Book descriptions changes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 17:32

Book descriptions changes

So, um, any reason book descriptions were just RUINED FOREVER? I understand changes to other descriptions, but I always liked the book ones, they were rather funny. Was there at least a gameplay reason to, not enough place to list spells, perhaps?

https://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/commi ... 96fb70bbbf

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 5
and into, Kismet, MIC132, tedric, Viashino_wizard

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 17:46

Re: Book descriptions changes

New players were reading those descriptions and mistakenly thinking the game had flavor, this has now been rectified.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks: 8
and into, Kismet, Laraso, MIC132, Sar, tedric, TeshiAlair, Viashino_wizard

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 17:50

A lot of descriptions wrongly implied the books were dangerous (eg "So if I carry around a book of fire too long I'll catch fire?"). Some of the replacements are a bit dull though.

e: Although I guess there's also a desire to avoid overly long descriptions. I quite like some of the changes (eg I think the new Book of Hindrance text is funnier because it doesn't explain the joke) but a lot of them are definitely too generic.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 18:04

I do prefer clarity over flavour when they are in conflict. I recently started a thread in GDD that resulted in making vamp text less ~flavourful~ and more useful. I made it because I actually observed that message being confusing and useless. I'm happy that devs listened and changed it.
I never observed book descriptions causing any confusion, though. So this change is confusing me. I mean, you can make and argument that Crawl isn't a game that should have any flavour... why do we still have monspeak.txt, anyway?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 18:27

The best change

banana

A delicious yellow fruit, probably grown and imported by some amoral
multinational as the result of a corrupt trade deal.

A delicious yellow fruit.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 18:32

eggplant

A rotten eggplant which you can throw at the Crawl developers. (It's a bug if
you ever see this message.)
you ever see this message).

CORRECT! FUCKING! FORM! THANK YOU WHOEVER IS DOING THIS!

&

is this a spelunky joke? how old is this reference?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 18:38

twelwe wrote:eggplant

I'm wrong this would be the correct way to write it, no period after developers:

A rotten eggplant which you can throw at the Crawl developers (It's a bug if

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 18:49

Parentheses are already rather ungrammatical notes, and I'd argue the original, uncorrected version is actually the right way to do things - since the sentence in the parenthesis is completely separate.
If you absolutely want it to be correct then it would probably look somewhat like this:
  Code:
A rotten eggplant which you can throw at the Crawl developers.
Note: If you're wondering why you would do that, then it's because a bug has occured if you ever see this.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 18:53

twelwe wrote:
twelwe wrote:eggplant

I'm wrong this would be the correct way to write it, no period after developers:

A rotten eggplant which you can throw at the Crawl developers (It's a bug if

Actually the original is/was correct.

A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does).

A complete parenthetical sentence, should stand alone with the period inside parentheses. (I'm a punctuation nerd.)

This is what the AP style guide recommends (I'm also a journalist) and I've seen the same rule in other style manuals as well.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
Bloax

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:10

Leafsnail wrote:A lot of descriptions wrongly implied the books were dangerous (eg "So if I carry around a book of fire too long I'll catch fire?"). Some of the replacements are a bit dull though.

e: Although I guess there's also a desire to avoid overly long descriptions. I quite like some of the changes (eg I think the new Book of Hindrance text is funnier because it doesn't explain the joke) but a lot of them are definitely too generic.

Agreed. "Dull" is an understatement. I'm all in favor of brevity (being the soul of wit and all that), but some of the changes commit the unforgiveable sin of redundancy, creating "descriptions" that tell you nothing you don't already know from the name of the object:
  Code:
Book of Fire
A book containing advanced spells in the elemental school of Fire.

:x

wizzzargh wrote:New players were reading those descriptions and mistakenly thinking the game had flavor, this has now been rectified.

I hope that by 0.15, Crawl will have been reduced to its true essence: it will taste like cardboard, and be winnable only through a precise and repeatable grind of optimal spoilery min-maxing. Then it will finally be fun!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:17

None of these changes introduce spoilers of any kind

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:19

no, i`m right (the second time).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:24

most of the crawl descriptions that aren't very old (and some that are) read like some combination of "college student trying to fill 5 pages" and "amanda mckittrick ros"
personally i'm glad someone is trying to fix this

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:32

Well weapon descs and some things like wands of para were extremely bad. Other than that I think if something should be addressed it would be things like Fannar's extremely overlong and cringe-worthy description, and not harmless things like the joke in the old young poisoner's handbook.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:36

Fannar's description was cut already and I have no protests about that.

That said, if those descriptions are considered to be written badly, I retract my complaints. I don't have a literary taste.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:46

I don't know, I see a lot more purpose in some book descs having the odd joke about crazy wizards than every other item having a huge quote that could not be more out of context.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:47

On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. "Let me have those front seats" said the driver. She didn't get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. "I'm going to have you arrested," said the driver. "You may do that," Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them "why do you all push us around?" The police officer replied and said "I don't know, but the law is the law and you're under arrest."

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
and into, duvessa, Tiktacy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 19:49

Well the quotes are written by actual writers and thus are objectively good.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
dck

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 22:35

Solved in the only way possible.

Eggplants predate Spelunky (and Stone Soup for that matter!), and describe invalid missiles. They were also hysterical raisins for a while, apparently.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
tedric

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 22:40

twelwe wrote:The best change

banana

A delicious yellow fruit, probably grown and imported by some amoral
multinational as the result of a corrupt trade deal.

A delicious yellow fruit.

Here's a good question: I never realized that bananas used to have commentary about the banana wars (American/Carribbean conflict in the 1920's)...it's being removed; but now I'm wondering who put it there in the first place...SERIOUSLY who on the dev team is knows enough obscure American History to make a joke about our least talked about war?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 22:43

Leafsnail wrote:A lot of descriptions wrongly implied the books were dangerous (eg "So if I carry around a book of fire too long I'll catch fire?").

When I was writing them I was trying to write them in a way that would suggest the effects described wouldn't actually do anything during the game (like writing that it would take months for a book of fire to spontaneously combust, when normal games don't take near that long) but I could probably have been better about it. Then again when I was writing them I was not sleeping very well.

oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: well at least the book descriptions I liked most are still in

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 23:32

twelwe wrote:On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. "Let me have those front seats" said the driver. She didn't get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. "I'm going to have you arrested," said the driver. "You may do that," Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them "why do you all push us around?" The police officer replied and said "I don't know, but the law is the law and you're under arrest."

What the fuck?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 23:36

Tiktacy wrote:
twelwe wrote:On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. "Let me have those front seats" said the driver. She didn't get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. "I'm going to have you arrested," said the driver. "You may do that," Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them "why do you all push us around?" The police officer replied and said "I don't know, but the law is the law and you're under arrest."

What the fuck?

Spoiler: show
there was a thing recently where it turned out that a bunch of college athletes were taking totally BS classes so they could maintain their high GPA and stay on the team, one of the classes was literally just writing a single paper, and one of the athletes wrote what twelwe quoted and got an A- in the class. big scandal, etc, nothing will change

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 23:45

If buses are ever added as an evocable item to Crawl, we know the man to write the flavor quote in their description.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 03:45

Her and the Bus Driver is going to be my next tournament clan name

Sewers Scotsman

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 07:52

tedric wrote:A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does).

A complete parenthetical sentence, should stand alone with the period inside parentheses. (I'm a punctuation nerd.)

This is what the AP style guide recommends (I'm also a journalist) and I've seen the same rule in other style manuals as well.

Where, then, would you insert a superscript reference? (Let's pretend that the numerals are superscript below - I don't think superscript is possible here.)

A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does5).
OR
A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does)5.
OR
A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does).5

This matter troubles me occasionally.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 19:18

Confidence Interval wrote:
tedric wrote:A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does).

Where, then, would you insert a superscript reference? (Let's pretend that the numerals are superscript below - I don't think superscript is possible here.)

A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does5).
OR
A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does)5.
OR
A parenthetical fragment attached to a sentence should come before the period (as this one does).5

This matter troubles me occasionally.

AP style doesn't cover this, so I'm drawing on APA style instead (https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/04/).

If the reference applies directly to the parenthetical fragment, but not the rest of the sentence, use the first option. If it applies to the entire sentence, use the third. Never use the second.

Of course, often you want to attach the reference to an individual5 word, or even a series6 of individual7 words,8 and in that case you want to place the reference immediately following the word but also after any punctuation, like the comma following "words" earlier in this sentence.9

The only exception is for parentheses: (A superscript reference for an independent parenthetical statement would look like this.10)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Sewers Scotsman

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 19:36

Thank you. What is your take on the Oxford comma (a.k.a. the Harvard comma or the serial comma)? As you would see if you looked up Wikipedia, style guides differ on this matter?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 19:47

I like the old book descriptions better.

On the other hand, I've been playing for over 2 years and I had never read them until this thread, and probably never would have if not for this thread. I guess that's saying something.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 20:06

CYC contest. Write new descriptions with a character limit. Winners get IMMORTALIZED (until probably about 3 or 4 patches from then).
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 20:43

I really don't understand most of these description changes. Was anyone really worried their book of fire was going to combust on them? Or that their book of air would... change pages?

I feel like this was a bad trade.
flavor------
clarity+

As this was a change I and most people would never have noticed, we must respond inversely with GREAT FURY!

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 23:11

bcadren wrote:Here's a good question: I never realized that bananas used to have commentary about the banana wars (American/Carribbean conflict in the 1920's)...it's being removed; but now I'm wondering who put it there in the first place...SERIOUSLY who on the dev team is knows enough obscure American History to make a joke about our least talked about war?

I don't know too much about the war, but the phrase "banana republic" is something I'm familiar with - a country whose government is either ineffective or corrupt and is largely controlled by external forces (another country's government, or large corporations). This is why I've always found it so odd that the clothing store would want to name itself after something which is corrupt. But if you aren't familiar with it, banana corporations have done some incredibly evil stuff in the process of selling fruit. Fedhas would be very, very angry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_republic

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
tedric

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 23:33

Code:
You establish a corrupt and exploitative banana corporation.
Fedhas appreciates your contribution to the ecosystem.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

For this message the author Igxfl has received thanks:
tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st April 2014, 01:41

Confidence Interval wrote:Thank you. What is your take on the Oxford comma (a.k.a. the Harvard comma or the serial comma)? As you would see if you looked up Wikipedia, style guides differ on this matter?

comma chameleons

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st April 2014, 04:49

Confidence Interval wrote:Thank you. What is your take on the Oxford comma (a.k.a. the Harvard comma or the serial comma)? As you would see if you looked up Wikipedia, style guides differ on this matter?

The debate over whether the Oxford comma is "proper" is pretty pointless IMO. The point of punctuation is to increase clarity by either setting ideas apart from one another or grouping them together. When presented with an opportunity to use the Oxford comma, it is very rare that the choice impacts clarity -- if it does, go with whichever one is clearer. If it doesn't, which is the vast majority of cases, go with your preference -- whichever "sounds" better in your head.

Grimm wrote:comma chameleons

In other words, what Grimm said.

Also:

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner