Opinions on music?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th February 2014, 17:42

Opinions on music?

Personally, games that lack sound tend to be the games with the most replay value.

I mean, I can think of tons of games with good sound tracks, like earthbound and chrono trigger, but games without music and sound just seem to be more mentally engaging and interesting.

What do you guys think?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 14th February 2014, 18:08

Re: Opinions on music?

It's a correlation but not causation. Games like Tetris, Super Crate Box, Minecraft, The Binding of Issac, and Spelunky have music while still being roughly as replayable as Crawl. It's just that extreme depth and lack of music are often caused by the same thing: a "hardcore" design focus on a deep game above all else.

(Which is also why the music in the games I listed isn't normally at the same tier as AAA games.)
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 14th February 2014, 18:31

HoMM3, DiscIIiples, Diablo1, FTL, Fallout2, Doom, GTA2(awesome radio), Starcraft.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 14th February 2014, 18:45

reaver wrote:It's a correlation but not causation. Games like Tetris, Super Crate Box, Minecraft, The Binding of Issac, and Spelunky have music while still being roughly as replayable as Crawl. It's just that extreme depth and lack of music are often caused by the same thing: a "hardcore" design focus on a deep game above all else.

(Which is also why the music in the games I listed isn't normally at the same tier as AAA games.)

I agree with this. Minimalist focus on gameplay to the exclusion of all else leads to the most deep and interesting games. Dwarf Fortress has some sweet music though.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 14th February 2014, 22:28

Music is going to ruin Crawl?

--Eino

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 14th February 2014, 23:23

I have some music in shuffle mode every time I play DCSS anyway. And when the music in games sucks I simply turn it of and shuffle my collection. I wouldn't say that playing crawl in the silence would be boring, but it just feels somewhat lacking.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 15th February 2014, 02:22

Most games have a 'turn off music' option if players get sick of it.

#putmusicintocrawl

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th February 2014, 03:43

I dislike music made with instruments or complex harmonies, as they are an affront to the Lord.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hirsch I

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 02:49

I prefer the looped version of this. Especially I like to burn forest while listening "The trees like torches blazed with light".
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner