when will local trunk be updated?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 07:53

when will local trunk be updated?

I can't play this old crawl, I want all the new stuff! THANK YOU (no, I don't wanna compile anything myself)

Being able to choose items for enchantment from your inventory? Yes, please!
Knowing what you have just read? Yes, please!
Last edited by Amnesiac on Monday, 10th March 2014, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 09:24

Re: when will trunk be updated?

Amnesiac wrote:I can't play this old crawl, I want all the new stuff! THANK YOU (no, I don't wanna compile anything myself)

Being able to choose items for enchantment from your inventory? Yes, please!
Knowing what you have just read? Yes, please!

never, rip

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 20:39

You know, you don't have to compile anything to play trunk.

Go here:
https://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

I assume you play windows tile. If so, click windows tile build. You will get a zip file. Unzip said file, then play the game.

These seem to be updated daily. I update every time I splat a character, helps keep things interesting.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 22:45

Code:
Last updated 2014-02-26

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 08:38

damiac wrote:You know, you don't have to compile anything to play trunk. I assume you play windows tile. If so, click windows tile build. You will get a zip file. Unzip said file, then play the game. These seem to be updated daily. I update every time I splat a character, helps keep things interesting.

Yeah yeah, that's cool and all, except you''re forgetting about the part where it hasn't been updated in nearly two weeks and you need to compile if you want to run the latest version of trunk locally,

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 09:22

I want to try out glaciate and webtiles are unbearable because of the latency.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 09:38

Amnesiac wrote:I want to try out glaciate and webtiles are unbearable because of the latency.

Then play console.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 15:23

Amnesiac wrote:I want to try out glaciate and webtiles are unbearable because of the latency.

A) Make sure that you're playing the closest server, although that's no guarantee that you'll get high enough performance.
B) Maybe try playing console but also spectating yourself on webtiles. Combines immediate feedback in the foreign format with laggy feedback in a familiar format.

Unfortunately, there's no magic solution to the problem of lag. Unless some wealthy millionaire offers to host Crawl on a high quality server for free, or a dedicated programmer with lots of free time offers to rewrite Crawl's client - server seperation, there's no way to transfer Crawl data that fast.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 17:05

Amnesiac wrote:
  Code:
Last updated 2014-02-26

Oh my bad. I guess I haven't been paying attention, it seemed like that was being updated daily before.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 18:26

reaver wrote:

A) Make sure that you're playing the closest server, although that's no guarantee that you'll get high enough performance.
B) Maybe try playing console but also spectating yourself on webtiles. Combines immediate feedback in the foreign format with laggy feedback in a familiar format.

Unfortunately, there's no magic solution to the problem of lag. Unless some wealthy millionaire offers to host Crawl on a high quality server for free, or a dedicated programmer with lots of free time offers to rewrite Crawl's client - server seperation, there's no way to transfer Crawl data that fast.
I wonder if perhaps a poor millionaire would already do. :)

Silly jokes aside, that's what it is! Number of servers seem to go over time, let's hope it stays like that.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 10th March 2014, 19:11

Re: when will local trunk be updated?

So, does this mean local trunk is no longer going to be updated?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 04:03

That's only 13 days ago. It's very premature to ask such a question. The people who handle those builds (which BTW are not the main Crawl developers, as far as I can tell), may just be busy IRL. Or they're having trouble with their build system. 13 days is not enough of a delay to justify any worry, IMO.
Unless the people in question reply here, I'd suggest you either learn how to build it yourself, or check back in 30 days.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 07:42

Actually, 13 days is more than enough reason for concern. Usually a local version of trunk is offered up once and sometimes even twice a day, and it's almost always released at the same time it gets pushed to the online servers. Now, it's been 13 days, and the online servers are still getting the updates on-time and on-schedule, yet the local offering of trunk is being left behind to collect dust.

I'm not saying it has to be updated daily. There have been times when I've had to wait one or two days before it was updated. However, I've never, ever, ever had to wait thirty days to get an up-to-date local version of trunk. Ever.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 07:49

I notice you haven't offered a counter-argument, just stated what it is that you are used to. All that can be reasoned out from that is that a) you are disturbed by the disruption, and perhaps b) the upload schedule has changed.

This kind of event happens at some time to most systems if the compilation+upload is done automatically, but at some point the build system breaks; Nothing is updated online until the maintainer gets some time to fix it -- the build system tries to compile+package, fails, and stops at that point . Breakage can occur as a result of changes on either end (in Crawl itself, or as a side effect of the maintainer upgrading some of the dependencies.). Given that updates were daily, I would bet that an automated build system was in use. (weekly or even monthly updates would be a more likely trend if it -wasn't- automated).

Heck, I wouldn't even bet that they are necessarily aware that it isn't working yet, you might want to try to contact them about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 14:15

Laraso wrote:Actually, 13 days is more than enough reason for concern. Usually a local version of trunk is offered up once and sometimes even twice a day, and it's almost always released at the same time it gets pushed to the online servers. Now, it's been 13 days, and the online servers are still getting the updates on-time and on-schedule, yet the local offering of trunk is being left behind to collect dust.

I'm not saying it has to be updated daily. There have been times when I've had to wait one or two days before it was updated. However, I've never, ever, ever had to wait thirty days to get an up-to-date local version of trunk. Ever.

I, too, am outraged that I have to wait more than one or two days or (*gasp*) learn how to do something for myself, after the server admin conspiracy so selfishly transferred CDO to a new server - perhaps purely as an excuse to no longer support the local tiles players that they so despise!?

(This is probably a side-effect of the server move, along with CDO console still being down, and presumably will be fixed whenever Napkin, who hosts the Tavern and Mantis and the development wiki and Wordpress and all of the trunk builds and probably more stuff that I'm forgetting about, has time to get to it. Compiling is really surprisingly easy if you just follow the Windows/msysGit instructions in INSTALL.txt, but if you don't want to do that you will just have to be patient and collect dust for a little while).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 8
Amnesiac, and into, Arrhythmia, dck, dpeg, duvessa, johlstei, sgrunt

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 16:22

I think just saying "the move broke it, we know about it, it will be fixed" would have sufficed, no need for the passive aggressiveness really.

He said it's a reason for concern, which it is, because it's unusual. He didn't say it's a reason to FREAK OUT AND LYNCH THE DEVS! You orange names do a lot of work making a really great game, but you can be a bit thin skinned at times. Crikey....

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
Laraso

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 17:00

damiac wrote:He said it's a reason for concern, which it is, because it's unusual.

:roll:
Amnesiac wrote:I can't play this old crawl, I want all the new stuff! THANK YOU (no, I don't wanna compile anything myself)[...]

Sometimes, I wonder...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 17:11

MarvinPA wrote:I, too, am outraged that I have to wait more than one or two days or (*gasp*) learn how to do something for myself, after the server admin conspiracy so selfishly transferred CDO to a new server - perhaps purely as an excuse to no longer support the local tiles players that they so despise!?

I wasn't trying to make a big deal about it, I just didn't like how savageorange was making it sound like this is the satus-quo and nothing is out of the ordinary here. "That's only 13 days ago. It's very premature to ask such a question. ...either learn how to build it yourself, or check back in 30 days." He makes it seem as if this happens all the time or something.

Honestly, it doesn't really affect me much, as I pretty much play online exclusively at this point. (It's nice to have something up-to-date to test things out in wizmode, though.)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 17:29

tompliss wrote:
damiac wrote:He said it's a reason for concern, which it is, because it's unusual.

:roll:
Amnesiac wrote:I can't play this old crawl, I want all the new stuff! THANK YOU (no, I don't wanna compile anything myself)[...]

Sometimes, I wonder...

MarvinPA wrote:
Laraso wrote:Actually, 13 days is more than enough reason for concern. Usually a local version of trunk is offered up once and sometimes even twice a day, and it's almost always released at the same time it gets pushed to the online servers. Now, it's been 13 days, and the online servers are still getting the updates on-time and on-schedule, yet the local offering of trunk is being left behind to collect dust.

I, too, am outraged that I have to wait more than one or two days or (*gasp*) learn how to do something for myself, after the server admin conspiracy so selfishly transferred CDO to a new server - perhaps purely as an excuse to no longer support the local tiles players that they so despise!?

(This is probably a side-effect of the server move, along with CDO console still being down, and presumably will be fixed whenever Napkin, who hosts the Tavern and Mantis and the development wiki and Wordpress and all of the trunk builds and probably more stuff that I'm forgetting about, has time to get to it. Compiling is really surprisingly easy if you just follow the Windows/msysGit instructions in INSTALL.txt, but if you don't want to do that you will just have to be patient and collect dust for a little while).

Did you consider I was talking about Laraso's post directly before mine, where the orange name I mentioned in my post made the passive aggressive comment I mentioned in my post?

Also, I'm assuming the post you quoted was intended to be semi-sarcastic, as if he was acknowledging that yes, he could just compile it himself.

But it's easier to just get that cheap shot in, no time for reading right? :roll:

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 18:37

Hi, guys!

rchandra has shared this newbie friendly guide for compiling crawl on windows. I'm in the process of following it.

e: it worked! Very simple, but takes some time, like 30 minutes or more. Be careful if you get errors, because if something fails to download, it can mess everything up, so start over again if that happens.

For this message the author Amnesiac has received thanks:
damiac

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 22:35

Laraso wrote:
MarvinPA wrote:I, too, am outraged that I have to wait more than one or two days or (*gasp*) learn how to do something for myself, after the server admin conspiracy so selfishly transferred CDO to a new server - perhaps purely as an excuse to no longer support the local tiles players that they so despise!?

I wasn't trying to make a big deal about it, I just didn't like how savageorange was making it sound like this is the satus-quo and nothing is out of the ordinary here. "That's only 13 days ago. It's very premature to ask such a question. ...either learn how to build it yourself, or check back in 30 days." He makes it seem as if this happens all the time or something.

That is because it, in fact, does. Not with crawl specifically, with automated build systems in general. If you have been running one long enough, you'll probably encounter this kind of breakage at least once. It's quite ordinary and has no actively negative effect. It's just the consequence of the fact that automated build systems depend on a whole infrastructure working exactly as expected, which can be violated by upgrades, OS changes, filesystem changes, etc..
Last edited by savageorange on Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th March 2014, 22:41

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 10:02

The problem has already been solved for me, no need for your lame late sarcasm.

Laraso

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 16:10

savageorange wrote:Not with crawl specifically, with automated build systems in general.

Well gee, it's a good thing I was talking about crawl specifically and not automated build systems in general! This has never happened before (to my knowledge), but according to you that doesn't make it unusual because some dude in some other place is having a similar but unrelated problem. Yes, things are prone to error, and certain people seem to have misunderstood but I'm not actually upset with anyone that things are not working correctly right now, but honestly to say that two weeks (14 days) going by with it not working and nobody even mentioning it isn't "enough time" and I need to wait a full month before being concerned is pretty silly.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 17:03

Yeah, I know. It doesn't say daily, but based on past experience, it always has been daily. So when that stops, yes, it's a good reason to ask "Why isn't this being updated daily anymore". And that question's been answered. I don't understand why people just love jumping on the "entitled players" bandwagon so much.

There are more posts in this thread about what a jerk the OP is for asking the question than posts that are actually helpful. In fact, one could miss the helpful posts in the midst of all the snark.

So, to sum up, the automated build thingy is down due to perfectly normal reasons, and it will be fixed.
In the meantime, there is an easy to follow guide on how to make your own builds:
http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/1dow94/dcss_guide_to_setting_up_easy_trunk_updates_on/

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
xbon

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 19:06

Maybe if the OP hadn't asked like a huge jerk he would've gotten the answer a normal person would have.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 20:24

Of course dck couldn't pass by without leaving a spiteful comment. "Huge jerk", huh. This is even funny. Sorry, that was all my bad. I wouldn't mind if this thread would be locked, to avoid further mess. I don't insist, though

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 20:33

:)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 20:33

Yeah, he lives up to the name doesn't he? But yes, I think you're right, this thread left useful territory a few posts ago, a lock might not be a bad idea.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 21:40

There was a time a few months ago when auto-builds went down for a couple weeks, I understand the frustration, but I think we're probably not missing out on all that much. Just be patient(or compile yourself), they'll be back up before too long. Much love to all the devs and contributors to this, my favorite game of all time. <3

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 21:59

Laraso wrote:
savageorange wrote:Not with crawl specifically, with automated build systems in general.

Well gee, it's a good thing I was talking about crawl specifically and not automated build systems in general! This has never happened before (to my knowledge), but according to you that doesn't make it unusual because some dude in some other place is having a similar but unrelated problem. Yes, things are prone to error, and certain people seem to have misunderstood but I'm not actually upset with anyone that things are not working correctly right now, but honestly to say that two weeks (14 days) going by with it not working and nobody even mentioning it isn't "enough time" and I need to wait a full month before being concerned is pretty silly.

Sounds like you just have a lower threshold for what you consider 'concerning'. I mean personally, a routine breakage that is likely to receive a routine fix doesn't even get on the list.

The longer duration was somewhat of a poke at your unwillingness to compile stuff yourself. I mean, if you're insistent on preferring waiting to compiling, why not wait FOREEVER!?!? :evil:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:41

Laraso wrote:So, does this mean local trunk is no longer going to be updated?
was pretty inflammatory, i dont really mind it myself, but you should expect similarly inflammatory stuff in response

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 00:30

variouselite wrote:but I think we're probably not missing out on all that much

Usually yes, but this time there is the new 9lv ice/conj spell(that I wanted to try out for 2 weeks) that replaces ice storm, some bugs fixed, removal of the racial stuff, read-ID now works differently - you know what you have read and can apply it without wasting most of the time. So for me new updates are quite worthwhile.

variouselite

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 00:43

So since you're been provided a service that you find valuable for no cost whatsoever at least ask why it has stopped with a modicum of respect towards the people providing it.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 01:28

I don't know if you are serious, but the first sentence in the op was meant to be said jokingly. I wasn't actually trying to be disrespectful and I hope no one is offended. I was just in a kind of rowdy mood. I'm sorry, ok?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 02:20

Now I remember why I was going to resign from being a moderator.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
XuaXua

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner