Shops?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 01:13

Shops?

What's the story behind all these shops?

I'm guessing the shop owners are taking advantage of the struggle over the orb and are selling to both sides... but as I see it that's a dangerous thing to do and I don't see why someone doesn't just kill the shop owner and run away with all the goods. And from the looks of things all the goods are obtained in sketchy ways... as if the shop owner just put on a ring of invisibility and started looting dead bodies. I swear one time I bought an artifact from a shop, died soon after, and my next character found that same artifact at that same store. Coincidence? I think not.

Anyway my suggestion is to give shops more of a back story so they don't seem so out of place in the dungeon.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 02:42

Re: Shops?

I think you just did, man. ;)
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 03:18

I agree that they do seem out of place. But there is something to be said for aspects of the Crawl dungeon that don't explain themselves.

Also, they're really not more out of place than five different levels of wide open seas stacked on top of each other. Or why the Elven Halls are always connected to the Orcish Mines. Or five layers of Swamps. Honestly... the dungeon doesn't really make much sense at all, and I think any attempt to explain the dungeon would just point out how weird those aspects are.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 09:23

The hell with all that - I want to know why there's an extra level of Slime Pits!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 09:40

joellercoaster wrote:The hell with all that - I want to know why there's an extra level of Slime Pits!

the highly acidic inhabitants of the Slime Pits ate through the floor of Slime:5 a la xenomorph's blood in the movie "Alien" and thus created its sixth floor.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 10:33

zasvid wrote:
joellercoaster wrote:The hell with all that - I want to know why there's an extra level of Slime Pits!

the highly acidic inhabitants of the Slime Pits ate through the floor of Slime:5 a la xenomorph's blood in the movie "Alien" and thus created its sixth floor.

Exactly. And we'll add a new floor with each release.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 13:43

galehar wrote:
zasvid wrote:

Exactly. And we'll add a new floor with each release.

If the royal jelly sits on one square for too many turns after it wakes up, it burns through the floor creating a shaft. Then you need to jump down the shaft to chase it. How you get back up to get the rune and the loot is your problem...

(Seriously, the inability of J's to eat through the floor is very much a "why don't they make the whole plane out of the stuff they make the black boxes out of?" conundrum.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 14:12

But, we did build the dungeon out of the black box stuff. It's been established jellies can't eat stones- what do you think the floor is make of?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 18:39

I always thought jellies had to use physical effort to eat items and items which are detached from the floor are easier to eat. As for the shoals... ever read Journey to the Center of the Earth? Underground oceans are nothing new to fiction and it's not hard to imagine a multileveled one. There is nothing in Crawl that can't easily be explained. I'm just curious about the official explinations. :lol:

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 13:12

mageykun wrote:But, we did build the dungeon out of the black box stuff. It's been established jellies can't eat stones- what do you think the floor is make of?

True, that. Brain rot going on.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 18:20

Idea: Slime Abyss

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner