Finding DCSS in Music

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 07:29

Finding DCSS in Music

(YOUTUBE) Dethklok - Go Forth and Die

This song reminds me a lot of this game. Try listening to this song, except consider the following:

> The skeleton students represent player characters, and college represents the dungeon. The chorus, "Go [forth] / [be conquered] / [and] die", represents the countless deaths that come with the trial/error process of learning how to play.

> In the first part, "... punished by your peers, studied teachers words, ... now go forth and start" represents a new player learning the ropes and getting punished for their mistakes, and taking advice / learning from other people / learning from their past mistakes to get better.

> In the second part, "now you've graduated, ... feeling segregated" represents the player's first three-rune win and the feeling of 'graduation' that comes with moving from the group of people who haven't won and becoming part of the group of people who have won. "... back into the dark, landed where you started ... the learning starts now" represents the player going back into the dungeon to try and win again with different characters / play-styles.

> In the last part, "now you're sad and frightened, ... maybe get your masters, eight more years inside" represents the player having mastered the basics of winning a three-rune game, and trying to learn how to master harder characters (mummies, ogres, etc). The scene in hell at the very end of the song represents the player moving into the extended game (hells, pandemonium, etc).
Last edited by Laraso on Saturday, 8th March 2014, 07:47, edited 4 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 07:35

Re: Finding DCSS in Music

There's another song that reminds me of crawl's difficulty curve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Amnesiac, moocowmoocow

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 09:08

duvessa wrote:There's another song that reminds me of crawl's difficulty curve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Alright, I'll bite.

This is a song about Crawl's pantheon of gods.

• "We're no strangers to love
    You know the rules and so do I
    A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
    You wouldn't get this from any other guy"

This part represents the "good" gods of Crawl, their acceptance of followers converting to other "good" gods, Elyvilon's compassion and desire for peace, and the strict set of rules that can only be found within the "good" gods.

_
  • "I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling"

This represents Xom and his ever-changing mood.

_
  • "Gotta make you understand"

This represents the followers of Beogh, and their desire to convert fellow orcs to follow the one true god of the orcs.

_
  • "Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down"

This represents the the tenacity of Troglodytes and their ability to persevere and charge head-first into the face of danger, and their brothers-in-arms they can rely on to lend them strength.

_
  • "Never gonna run around and desert you"

This represents Chei and all that he stands for.

_
  • "Never gonna say goodbye"

This represents Fedhas', and his lack of piety decay.

_
  • "Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"

This represents Ashenzari and the knowledge and truths he grants his followers, and his notable lack of any directly harmful punishments.
Last edited by Laraso on Saturday, 8th March 2014, 16:10, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 09:18

are you an english lit student bored out of your mind during holidays or something

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 16:05

cerebovssquire wrote:are you an english lit student bored out of your mind during holidays or something

No, not really. My first post was serious, but my reply to duvessa wasn't. The song I posted really does remind me of this game, but I replied to duvessa the way I did because I felt that this thread had a pretty good chance of dying right there if I didn't.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 16:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwB9m4FslO4

The opening refrain has rich symbolism. There are subtle strains of sado-masochism, which, if you've played Crawl for long, you know must exist in the player for them to stick around.

The second variation turns the inner focus outward (and reveals the structure of the song, unfolding like a flower). This dynamic interplay of inner and outer experience speaks of the essence of Crawl. So too the emerging, unexpected tones of aggression.

Then there is an interlude with tinges of sadness. Perhaps this may symbolize a person's first win and subsequent chasing after the ghost of glory. Or, defeated resignation.

The ending sublimates individual experience into a universal "we". This is where Crawl loses its multiplicity of elements in the player's mind. We can see a similar progression in the song, it's subject matter, and a game of Crawl: build up, suspense, climax, clean up.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Laraso

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner