Discussion Can be Broadly Defined

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 19:53

Discussion Can be Broadly Defined

Since that's the second D in GDD, it follows that we should spam duplicate topics up in there.
QED
kekekela is my in-game name

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:13

Re: Discussion Can be Broadly Defined

Discussion Design Discussion

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:18

battaile wrote:
QEDD

ftfy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:23

Or maybe just continue discussions which were rudely interrupted for no reason. Having to do with brand new trunk features. The trunk build which is intended to get feedback about brand new ideas for features to make the game better.

EDIT: Anyway, the second one was closed too. No discussion allowed on the subject of unintended side effects to changes.
Meanwhile all attacks are at 1 aut GDD post: still open. Clearly only really bad suggestions are entertained on GDD, not legitimate discussion. I didn't know MarvinPA was the sole dev of dungeon crawl, and has the final say on what happens.
Last edited by damiac on Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:43

Love is good.

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:43

It wasn't even my idea. It just strikes me as being a bit odd that a reasonable objection to screwing up a nemelex card unintentionally, which sparked some useful conversation, is immediately shut down, while plenty of really, really bad ideas are still open for discussion. One somewhat poorly worded comment from me on a thread from someone else is enough to stop all discussion on that subject forever.

Eh, rules are rules, devs are devs, so oh well.

Thanks for creating this thread baitaille. Maybe you should read the forum rules here too.

The Tavern is an easygoing and friendly forum for Dungeon Crawl players. We want to maintain that atmosphere. That is why we only have a few rules:

* Do not harass or insult other users. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
* Do not post illegal or offensive material.
* No spamming.

If you violate our rules you will receive a warning. Repeated warnings may result in a ban. Nonconstructive and hostile comments may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator or administrator. Relax and have fun!

Can a mod please delete this thread which is nothing more than an attack?
To ensure this thread is deleted forever: The swiftness change accidentally screwed up the velocity card. Discuss.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:48

Oh hey, another set of forum rules you don't understand.

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 22:28

Come on.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 22:59

damiac wrote:To ensure this thread is deleted forever: The swiftness change accidentally screwed up the velocity card. Discuss.

Good point, I used to think Nemelex was a good god but clearly that's no longer true now.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Klown

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 00:57

Still slightly better than chei, I'd say
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 02:48

wheals wrote:
damiac wrote:To ensure this thread is deleted forever: The swiftness change accidentally screwed up the velocity card. Discuss.

Good point, I used to think Nemelex was a good god but clearly that's no longer true now.

I was actually hoping that the discussion would lead to a "Cards are not Spells" concept, and some of the cards would be reworked so that they aren't simply "cast a specific spell without CASTING it". In that sense, the Swiftness (and Haste, for that matter, but apparently that's more widely applied - potion of speed, wand of haste) cooldown effects are artefacts of spellcasting, not of card drawing. It would end up with each card that is outright "cast X" to be revised in some fashion.

There was one post made by, I think dpeg (who I think helped create the Nemelex/Card concept) where he didn't want new development/invention of new cards (or even, dare I say NEW DECKS) to stop. I'm all for that.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 09:31

If an idea of yours gets shot down and locked, the best thing to do is probably try to understand WHY it was locked. It's not because such-and-such is a tyrannical dictator. Believe it or not, the devs/mods aren't soulless demons who enjoy destroying the things you love (except for Crawl, obviously, which they created solely to have a thing you love that they can destroy). Usually they have pretty good reasons, and if you understand those reasons and adapt your ideas accordingly, then in the future you might be able to have ideas that aren't shot down or locked.

The exact WRONG way to go about your business is to stubbornly insist that you have some right to discuss whatever you want wherever you want (FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND THIS IS AMERICA DAMN IT, EVEN THOUGH IT REALLY ISN'T AT ALL AND THAT'S NOT WHAT FREEDOM OF SPEECH MEANS), even when there are rules specifically in place telling you that, in fact, you cannot do that. Also, being really defensive when people tease you for being stubborn doesn't usually help your cause. Best thing to do is roll with the punches and thereby learn how to not be a punching bag any more. :)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 21:26

damiac wrote:Meanwhile all attacks are at 1 aut GDD post: still open. Clearly only really bad suggestions are entertained on GDD

This is my favorite part

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 22:15

To be serious for a second:

Damiac, most threads in GDD peter out and quietly slide into oblivion. They die a natural death, so to speak, and mods do not bother locking these threads for the same reason that vets do not bother euthanizing animals that are already dead.

Now, in your case, a developer thought that your *first* velocity card post actually warranted a clear response, which is a hell of a lot more than most threads in GDD get. That developer said, "Keeping velocity card -- swiftness symmetry was intentional, so no this isn't a problem." A mod read that and just locked the thread because an unambiguous verdict had been made from a dev regarding a clear-cut "Yes/No" proposal. Well-adjusted people would take that in stride and perhaps even be glad that their point, although ultimately rejected, was nonetheless taken seriously enough that an active developer of this game considered it. Because, once again, that is a lot more than what most GDD threads get.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 03:52

Christ this is unbelievable.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 14:33

XuaXua wrote:
wheals wrote:

I was actually hoping that the discussion would lead to a "Cards are not Spells" concept, and some of the cards would be reworked so that they aren't simply "cast a specific spell without CASTING it". In that sense, the Swiftness (and Haste, for that matter, but apparently that's more widely applied - potion of speed, wand of haste) cooldown effects are artefacts of spellcasting, not of card drawing. It would end up with each card that is outright "cast X" to be revised in some fashion.

There was one post made by, I think dpeg (who I think helped create the Nemelex/Card concept) where he didn't want new development/invention of new cards (or even, dare I say NEW DECKS) to stop. I'm all for that.

This post is too serious for CYC.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 15:08

mods, lock please.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 15:13

In before lock!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 15:37

QED, more like QQ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 03:25

In CYC we don't lock topics. We ROCK topics.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 2
battaile, pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 03:45

Yiuf should get one or two lines referring to CYC.

"We no lock the thread, we ROCK it."

"Me corner is the best, arr."

"Keep the puns coming, brothers!"

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 09:09

If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner