Quichelcoatl, the God of Feasts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 14th March 2014, 22:02

Quichelcoatl, the God of Feasts

Quichelcoatl is the god of feasts. Followers are blessed with a number of abilities which allow them to eat a wider variety of foods.

Quichelcoatl accepts only living worshippers.

Appreciates
    Killing satiation-draining enemies, such as hungry ghosts.
    Sacrificing corpses. Quichelcoatl accepts all corpses (except skeletons), but greatly prefers fresh corpses.
Deprecates
    Going hungry. Piety decreases naturally over time.
    Letting food go to waste, such as allowing bodies or food chunks to completely rot away.
    Slowing down or stopping one's hunger rate.

Abilities

Piety level -: "Scrounger"
    Strong Appetite: Ability to eat chunks even when satiated.
Piety level *: "Scavanger"
    Omnivore 1: Maximum rank for carnivorous and herbivorous traits is 2. If higher, rank is reduced appropriately. Neither trait can be raised above this maximum, even intentionally.
    Malvore: Increased piety causes increased nutrition from contaminated food.
    Healthy Diet: Oranges, bananas and lemons cure poison, confusion, sickness and rotting.
Piety level **: "Hunter"
    Fangs 1: Gain an auxiliary bite attack. Unlike other fangs; worshippers of Quichelcoatl can gain a little sustenance every time they successfully bite a living foe.
    Saprovore: Able to eat rotten chunks. Increased piety causes increased nutrition from rotten food.
    Boundless Appetite: Ability to eat chunks even when full.
Piety level ***: "Harvester"
    Omnivore 2: Maximum rank for carnivorous and herbivorous traits is 1. If higher, rank is reduced appropriately. Neither trait can be raised above this maximum, even intentionally.
    Venovore: Able to eat poisoned chunks as though they were clean chunks. Also resistant to other sources of poison.
    Varied Diet: Sausages grant an effect similar to potions of agility. Beef jerky grants an effect similar to potions of might. Snozzcumbers grant an effect similar to potions of brilliance.
Piety level ****: "Deadly Diner"
    Fangs 2: Improve auxiliary bite attack.
    Carciovore: Mutagenic chunks (including rotten ones) more likely to provide positive mutations. Increased piety causes increased nutrition from mutagenic food. Also slightly resistant to other sources of negative mutations.
    Unending Appetite: Ability to eat chunks even when very full.
Piety level *****: "Diverse Devourer"
    Omnivore 3: Maximum rank for carnivorous and herbivorous traits is 0. If higher, rank is reduced appropriately. Neither trait can be raised above this maximum, even intentionally.
    Putrovore: Able to eat rot-inducing chunks as though they were clean chunks. Also resistant to other sources of rot.
    Miracle Diet: Cheese moderately increases HP and MP regeneration for several turns. Pizza randomly imitates the additional effect of another type of food. Honeycomb greatly increases one's HP regeneration for several turns. Ambrosia no longer causes confusion.
Piety level ******: "Keeper of the Gluttonomicon"
    Fangs 3: Improve auxiliary bite attack further.
    Always Eating: Resistant to retching, paralysis and transformation into non-eating creatures.
    Eternal Appetite: Ability to eat even when engorged.

Additional Thoughts

This god was originally envisioned when I noticed that, whilst diet could be affected by species, mutations or equipment, there were no gods that significantly altered the whole eating thing. I wanted to create a god that could fill that niche, that could reliably allow a player to eat chunks whenever they wanted, without having to get lucky with mutations and/or finding an amulet of the gourmand.

I've since edited this god, granting it's worshippers more abilities and changing a few things. A couple of minor changes aside, a big one was getting rid of increased hunger rate and replacing it with piety decaying over time. The other very large one was adding in the "diet" abilities. I'm still not completely happy with how they turned out, as they feel a little arbitrary, even if they do have their own semi-rational internal logic.

On the whole, though, it feels less narrow in what it has to offer. It still could be more inspired and I wonder if anyone has any further suggestions for how it might be improved.
Last edited by BobIsDead on Saturday, 15th March 2014, 19:33, edited 2 times in total.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 14th March 2014, 22:18

Re: Quichelcoatl, the God of Feasts

Yeah there wouldn't be a reason to have the god increase your rate of eating. More importantly, though, there would be basically no reason to take this god. You'd probably have more room to make an interesting god if you had the God of Feasts (whatever name you go with) allow you to use hunger/food/chunks in a way that mattered, and not just help you stuff your face.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 14th March 2014, 23:01

Food is already irrelevant in 99% of games due to over-abundance, so I can't imagine why any character would choose this god over actually useful gods.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 14th March 2014, 23:06

This god needs more, much more than just an auxiliary bite attack. What about an the ability to devour enemies at low health, thus instakilling them. i seem to recall that TOME had something like that for the wyrmic class.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 00:11

I thought I had some bad ideas...This god is just plain irrelevant. It's not overpowered or underpowered, it's just useless.
Feasts as a theme isn't bad, but making you able to eat anything is pretty dull. This is like 'let's play as a ghoul or a troll with a source of rPois' as a god.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 02:10

no man, it is definetely OP, you can eat even when engorged at max piety!
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
bcadren

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 10:36

Remove the increased hunger rate, instead allow the player to always eat at joining then give some effects dependent on food and current hunger level. What boosts exactly is up to you, you can make it OP by increasing layer speed when engorged, and slow when hungry, or gains buff/stat boosts from eating different food (which could be accelerated to make it more tactical), anything as long as the god is actually worth joining.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 14:52

Is the pun with quiche intented?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 15:25

Roderic wrote:Is the pun with quiche intented?

I'm ashamed to say it was.

For this message the author BobIsDead has received thanks: 3
and into, tedric, TeshiAlair

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 16:34

So basically this is a god for characters who want gourmand but can't manage to find gourmand.

I wouldn't say he's completely useless, I could see a spellcaster maybe possibly wanting to pick him so they can keep themselves engorged and cast high-hunger spells, but even then it would still be very sub-optimal and personally if this god existed I wouldn't pick him for that reason.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 09:59

mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 11:13

mikee: Happy to see that your god designs have improved considerably :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 17:18

This god has no active abilities at all. What do you do with your piety?

Also, the mutagenic chunk eating ability seems worthless, unless you were going to play mutation roulette anyway. I don't care if I have a 50% chance or a 20% chance of a bad mutation, I'm not going to chance it.

Since this god is all about eating everything, maybe you could use sustenance as a cost for some cool abilities?
Here are some ideas for abilities

piety **
Active ability: latch
cost: Piety(low), 2 MP
Attempt a bite attack, if it connects, it causes an effect similar to constriction.

Vomit
cost: Satiation(high), 3 mp. Special: You must be at least full to use this ability.
Targetted ability, melee range. Throw up on the floor at a creatures feet. Causes them to fumble some attacks, like being in water. Instant ability.
Takes enough satiation to take you from engorged to full.

Bite & Shake (needs a better name)
cost: Piety(high), 5 MP
Similar to latch, but does more damage over time, possibly also slowing/paralyzing them during the duration.

Regurgitate
cost: Satiation (extremely high), piety(high) 5 mp. Special: must be at engorged to use this ability
Vomits up the partially digested remains of the many creatures you have eaten, which are themselves imbued with your ravenous hunger.
Summons 3 abomination type creatures, who have the bite & shake ability. Takes you from engorged to very hungry.

I think this would create a more interesting and potentially usable god, while still keeping to the main theme. The (disgusting) flavor behind the vomiting abilities is that the god doesn't particularly like it (hence the high piety cost) but since it makes more room for you to eat more, he's not against it. Maybe the special active ability bites would also add satiation, I'm not sure...

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 19:07

Quichelcoatl, the God of Aggressive Vomiting

please make this happen
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 20:02

I would try this god for the lolz if nothing else. Also, for some reason it makes me really happy to be able to eat chunks till engorged. Being able to bite and puke on my foes is just icing on the cake... although my suggestions sort of turn him into the god of bingeing and purging...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 21:00

The god of eating disorders
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 22:12

tendric, the idea of a god of aggresive vomiting is hilariously awesome, though you'll probably need to find somene less squeamish to write it up.

damiac, yeah I've been thinking about the lack of active abilities too, but was struggling to think of anything that actually fit in. All I could come up with was more bite-based attacks. Although, I have recently been thinking about how real world mythologies deal with the idea of food and came up with the idea of Manna From Heaven. Basically, you give up a percentage of your current piety which is "coverted" into random permafood and potions (the more piety you give up, the better the things you get in return). There'd be a timeout based on your invocation skill, so you couldn't spam it repeatedly. Problem is, I think this god already grants enough food and potion effects.

And, yeah, the whole mutagenic thing is only ever really going to appeal to people who play the mutation roulette. Though it could be set-up to also offer protection from enemies slinging mutagenic spells at you. Incidentally, I was actually going to put in more mutation-gaining abilities, but then I realised that that'd just wind up turning ol' Quichelcoatl's followers into Quina Quen, so quite sensibly decided against it.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 22:40

Ok here would be my stab at how one might try to make a god like this work:

Theoidio, God of Feasting, Hedonism, and Eudaimonia

Ghouls, Mummies, Vampires, and Demigods can't join.

You can retain food extremely well. You cannot eat chunks ("These disgusting bits of food fall beneath your standards. Food should be enjoyed, not merely tolerated for survival!"), but you can eat permafood of any kind, and get a bonus to satiation at higher levels of piety ("Theoidio makes these paltry rations into a marvelous feast"). Your different levels of satiation become more elastic: Your "Engorged" satiation is capped higher, and you have greater space between "Very Full," "Full," "Sated," etc. Immunity to sickness could be an added bonus ("Your health and good spirits are irrepressible").

Piety given upon "meaningful turns" (exploring new territory, gaining experience) while at full or higher satiation.

Lots of thematic area for Theoidio to give some passive boost so long as you remain full or higher, and should give three or four strong activated abilities which could be distinguished either by high satiation costs, or requiring non-fruit permafood. At least one directly helpful ability should be given early, at * piety.

EDIT: E.g., for a passive Theodio could boost the strength of potions; your high spirits allow you to "savor" and gain greater use from liquid effects based on how "festive"—e.g., how full—you are. That would be a thematic passive. One idea for a high-piety ability: Bacchanalia. For a period of time all intelligent, non-undead enemies who enter LOS have a chance to become friendly toward you. Can effect demons, but at a lower chance of conversion. Requires a considerable cost of permafood, as you are throwing a giant party to placate your enemies.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner