Why does Dith ignore non-fire light sources?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th February 2014, 22:00

Why does Dith ignore non-fire light sources?

Trying Dith for the first time, it seems strange to me that he doesn't care about me casting Dazzling Spray or wearing the Cloak of Starlight I just acquired. A god who hates fire would be one thing; but a god who hates light, yet only forbids the use of fire, is internally inconsistent. This stuff dilutes the flavor of "Dith the Shadowed" if you ask me (and you did, right? I swear somebody did).
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 13th February 2014, 22:31

Re: Why does Dith ignore non-fire light sources?

I think some more restrictions for a fairly storng god wouldn't hurt. I think this is for GDD, btw.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th February 2014, 22:33

Duckmentos used to object to other light sources such as cloak of starlight but it was really awkward and bad with the number of things in crawl that may or may not emit light.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
dck

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 13th February 2014, 22:38

CYC-mode on. He should oppose coming near torches and give piety for destroying those tiles.

Idea #2: Remove all light and make everyone including player blind
Idea #3: Forbid using glowing items (meaning those which have "glowing" in their names)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 02:18

Amnesiac wrote:Idea #2: Remove all light and make everyone including player blind
Idea #3: Forbid using glowing items (meaning those which have "glowing" in their names)

Idea #4: He puts you under penance when you are contaminated with magic
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 05:52

Like duvessa said, the initial conducts forbid everything described as producing light, which got really awkward in keeping track of them and communicating to the player what was verboten. Currently, the conduct is, flavorwise, sort of split into two related-but-technically-distinct parts:
1) Things which explicitly produce mechanical, in-game effects described as light: corona and haloes. I'd be willing to support Dithmenos once again hating items that cause glow (for one thing, I liked that Zin and Dithmenos hated glow but for entirely different thematic reasons), but I'm not going to argue for it very hard. Dazzling Spray might make sense to be forbidden as well, but again, I'm not going to put much effort into that. The Cloak of Starlight, though, doesn't have any real gameplay "light" effects other than the loss of stealth, and so it's okay. Dithmenos is probably giving you the side-eye, a bit, but you haven't really blasphemed yet.
2) Flavorise, the specific injunction against fire isn't so much about its ability to produce illumination, since no fire spell (other than Sticky Flame on invisible creatures) really applies any sort of light effect. It's more of a symbolic thing, relating back to mythological history. Fire was the first thing that intelligent beings could control to drive away the darkness whenever and wherever they wanted, and was given a special mythological importance among intelligent beings because of it. Dithmenos has never really gotten over this, and thus fire holds a special place of hate in Dithmenos' heart (or whatever divine analogue of a heart Dithmenos has).

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 2
Piginabag, tedric

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 07:27

Because light is an unfeature in crawl and pretending it isn't is mostly bad

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 08:42

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Because light is an unfeature in crawl and pretending it isn't is mostly bad

What is this "unfeature"? I do not compute.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 15:34

I wish someone would fork Crawl to implement random shit like the Light/Sight Radius from ToME and all the different traits from Rogue Legacy... For the lols.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner