Fixed Art Idea: Ydgātṛ's Lyre

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 10:52

Fixed Art Idea: Ydgātṛ's Lyre

Ydgātṛ's Lyre: [A lyre (musical instrument); Falls under Misc] - Charms Enchancer. Noisy. Special: All charms spells now affect all allies in LoS. Effect ends on unwield. Similar to a Lantern of Shadows; you put this in your weapon slot and then cannot attack yourself. Most useful to pure mages with a lot of Summoning and Charms...and Beogh followers with a lot of Orcs and some Charms skill, etc. (Side Note: proposing originally as a fixedArt, but it could be a normal item, just as rare (and potentially useful) as a rod.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 13:49

Re: Fixed Art Idea: Ydgātṛ's Lyre

Reliable AoE charms seems really strong, and also really narrow. I'd have it so that, on Charms cast there is a evocations-dependent check for each ally for the charm to affect them, and on Hexes cast there is a similar check on each enemy.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 13:56

TeshiAlair wrote:Reliable AoE charms seems really strong, and also really narrow. I'd have it so that, on Charms cast there is a evocations-dependent check for each ally for the charm to affect them, and on Hexes cast there is a similar check on each enemy.

Some charms/hexes wouldn't make sense in terms of mechanics and/or balance, but I like the idea. Agree that it should be hexes/charms if it is anything, and that it should not provide any spell power enhancement ("massifying" several charms/hexes is in itself strong enough of an effect, surely).

I think a better interface than making someone wield it would be that you e(v)oke it, and it gives you a special status for a period of time. During that period you can cast charms/hexes as LOS effects. Chance to affect multiple allies/monsters depends on evocations. You get only a certain number of plays before the strings fray and become unplayable, but you can repair it (i.e., recharge it) with scrolls of enchant weapon. (Something like: EW 1 gives 1d2 charges, EW II gives 2d2 charges, EW III gives 4d3 charges.) Could create noise in a manner similar to song of slaying.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 14:17

I like the general idea, an item that could be useful for ally play. That said, maybe it would fit better as a god power, for one of the ally gods?

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
and into

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 14:28

DracheReborn wrote:I like the general idea, an item that could be useful for ally play. That said, maybe it would fit better as a god power, for one of the ally gods?

Beogh could really use one or two "buff allies" abilities with piety cost, to put his strength more on par with Yred while giving a different feel. (It is kind of silly that you use invocations for smiting with Beogh and.... that's it.) Of course these ideas aren't mutually exclusive, however, especially if Beogh gives a unique buff that isn't replicated by any charms spell.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 16:42

and into wrote:Beogh could really use one or two "buff allies" abilities with piety cost, to put his strength more on par with Yred while giving a different feel.

Battlecry.

Other high level orcs can do it; why not the player?

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
Viashino_wizard

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 16:45

sgrunt wrote:Battlecry.

Other high level orcs can do it; why not the player?

I read about this; but never really noticed it in battle. Orc Knights and higher can give a +5,+5 Slaying bonus to all other Orcs in LoS; it's somewhat notable...but weaker than most charms (save infusion and song of slaying)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 16:49

Well its power can be invocations-based, with +3 being the start and having a more noticeable effect at higher levels of invocation.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 22:58

How about telling different commands give different buffs. ta gives attack buffs, tw defensive buff, tr speed buff. with one active at a time.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner