I don't love it when...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 05:46

Re: I don't love it when...

duvessa wrote:People say that?

People say that removing wand of haste increased number of generated potions of haste
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 11th July 2017, 07:57

So I have a 3-rune demigod character with statue form, a +9 double sword of freezing, and nice loot. I can win easily. So of course I decide to forgo that and go extended for some reason.

That's not even my mistake. I clear the whole thing, grab all the runes, and with the ridiculous amount of XP in extended and my roughly 55 points of int, I get Necromut and Glaciate online. I'm feeling pimp as fuck at this point, and I finally grab the orb and make my way up.

On D:6, I meet another pan lord. I think nothing of it and engage him in lichform with glaciate. Suddenly and catching me completely blindsided, this guy paralyses me. I didn't even know that could happen with my like 4 pips of MR. Aight, no biggie right? It's just paralysis.

Wrong.

I get the whole 7 turns of paralysis. Maximum duration, according to the wiki. He and his summoned friends bash me the whole time with the help a stray orb guardian. I wake up to near-death, at around 40 HP. All right, let me just use one of my 4 scrolls of blinking and get the fuck out, right? Wrong again. I notice at this point that somehow he managed to confuse me as well. Still keeping my cool, I reach into my inventory for one of my 20+ !curing. Dear reader, it was at this point that I remember I am in lichform. I am well and truly fucked. I try to wait out the confusion by running, but it is to no avail.

This was actually quite funny to me, and I kind of genuinely appreciate that the game punished my absolute hubris. I happily reroll a new character a few hours later, my faith in crawl still intact. I'm enjoying my drops, having a good feeling about this character. Guess who I meet on D:6?

Yes. The very same.

Of course I die instantly to a full-power Glaciate before I can even attempt to run.

My faith in Crawl begins to crack. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to play again before clearing my morgue file. Why do we still have player ghosts in 2017?

P.S.: at least everyone can feel relieved to know that this happened offline. I can only imagine how much grief I could have caused with that death had I been online.

For this message the author tankra has received thanks: 8
Blomdor, duvessa, Fingolfin, ichbins, nago, ThreeInvisibleDucks, VeryAngryFelid, Zhorgal

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th July 2017, 08:10

tankra wrote:My faith in Crawl begins to crack. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to play again before clearing my morgue file. Why do we still have player ghosts in 2017?

P.S.: at least everyone can feel relieved to know that this happened offline. I can only imagine how much grief I could have caused with that death had I been online.

I ALWAYS remove ghosts when playing offline. It is not cheating.
Pan lords can have chaos attacks which can paralyze you ignoring MR completely. Yes, almost as stupid as player ghosts.
Sorry about the character.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 13th July 2017, 20:57

... I'm in Spider, without rpois. Get surrounded, dig into a nearby wall, trying to make a killhole. Right into a bee vault with meliais and stuff. RIP.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th July 2017, 11:18

nago wrote:You're playing a TrEE^Oka just because you wanna to play a statue troll, and just after finding statue form in a shop in orc:2 oka gifts that:
  Code:
 the +10 gold dragon scales "Duat Fea" {rPois rF+ rC+ Str+6 Dex+5 Stlth-}.

Oka just saved you. Gotta have faith!

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 17:24

Code:
As you read the scroll of acquirement, it crumbles to dust.
[a] Weapon [b] Armour    [c] Jewellery [d] Book
[e] Staff  [f] Evocables [g] Food      [h] Gold
What kind of item would you like to acquire? (\ to view known items)
Something appears at your feet!
You see here a scorched cloak.
C - a scorched cloak
Wear which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start removing your armour.
You continue taking off your +2 cloak of poison resistance. x4
You finish taking off your +2 cloak of poison resistance.
You no longer feel resistant to poison.
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your scorched cloak. x5
You finish putting on the -5 cloak "Osicweri" {Stlth+}.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 17:58

A merfolk impaler (77% chance of defeating MR)
The merfolk impaler resist with some effort!
The merfolk impaler is devoured by a tear in reality!
...argh. Eight attempts were needed.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 18:32

Shtopit wrote:A merfolk impaler (77% chance of defeating MR)
The merfolk impaler is devoured by a tear in reality!
...argh. Eight attempts were needed.

Most likely it was wearing some MR+ gear.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Shtopit

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 15:01

I really don't love player ghosts. I especially dislike very early ones with enough AC to completely shrug off even might-boosted attacks, that hit for 20+ damage per hit, and which are somehow omniresistant. Please stop punishing people because someone else got their hulking randart-wearing minotaur or whatever smited to death on D:4. It sucks having to skip multiple floors to get away from these things when you're strong enough to handle everything else the dungeon generates.

EDIT: Just had a game where another hulking resistant minotaur was camping on Orc:1. This time with a vamp weapon. How does that even die on Orc:1? Oh, yeah...another ghost, maybe. They're like viruses.

For this message the author Blomdor has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 6th August 2017, 09:11

VeryAngryFelid wrote:First world problem. What should I use vs orbs of fire: +13 vampiric great mace, +9 antimagic evenigstar, +7 lajatang of Order {silver, rMut} or +5 demon whip "Spellbinder" {god gift, antimagic, MR+}. Of course I have some slaying (Slay+3 on ring with *Corr, AC+2 and Str+7) and silver javelins at min delay to complicate it even more. Why can't it be easy? :(

Silver javelins every time, at least when not in melee.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 07:59

Seconded. Silver Javelins are really good. In melee, I wonder. Eveningstar if you are using a shield, otherwise Order?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 08:09

Obviously I was asking about melee range. That character won long time ago so it's a rhetorical question now. All weapons were good enough of course.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 08:34

I'd be interested in a little fsim, but I fear the result would be a misrepresesntation. Does fsim interact with anti-magic at all? Do enemies in fsim actually use spells?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 08:43

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Does fsim interact with anti-magic at all? Do enemies in fsim actually use spells?

No to both questions. Also spellbinder makes it even more complicated as it makes target suffer from miscasts on hit.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 09:17

I've had good experiences with AM-Eveningstars, but I not many weapons will do more damage to OOF's than 'Order'. The lajatang beats the javelins of course, higher base damage, some delay, better enchantment.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 16:45

When you have a great run going, but fail to notice that the ghost camping out on Orc:1 this time has distortion. You have +6 slaying, gloves of +8 strength, good AC; you think you can take it...but it sends you to the abyss on the first hit and of course you fucking die because Abyss is brutal for a fairly low XL character.

I'm just going to play on the least populated server I can find from now on until something is done about player ghosts. It's too bad, because spectators are awesome and a few of them have become good friends of mine, but ghosts make this game *much* more annoying and unplayable than it ever should be and it's beginning to spoil my enthusiasm whenever one appears.

VeryAngryFelid

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 00:16

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I've had good experiences with AM-Eveningstars, but I not many weapons will do more damage to OOF's than 'Order'. The lajatang beats the javelins of course, higher base damage, some delay, better enchantment.

That depends on how much you train throwing. Throwing delay has been nerfed, but the damage has not, and I remember oneshotting an OOF with a silver javelin, admittedly under dith though.

Here is the morgue
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/WingedEspeo ... 055913.txt
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
4Hooves2Appendages

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 20:25

I swear, an ancient lich did some humongous damage on me by Force Lancing me back 2-3 squares into a metal wall.

I've seen wind drakes and dragons do some push damage, but this one was huge. I haven't seen so many totally devastating uses of that spell... Couldn't figure out where to get numbers on it, but it was a big dip in the bar, maybe as much as 100? I think.

Fortunately, blinked away onto the opposite side and it didn't get to try it again. :evil:
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th August 2017, 16:31

Is that normal ?
Attachments
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (304.37 KiB) Viewed 28484 times
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th August 2017, 08:28

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:
nago wrote:You're playing a TrEE^Oka just because you wanna to play a statue troll, and just after finding statue form in a shop in orc:2 oka gifts that:
  Code:
 the +10 gold dragon scales "Duat Fea" {rPois rF+ rC+ Str+6 Dex+5 Stlth-}.

Oka just saved you. Gotta have faith!

It's okay to cast statue form and wear GDA at the same time, look, see: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 034745.txt

Granted I only melded a normal GDA, not one with those stats, but hey. Honestly, even I can't remember why I did it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th August 2017, 08:39

I believe Tr of Oka cannot do it, not enough XP in 15 rune game.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 16th August 2017, 13:52

Finding:
  Code:
Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
  the +11 great mace "Okha" {vamp, Fragile rPois Str+10} (1309 gold)
Slime:5
  the +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}

on a SpEn...

For this message the author argonaut has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th August 2017, 19:44

lmao that's a great Fragile

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th August 2017, 21:03

I don't like it when I arrive on V:1 and get the message for a bazaar...

...and have 10 gp on me.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
ichbins

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 05:32

This is a scroll of acquirement!
v - an encrusted buckler
Wear which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your encrusted buckler. x4
You finish putting on the -4 buckler of Happiness {rN+ Str+2 Dex-2}.

I have no boots or cloak, and I have two shields in my inventory.

Oh, acquirement.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 10:53

Getting abyssed as soon as a deep elf demonologist comes into view on the way back up to the main dungeon.

On Orc:2. That you had just fully explored.

The game was going great and then it was just over, not as a result of some sort of mistake that I can discern, but simply because of an extremely unlikely whim of the RNG. I even had MR+ boots on. The character was barachi, so the usual tactic of running like hell from all the horribly dangerous things in Abyss at XL13 was not so effective. I did survive down there longer than expected, but in the end, the RNG again decided that no exit was to appear; the game's over and that's that and there's nothing you can really do about it. I ended up dead to a balrog, just to really drive home how completely screwed I was.

If I hadn't played well over 5000 games and obtained 54 wins over the years, this would be pretty crushing and would certainly leave a bad aftertaste. It's the sort of thing that really shouldn't happen, but very, very occasionally just does.

Oh well! There's always another game for another time.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 11:10

abyss is pretty unpredictable, so it definitely could have been lethal, but i would guess that you probably could have survived at that level. read teleport preemptively, use god abilities and consumables with abandon, worst case scenario switch to lucy etc.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 11:51

The thing about switching to Lucy is that I was with Oka; not the easiest wrath to deal with so early in the game. Most probably there was a possible solution for survival in the course of events, but to be honest I'm not particularly great at the game and I do have a tendency to get impatient and flustered in these situations. I remember I used to whine about Abyss in particular here in the Tavern quite a lot until, with advice and encouragement and a lot of funny splats, I got better at surviving it. It's always been a bit of a sore spot for me, haha. Let's just say I don't exactly love it when I get sent there.

There's also an element of randomness to Abyss that makes it all a bit speculative. Sometimes you get an exit out almost as soon as you're sent there. I'm fairly certain I have, in fact, landed with an exit on screen from the start before. I've even happened to end up only a short walk from the rune when banished. Other times, you might have to wander and/or fight for quite a while before salvation appears, and at XL13 your prospects can be pretty grim on that front.

I think autotravel shenanigans in general are pretty nasty feeling, and I still don't know the exact mechanics behind an enemy getting a move on me on the same turn that they come into view like that. Does it have anything do with barachi being slow?

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 12:11

**this advice may be the product of confirmation bias and is not supported by concrete evidence**

awhile ago the devs changed abyss exit generation so that exits spawn when you kill things: "the substance of the abyss twists violently" etc. i believe that when they did this they may have decreased the spawn rate of naturally occurring exit portals.

Blomdor wrote:I still don't know the exact mechanics behind an enemy getting a move on me on the same turn that they come into view like that. Does it have anything do with barachi being slow?

The issue is that you walked into the enemy's los. Yes, moving is more dangerous when your move speed is slow, but this could still have happened if your move speed was fast. If you are standing still when an enemy wanders into view you will (probably: there are factors at play here such as enemy randomization that i do not fully understand) get to take an action before it has a chance to cast spells/etc.
Last edited by amaril on Saturday, 19th August 2017, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 12:19

double post

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 20:13

Pearl dragon scales. On D:5. With a draconian.

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
ichbins

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 18:14

Nice shop for D:7 except I am SpEn of Dith :(

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 20:11

raise Str all game and use slings/throwing.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 20:17

Well, if I wanted to play a slinger, I'd start as Hunter or AM. The character is dead anyway. XL 12, uncannily stealthy (max) and still both Ice Dragons waked up after shadow step in Ice Cave. I had 6 scrolls of blinking but decided to die, I don't like Dith as god for En.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 08:33

amaril wrote:The issue is that you walked into the enemy's los. Yes, moving is more dangerous when your move speed is slow, but this could still have happened if your move speed was fast. If you are standing still when an enemy wanders into view you will (probably: there are factors at play here such as enemy randomization that i do not fully understand) get to take an action before it has a chance to cast spells/etc.

For fear of putting bad ideas into the public domain, this problem can be dealth with...

One can shout every few steps and then swap weapons until whatever might have heard the shout comes into view. That way the player will get the first move on anything that can banish/paralyse.

Needless to say, that isn't a tactic any sane player could follow for long. A bot on the other hand...

Even though I wouldn't advocate it for permanent play, in locations with dangerous vaults containing enemies dangerous at max range, like Elf 3, this can be entirely reasonable, or even necessary. In Orc though. Meh.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 08:36

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:One can shout every few steps and then swap weapons until whatever might have heard the shout comes into view. That way the player will get the first move on anything that can banish/paralyse.

I don't see how it is good. Do you one-shot monsters which come into view? I would prefer to have Erolcha sleeping.

Edit. Even if I am in heavy armour, I can lure Erolcha as soon as it notices me so I won't need to fight several monsters simultaneously.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 09:07

You can then step around a corner and summon some allies, or go invisible, or use Trog's Hand or something.

Except getting lucky with MR+ items or always having allies move in front (extremely tedious, but I do this sometimes), there's no other way to prevent explore banish without player chance to act.

I'm assuming you don't just stroll into the Elf:3 vault. What I'm suggesting, not seriously, is similar to the Elf vault, but it deals with events several orders of magnitude less likely to occur.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd August 2017, 22:02

Code:
 Sigmund and Grinder come into view.
 Sigmund is wielding a scythe of protection.
 Sigmund shouts! Grinder shouts!

My life sucks.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 00:44

For some reason, I cannot start a new game on Berotato. No version seems to work at the moment. : (

Anyone else having issues on that particular server?

EDIT: Thankfully, the problem seems to have been resolved.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 21:41

Blomdor wrote:For some reason, I cannot start a new game on Berotato. No version seems to work at the moment. : (

Anyone else having issues on that particular server?

EDIT: Thankfully, the problem seems to have been resolved.

berotato ran out of disk space, but johnstein was able to free some up by moving ttyrecs to shallott (the FooTV server).

For this message the author neil has received thanks: 2
Blomdor, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th August 2017, 18:09

Code:
As you read the scroll labeled ZITWUN HAOFUCU {!r}, it crumbles to dust.
This is a scroll of acquirement!
[a] Weapon [b] Armour    [c] Jewellery [d] Book
[e] Staff  [f] Evocables [g] Food      [h] Gold
B - a runed hand axe

Great, I am still using starting weapon on Lair:5 :(

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 26th August 2017, 01:26

I don't relish encountering Maurice at all; he's one of those things that has somehow outlived mountain dwarves, high elves, yellow wands, and so many other less pointless and needlessly annoying things for reasons I cannot fathom. But I especially dislike it when I am wielding a weapon of venom, and he survives long enough to teleport away (seriously, why is a creature like this still in the game?) and dies offscreen somewhere where I have previously explored.

So now I have to go hunt down the exact tile where Maurice decided to die to see if his cloak or anything else is worth looking at, or God forbid to retrieve something he's stolen. Wonderful.

For this message the author Blomdor has received thanks: 3
ichbins, nago, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th August 2017, 23:42

I roll a HaSk.
D:1- Kobold drops +1 dagger of draining. Nice!
D:1- Okawaru altar. Nice!!
D:2- Buckler, trained to remove penalty by D:3. Nice!!!
D:4- Amulet of Magic Regen! This round is gonna be great!

5 turns later...

D:4- Steps on a teleport trap.
Lands adjacent to two-headed ogre (on D freaking four).
Reads ?tele.
Miscasts Shroud of Golubria (26% fail).
Dies from full health.

...sometimes the game just hates you.
Current Victories:
3 Runes: GrEE^Ru, CeBe^Trog, SpEn^Gozag, KoAr^Dith, TeAE^Kiku, TrCK^Xom.
4 Runes: VSFi^Qaz.
5 Runes: DsGl^Oka, MiGl^Hep, GnWz^Sif.
9 Runes: DDAr^Makh.
15 Runes: HOFi^TSO->Zin, DEFE^Veh
For now...

For this message the author Vanguardan has received thanks:
Blomdor

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th August 2017, 04:25

While frantically test-quaffing your unidentified potions looking for curing or heal wounds, the last one you see before you die is experience.

There is something uniquely painful about it. Potions of experience are so vanishingly rare that they never appear at all in the majority of my won games, as far as I can recall. I generally operate as if they do not exist, and I'd even begun to wonder if they'd been removed in .20. Actually finding one instantly turns the game into something special, worth trying exceptionally hard to keep going, because you know that if you blow it you most probably won't have another chance for a hundred games or more; I don't even know the exact probabilities of finding a potion of experience on the floor in any given area, or the combined probability in a standard three rune game with every floor visited taken into account. It has to be extremely small.

So when this happens it just...it really sucks, man.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 16:45

An orc warrior, wielding a glaive and wearing a shiny chain mail, on D:2.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 17:17

Blomdor wrote:While frantically test-quaffing your unidentified potions looking for curing or heal wounds, the last one you see before you die is experience.

There is something uniquely painful about it. Potions of experience are so vanishingly rare that they never appear at all in the majority of my won games, as far as I can recall. I generally operate as if they do not exist, and I'd even begun to wonder if they'd been removed in .20. Actually finding one instantly turns the game into something special, worth trying exceptionally hard to keep going, because you know that if you blow it you most probably won't have another chance for a hundred games or more; I don't even know the exact probabilities of finding a potion of experience on the floor in any given area, or the combined probability in a standard three rune game with every floor visited taken into account. It has to be extremely small.

Potions of experience don't give very much xp. Skill experience given by a potion of experience is 250*(your new level), so if you quaffed one at XL5 that's less than a stone giant's worth of XP. XL10, still less than an orb guardian. XL27, still less than one ancient lich.

The variance in monster generation will smooth out your xp quickly enough that experience potions really only make a difference for a short period of time.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 18:11

duvessa wrote:
Blomdor wrote:While frantically test-quaffing your unidentified potions looking for curing or heal wounds, the last one you see before you die is experience.

Potions of experience don't give very much xp. Skill experience given by a potion of experience is 250*(your new level), so if you quaffed one at XL5 that's less than a stone giant's worth of XP. XL10, still less than an orb guardian. XL27, still less than one ancient lich.

The variance in monster generation will smooth out your xp quickly enough that experience potions really only make a difference for a short period of time.
Well when you find one on D:1/2 and suddenly you are 3 dungeon levels ahead in your skills is s big difference
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 21:13

Code:
The rust devil is struck by lightning.
You kill the rust devil!
Qazlal accepts your kill.
Your base Armour skill increases to level 3!
You hear a shout! x24

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Fingolfin, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 31st August 2017, 02:58

Death by firestorm spamming pan lord on the orb run. I dislike the orb run in general more and more with every game, won or lost. It is a trial by RNG at the very last five minutes of the game. Most of the time, it's less trouble than Zot:5. Sometimes, you are opposed by almost absolutely nothing more than a few minor demons and other popcorn. If you're very, very unlucky, however, you will find the most ungodly annoying and dangerous pan lords and major fiends on every last floor, and if you're really miserably unlucky you'll find one that can kill your seemingly invincible, omniresistant, Arga-wielding, slaying-decked monster of a character in a few turns by spamming level 9 spells. Three pips of fire resistance and ludicrous defenses will not save you, because that's how it rolls and too bad for you.

It is really quite infuriating. The next character I get to the same point will quite possibly face *nothing* on the way up. Nothing at all. The RNG shall decree that only quokkas will be sent to bar your escape. It's just some kind of bizarre, randomly determined ritual that every character is forced to face, blessing some and tormenting others without rhyme or reason. It feels god-awful. You get the orb, you make it most of the way out even, but through sheer randomly determined nonsense you just die and "lose" while the next guy who does the exact same thing, the exact same build, the exact same tactics will walk out without any resistance at all, and "win".

Food, ghosts, and the orb run. Three things that prevent Crawl from reaching perfection, IMO.

For this message the author Blomdor has received thanks: 3
Shard1697, tankra, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 4th September 2017, 22:49

When you lose a character because the RNG decided that three pips of instadeath resistance was not enough, by which I mean MR because that's essentially what MR is in some cases. In this case I was petrified by an ancient lich on V:5, but it could have been paralysis too.

And your MR rings are extremely boring; just basic ones and one that gives +4 int, whoop-de-doo. You have other rings that do much more interesting things like boost your strength, give you better elemental resistances, give more AC, whatever the case may be, but you are screwed over because three pips just wasn't enough instadeath resistance that day. It usually is, but not today. How dare you wear things that let you kill things faster instead of those MR rings, you fool.

Really makes me realize how freeing an MR++ item can be.

ThreeInvisibleDucks
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner