Vault idea: Gollum's island

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 02:09

Vault idea: Gollum's island

This may well be copyright infringement or not allowed but i thought it'd be funny if there was a vault recreating the bit in TLOTR where Bilbo first encounters Gollum.

It could be a version of the sewers, or a random early dungeon vault. There'd be a unique "Strange halfling" crawling around, pouncing on orcs and goblins (which are placed around the level). And somewhere on the level is going to be a tiny island in a lake (reachable by a path of shallow water), with a ring of invisibility on it (along with a stash of orc skeletons and a couple of random trinkets).

If you are quick or lucky, you'll spot a band consisting of a neutral "Ancient Wizard" accompanied by his 12 mountain-dwarves, all hasted, swift (making lots of noise) and headed for the nearest staircase (where upon taking it they dissappear from the game entirely).
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 02:22

Re: Vault idea: Gollum's island

This would be fine legally, at least in the US, under the defense of fair use (specifically parody). Not that anybody would actually care if it was illegal. (Nethack has a pseudo-unique hobbit w/a cursed ring of invisibility and mirthirl gear)

However, if this vault was actually created (Possible as a serial vault and criminal use of lua) it would never be accepted into the game, simply because it is awful design. It's just way too much effort for a joke - lua which needs to be maintained, weird neutral enemies, potential to lure orcs to the "Strange Hobbit" or need to know there is an island somewhere.

It might be OK for a Sprint or April Fools next year.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 14:16

Re: Vault idea: Gollum's island

I think as a simple homage vault (let's say, sleeping halfling that berserks if you take the ring), or even just halfling + moat + ring, would be sufficiently interesting as a mini flavourful vault.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, khalil, Mattchew, Viashino_wizard

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner