start worrying if it's going to get fixed, and I should just wait patiently because it would be fixed "soon".

Well, here we are almost two months after it broke and it's still not working. So if it's alright, I'd like to ask: Are there any plans to fix the local trunk download page?

(Please forgive me if 41 days is still considered "too soon" to ask this question.)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 21:50

Re: About Trunk Downloads...

You can download fresh 0.14 now:

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 22:18

No.

Alright, next question please.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 22:58

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 23:20

duvessa wrote:You were never "snapped at" for this question, because you never asked it in the first place.

Anyway the answer to your newest loaded question is "yes".

Actually, I did ask. Perhaps this question was loaded, but that wasn't my intention, I was just anticipating the same type of response I got the last time I asked.

Spoiler: show
I asked:
Laraso wrote:So, does this mean local trunk is no longer going to be updated?

To which I received the reply:
savageorange wrote:That's only 13 days ago. It's very premature to ask such a question. The people who handle those builds (which BTW are not the main Crawl developers, as far as I can tell), may just be busy IRL. Or they're having trouble with their build system. 13 days is not enough of a delay to justify any worry, IMO.
Unless the people in question reply here, I'd suggest you either learn how to build it yourself, or check back in 30 days.

Which led me to explain why I thought it was reason for concern:
Laraso wrote:Actually, 13 days is more than enough reason for concern. Usually a local version of trunk is offered up once and sometimes even twice a day, and it's almost always released at the same time it gets pushed to the online servers. Now, it's been 13 days, and the online servers are still getting the updates on-time and on-schedule, yet the local offering of trunk is being left behind to collect dust.

I'm not saying it has to be updated daily. There have been times when I've had to wait one or two days before it was updated. However, I've never, ever, ever had to wait thirty days to get an up-to-date local version of trunk. Ever.

Which somehow prompted the reply:
MarvinPA wrote:I, too, am outraged that I have to wait more than one or two days or (*gasp*) learn how to do something for myself, after the server admin conspiracy so selfishly transferred CDO to a new server - perhaps purely as an excuse to no longer support the local tiles players that they so despise!?

(This is probably a side-effect of the server move, along with CDO console still being down, and presumably will be fixed whenever Napkin, who hosts the Tavern and Mantis and the development wiki and Wordpress and all of the trunk builds and probably more stuff that I'm forgetting about, has time to get to it. Compiling is really surprisingly easy if you just follow the Windows/msysGit instructions in INSTALL.txt, but if you don't want to do that you will just have to be patient and collect dust for a little while).

and lots of people liked that post (yourself included) which gives me the impression that everyone agreed with him, hence my use of the word "everyone"

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 23:47

Laraso wrote:The last time I said anything about this was a month ago, and everyone snapped at me because apparently asking this question is considered rude or something. Everyone told me two weeks wasn't enough time to start worrying if it's going to get fixed, and I should just wait patiently because it would be fixed "soon".

Well, here we are almost two months after it broke and it's still not working. So if it's alright, I'd like to ask: Are there any plans to fix the local trunk download page?

(Please forgive me if 41 days is still considered "too soon" to ask this question.)

Compiling it yourself isn't hard. I am not proficient with computers, but by following the various compile guides posted here it took me about an hour to get rolling.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 23:55

Kismet wrote:Compiling it yourself isn't hard. I am not proficient with computers, but by following the various compile guides posted here it took me about an hour to get rolling.

That's true, but please understand that manual compilation (which I never said was hard) has zero relevance with my question. I just want to know if I can expect the currently broken service of pre-compiled trunk offerings to be fixed any time soon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 02:14

Laraso wrote:
duvessa wrote:You were never "snapped at" for this question, because you never asked it in the first place.

Anyway the answer to your newest loaded question is "yes".

Actually, I did ask. Perhaps this question was loaded, but that wasn't my intention, I was just anticipating the same type of response I got the last time I asked.
the question you asked in that thread was completely different (and you did get snapped at for that one), that's why I linked to the thread
Last edited by duvessa on Thursday, 10th April 2014, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 02:25

duvessa wrote:that's why I linked to it

That link does not lead to the question, it leads to an unrelated comment I made in the same thread.

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks:
XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 17:17

So, ignoring the useless stuff from everyone's favorite berserking unique... is Arrythmia correct about there being no plans to fix the automatic trunk builder?

Before you jump on me for being a greedy entitled whippersnapper, I am already compiling my own. But still, I'm interested in the answer to that question.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 19:14

damiac wrote:So, ignoring the useless stuff from everyone's favorite berserking unique... is Arrythmia correct about there being no plans to fix the automatic trunk builder?

Probably not. minmay is actually probably almost certainly right when he says "Anyway the answer to your newest loaded question is "yes"." I was just being an asshole.
take it easy

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 19:17

First rule of Minmay references, you don't make Minmay references.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 20:45

Hmm, well I guess I missed the gem of information hidden in the mountain of snark.

Like I said, there really needs to be a "Thanks, Smartass" button, as an alternative to normal thanks, for when someone gives you the information you want, with a side dish of snark.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 22:54

damiac wrote:Hmm, well I guess I missed the gem of information hidden in the mountain of snark.

Like I said, there really needs to be a "Thanks, Smartass" button, as an alternative to normal thanks, for when someone gives you the information you want, with a side dish of snark.

I think if such a button did exist you would be the most qualified candidate to be the target of its first use. Aside from saying that someone else's post was "useless" and implying they're a "smartass", the only posts that I felt any amount of "snark" from was yours.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:11

Laraso wrote:I think if such a button did exist you would be the most qualified candidate to be the target of its first use. Aside from saying that someone else's post was "useless" and implying they're a "smartass", the only posts that I felt any amount of "snark" from was yours.

I was literally lying about something I didn't know the first thing about and deliberately spreading misinformation in the most assholish way I could think of at that moment.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:28

Arrhythmia wrote:I was literally lying about something I didn't know the first thing about and deliberately spreading misinformation in the most assholish way I could think of at that moment.

Your post seemed more like cheeky trolling while damiac's post seemed more like an attempt to piss somebody off.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:43

hi arrhy you got a team yet

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:50

dck wrote:hi arrhy you got a team yet

hi dck i think i'm not going to be playing because of exams, so it'll be a gimmick "don't play" team like last tourney. fuckin' exams. your concern is appreciated though.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:55

welp you have fun with that m8

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th April 2014, 23:58

dck wrote:welp you have fun with that m8

thanks pal
take it easy

Barkeep

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 01:43

FYI: Mac OSX builds for 0.14 tiles and console are up as well. :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 17:08

Laraso wrote:
damiac wrote:Hmm, well I guess I missed the gem of information hidden in the mountain of snark.

I think if such a button did exist you would be the most qualified candidate to be the target of its first use. Aside from saying that someone else's post was "useless" and implying they're a "smartass", the only posts that I felt any amount of "snark" from was yours.

No, I'd probably qualify for a "No thanks, Smartass" button, since I ask more questions than I give advice...
But I was directing that toward Duvessa, for calling your post a "loaded question" because I was as annoyed as you were with the responses you got the first time you asked the question. Now, the useless comment was off base, since he actually did answer the question, I guess.

But, I suppose I should just back away here, since I'm only serving to annoy the person I thought I was agreeing with...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 17:22

To get back to the original subject of this thread, Napkin and |amethyst (neil) are working on getting the trunk build system back online. Thank you for your patience.

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks: 7
and into, damiac, Laraso, Sar, TehDruid, TheDefiniteArticle, XuaXua

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 12th April 2014, 06:10

sgrunt wrote:To get back to the original subject of this thread, Napkin and |amethyst (neil) are working on getting the trunk build system back online. Thank you for your patience.

No, I should be thanking you! (and Napkin and |amethyst, of course) I've been waiting for a long time to hear word that it's being worked on.

Personally I think they should have put some sort of announcement on the homepage informing people that the trunk system is not working and that they are trying to fix it, otherwise I start to wonder if the problem is being ignored or not.
But hey, whatever, I know it's being worked on now so I'm content.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner