Looking back at past YASDs/YAVPs

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 09:11

Looking back at past YASDs/YAVPs

With my last win I reached the mark of 20 wins, which got me curious to see what my older character progress posts were like, so I used the search function and since I've posted each and every win on the forum, I got to read what my thoughts were back then. Also got to see quite a few YASDs which made me feel like I was such a noob back then. All in all, I have to say I feel much more confident in my ability to Crawl successfully nowadays than back then.

I ask you to do the same and tell me how you feel about the way you were thinking back in your old YA(SDs/VPs).
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 12:08

Re: Looking back at past YASDs/YAVPs

I got the whooping mark of 1 win worth saying, and 1000 or something deaths.
90% of my deaths where due to distracted play/hubris, while 10% where due to inexperience, AKA "holy crap, THAT's what orange statues do?"
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 17:34

There's at least one embarassing YAVP I've made. That classic example being of course when I used necromutation for melee combat in extended. (link: http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/Ta ... 202132.txt) I'm not sure what's worse though, that I thought it was a good idea, or that I actually pulled off the 15 rune win. I mean, it doesn't meld your armor, so my +9 ice dragon armor and 27 armor skill didn't go to waste, right?

There really needs to be some high level transmutation which is defensive which isn't stupid to use for melee/ranged imho.

Edit: here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4140&p=53149#p53149

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 18:34

I still remember the joy of my first three wins... I can remember where I was physically when I played each. Here is my YAVP from third win... I was so excited :D

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 21:46

I remember my only win came after a week of intense depression, which definitely picked me up

Almost all my YASDs are "why did I go back down that staircase?"
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th April 2014, 00:18

If something forced you up a staircase, it's most likely always a good idea to go down a different staircase next time. The times I don't do this is just when the remaining fight would be easy if I had 100% health, but I happen to be considerably lower than that, and so I can go up, rest, and go back down. But make sure the fight you're returning to really will be easy, otherwise take another stair.

Also I dug up the thread where I posted my first ever YASD's trying to win a DDBe: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3385&p=47066 Man that's a long thread. On the final guy that wins, I'm not really sure why I gave up my the +14 crystal plate mail of Greed (worn) {rElec rPois} to switch to a +5 GDA, but hey. Still counts as my first win ever.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
TehDruid, TeshiAlair

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 5th April 2014, 05:48

Is it really almost five years since my first win? Man, all those changes, all those improvements both of the game and of me as a player, all the time spent on nearly two years hiatus ...
/me is washed by waves of nostalgia ...

The most interesting win of those eleven was a 23-rune MiFi of Oka->TSO back in 0.8 times. The run was particularly special due an insanely long Pan trip to get rid of teleportitis and getting it back ... and again ... and again ... After that frustration, the victory feeling was almost tangible. It was as if I defeated not only the game, but Xom himself.

viewtopic.php?t=807 (Warning: very long YAVP ahead.)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 5th April 2014, 12:19

xp pool sounds even more annoying in the late game than it was in the early game, wow.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 13:10

My dumbest YASD ever was in extended with an SpVM where a silent spectre and another enemy pinned me in and I literally had 0 ways of dealing damage in melee because I was the dumbest man alive. I think there were even a number of ways I could have gotten out of it with wands/whatever and I didn't have any of those in my inventory at all. It's probably in one of those learndb entries somewhere for how silly of a way to die it is.

(Kids: Don't take 'pure spellcaster' literally!)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner