Thank you!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 16:34

Re: Thank you!

Ontoclasm is the author of those tiles, and the new Labyrinth tiles, and tiles of the missing runes. Hip Hip Hurray!
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

For this message the author dolphin has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2011, 18:16

thenewflesh wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone who worked on the new (as of 0.10) tiles for Labyrinth. They look pretty neat.

Same here, they look amazing, great job.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2011, 23:30

I love the pixel graphics that people keep adding. I just have one small note on one of those runes... it kinda looks like a giant wang made of bone with a blood smear on it. you'll know the one when you see it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2011, 23:34

Big thanks to whomever did the new Snake walls and floors. The old ones were really garish. Please fix Shoals next.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, TehDruid

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 20:32

Yarp. Snake, Labyrinth and Crypt are now all much easier on the eye. Nice job!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 06:30

Not since XCOM has a turn based game induced so much tension, exhilaration and excitement in me. Simply amazing.

For this message the author runequester has received thanks:
Pteriforever

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 20th January 2012, 15:15

Dungeon Crawl Webtiles is the best online game, in my opinion.
Firstly, everybody plays for himself and does not engage the other players in combat directly (only in ghosts and records).
And if you spectate somebody, you are inclined to help him -- and are rewarded with nice show!
And since this game is turn-based, there is no need to rush: and so everyone, including the player, can engage in lengthy conversations that I especially like in the browser online games I know. =)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 21st January 2012, 18:39

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:And since this game is turn-based, there is no need to rush: and so everyone, including the player, can engage in lengthy conversations that I especially like in the browser online games I know. =)

You may then want to join the ##crawl IRC channel on Freenode. There you can "engage in lengthy conversation" as you like, directly access the knowledge bots and various stats, and generally have more Crawl fun.
For instance, I would probably never get my first SpVM all-runer without great advice from the chat denizens :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 4th February 2012, 16:47

Not sure where else I would post this, so I would also like to thank the devs for doing an amazing job. Crawl is the best game I've ever played, and the first game in years that's really raised the bar for me. It's one of the few games that I've beaten and have no intention of quitting.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 7th March 2012, 17:34

I'll chime in and say thanks to the devs. I've really had quite a bit of fun so far. I've played probably close to two hundred games over the last 6 months. My best character was a DD Necromancer (easy-button) who got the Snake rune and made it down to level 21, but died on Shoals:5 at XL 16.

I've been playing roguelikes since the early '90s. I cut my teeth on Moria, which I beat several times. I played Nethack for a while, learning many of the tricks and almost beating it several times. I beat ADOM (which is still my favorite RL so far). I spent a long time with DF, but only in fortress mode, because the adventurer mode didn't really do much for me. I've tried a number of other RLs, but none held my attention.

Stone Soup is a great game, and the amount of work and dedication that's been put into it shows. Thanks to all the developers for keeping it going.

For this message the author schmoe has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 00:59

Every time commercial games lose their appeal, I come back to dcss. I see and try things I've never thought of before, and have a blast. Thanks devs and contributors!
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th March 2012, 22:43

Hek yah, I recently got back in with an old gaming group from back in the day and slowly trying to introduce DCSS to the people I think will like it. Thanks for the awesome game!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 19:23

Ah, this is where newbies come to gather eh?

The first roguelike I encountered that I didn't write off immediately (I'm only 25, the first time I saw Rogue I was like 14 and uninterested) was ADOM. Since then, I've at least attempted a few different roguelikes. My favorite, if you consider it a roguelike, was Gearhead Arena for quite a while. I also was fooling around a bit with DCSS, back at the .5 mark or so, just watching the updates.

I try everything at least once, that is an attitude both in what games I play and how i play them, so I was, and still am a SLASH'EM fan. I do like how I can still sometimes learn something new in that game, and some of the effects of things are amusing at times (not to imply that DCSS would benefit from a 'hallucinating' status, or anything). I find though, that I also keep coming back here. I've never won, and in fact, only rarely even get much further than Lair and Orc, but part of that has to do with the fact that I'm more inclined to try interesting (to me) class combinations than the ones that are built to work. My furthest and most memorable characters were a MuCK that got an early 2 summon from Xom which ate everything in the Lair and Orc for me, and then me, when Xom, ever amused, made me explode, and it turned on me on Elf1. My other deeper delver was just past D15, when he got Abyssed, and suffered the wrath of Vehumet when converting to Lugonu to escape.

All in all, it's been fun. This week's combo for me has been the OgIE of TSO. I'm attempting to get good enough at the ice-armour spell that the Og's low AC isn't a problem. I figure, if i live long enough, that along with TSO shielding will make me pretty tough to kill. Next week, I want to see how horribad a Spriggan of Chei is (can they worship Chei?)
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 23:18

IronJelly wrote:All in all, it's been fun. This week's combo for me has been the OgIE of TSO. I'm attempting to get good enough at the ice-armour spell that the Og's low AC isn't a problem. I figure, if i live long enough, that along with TSO shielding will make me pretty tough to kill. Next week, I want to see how horribad a Spriggan of Chei is (can they worship Chei?)

Yes

But of course, if you want to get past lair, you should try an easier built. ;)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2012, 22:20

As a vault maker, thank you a thousand times for the recent update to the vault syntax file which clarifies a ton of formerly confusing crap.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 01:29

I want to say thanks too. If there was ever a "desert island" game then DCSS would be one. I love the complexity and richness of RLs but the other ones I've tried are just not fun to play (I love watching Let's Plays of roguelikes though). I really love the tiles too, the graphics are more pleasing to me than most of the big budget 3d crap.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th July 2012, 14:33

Thanks for the in-game auto-pickup menu.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 19th July 2012, 11:16

I have to say a big thank you as well. You people who selflessly work to make free, good video games for us to enjoy are amazing people. I have had crawl on my computer for years, but for some reason I never really tried it. Then, after the horror that was Skyrim, I desperately searched for a decent game and ended up a Crawl addict.

For this message the author Ninjorp has received thanks:
Grimm

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 26th July 2012, 16:58

I just went through this sweet vault. It looks like it might be meant for spider given the shape, but it was great just dropped in to d:25. It made me think that vaults with all the exit stairs locked up in them would be great for any 2nd to last level of a branch. Anyway I just wanted to thank the maker of this vault and everyone else who contributes to keep this game so fresh.

Spider D25 Exit stairs vault.png
Spider D25 Exit stairs vault.png (298.24 KiB) Viewed 65712 times

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 18:09

Hello DCSS lovers
Fairly new player here (started just at the end of 0.8 sometime around Okt-Dec 2011). I´m ussally not into Roguelikes, more of a Diablo 2/Din´s Curse kinda player, but as an ole (A)D&D player this game has everything I want – and it plays more like a hybrid Roguelike/ARPG.
Just wanted to say thank you to anyone involved in making this game what it is today. As everybody else I love the new version of the Swamps (yay for curse less bog mummies), but I´d like to say a special thank you to whoever came up with and worked on Polearms in 0.10´s+. From my perspective, as one who favors melee/ranged toons, this for me is one of the best additions of late to the game. Keep on evolving the game (and melees in particular ;)).
Thank you!
Last edited by graffen69 on Monday, 4th March 2013, 13:52, edited 3 times in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 09:35

Thanks for updating the altar tiles in trunk! I stumbled upon Nemelex's on D:1 and saw a garish slot machine and wondered what the hell it was. They're definitely more pretty than they used to be.
"You draw a card... It is the Bones."

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 23:34

Hello everyone! Bit of a lurker here who decided to pop in.

Also, what's with the current development version being 0.12 on Mantis?
The abyss isn't a toilet...
Confidence Interval wrote:Though if you find yourself there you may well conclude that you have been emmerded, to misuse a French term.

The sheep explode! Xom roars with laughter!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 23:43

0.11 is probably nearing release, so the development branch is now developing the version after that.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 08:24

Hi there.

Just a hearthily Thank you from a new "old" RpG Player, now nearing mid-thirties and being so happy of having found all the stuff of its childhood.. Warriors, mages, dungeons and god's wrath make me feel like i'm back in early 80's around a table with my friends rolling dices!!!

Beyond that, the amazing balance and variety of adventurers playable is pure jewel!!
:shock: :D

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 1st September 2012, 16:21

Hi there :)

I feel like a real newb even though I started at 0.6 and ascended twice (MuWz and MiFi). I still die to Sigmund time to time though (as a matter of fact, I just did). I have yet to go deeper in hell than vestibule and see what the spider nest looks like.

One of my hobbies is game design and crawl did teach me a lot. Very good work from all the contributors.

Keep up the good work!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st September 2012, 16:46

I guess I'll just join the many voices here who express their gratitude. My first RL was DoomRL, and I never expected to get into Crawl - I got it by googling "roguelikes" or "best roguelike" or something like that and decided to give it a try. Definitely one of my favorite games ever, thanks to all who contributed to it.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 4th September 2012, 16:07

Thanks for a great game! I started in Moria then played some NetHack and now I play this. Is it worth upgrading from .8? As far as I can tell the Wiki is still mostly .8 info and I need that to make it as far as I have, which is not very deep. Or I guess it would be considered mid game (cleared Hive, Orcs, Liar, and Snakes) but not much else and only a few times. My "average" game usually ends around the Orcs.

I also wanted to put a shout out to Dwarf Fort here. A really magical game that sucked me in for awhile. The only problem is that when I have wanted to play it again it was so hard to remember the commands and controls. An earlier post compared it to "playing the piano" which I would have to agree with.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th September 2012, 21:33

Triage wrote:Thanks for a great game! I started in Moria then played some NetHack and now I play this. Is it worth upgrading from .8? As far as I can tell the Wiki is still mostly .8 info and I need that to make it as far as I have, which is not very deep. Or I guess it would be considered mid game (cleared Hive, Orcs, Liar, and Snakes) but not much else and only a few times. My "average" game usually ends around the Orcs.

I found crawl unplayable before 0.9 (tried a few versions, not entirely sure which ones) due to the skill system. I'd strongly recommend upgrading. There will probably be some changes you don't like, but hopefully not too many!

The wiki should be "mostly" up to 0.10, for loose definitions of "mostly". Use the knowledge bots for details instead, via http://crawl.develz.org/info/.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 13th November 2012, 06:25

Crawl DevTeam are my heros!!!
Never considered RL's until I became fed up with the state of affairs in the video game world. Now I can't stop crawling!! There are some side-effects to a crawl habit that are not so great though... like stealing all my free time (so long other hobbies), real physical anxiety symptoms while playing in tense situations (sometimes I have to step back and smoke a cigarette while I wait for the palm sweats and fast heart rate to go away), and no one gets my jokes anymore, as they are all crawl related... so basically, no social life anymore :(
But, I am eternally greatful for the work that you guys put in. Truly amazing!!

For this message the author Xoai has received thanks:
ZoFy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th November 2012, 06:32

Please bring all your Crawl-related jokes here to Crazy Yiuf's Corner. We understand™.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 20th November 2012, 21:19

I'd like to thank the folks who conceived of Fedhas Madash, and the person who coded that god. I've recently had a CeHu victory where I spammed a Wandering Mushroom army all game, and now I'm playing a MfGl who rarely uses Mushrooms but casts Rain frequently around staircases and plants lonely Oklobs near my water on any level where I see something OOD. I love that the god is (IMO) completely non-obvious, still tremendously powerful, and allows for such a variety of play. Great work!

----

I also splatted a couple of characters on trunk (0.12-xyz as of this writing) and there are so many new tiles, and they're all great! I've also browsed through a few pages of the massive (and frequent) commits and say to every one of them, "Bravo!" The dev team is constantly solving tiny problems that I didn't even know Crawl had, and the pace of improvement for an already great game is astonishing.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd November 2012, 01:37

I must say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this great game. I have more hours logged in crawl than in any other game but one, commercial or noncommercial. It's so satisfying at all points, from battling through hordes of mummies on tomb 3, to when I first feel truly powerful, in early vaults, to dieing in combat with a worthy opponent and seeing my name up on the scoreboard and the message "Goodbye". That message is one of the main reasons I like crawl. Seeing that message, and thinking of everything that that adventurer did, makes me happy. Thank you.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks:
snowstorm

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th December 2012, 11:06

Thought I should pop into this thread and say thanks to whoever made Vaults awesome. I love Trunk. Seriously though, are there new Vaults vaults or something? I am only on V2 and already its already been more interesting than all my previous visits to vaults put together, plus I am still alive.

Thanks devs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th December 2012, 16:27

Thank you, elliptic, for finally making monsters check player stealth after losing sight of you instead of Stealth skill.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th December 2012, 21:21

BlackSheep wrote:Thank you, elliptic, for finally making monsters check player stealth after losing sight of you instead of Stealth skill.

Does that mean that things stealth++ and elven cloaks are boots are finally a little bit more useful?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th December 2012, 21:26

Just a little bit, yes.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 19th December 2012, 17:14

Well I for one curse this game. Frequently. Such that people are asking me if I am playing that game I hate again. I will defeat it one day and I will then dance on the many corpses of incarnations past.

(but thank you anyway for making the game. Which I hate. Really.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th December 2012, 18:19

That is the hate called love. Crawl love. Welcome to the club.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 27th December 2012, 14:52

I like the new Lovecraft-style Abyss monsters, both for their flavor and their unique new mechanics, even if a starcursed mass just murdered a promising character who got banished... :(

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 27th December 2012, 19:33

Thanks for making the most awesome game out there. It's the perfect balance of depth with ease of use.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 5th January 2013, 16:02

I'm new here too... (^o^)
Not too good at this either, hasn't won even one single game yet....(*_*)

Nice to meet every one here as well, hope we can share our stupiddies with out yummy Stone Soup.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 30th January 2013, 15:52

I was looking through the tiles in the data folder within my dungeon crawl folder and just ran into the tile for octopode lich form, which just made me go :lol:. I didn't know there were variants for tiles for each special cased race (although I don't see a tile for Felid Lich Form, but maybe I'm just missing it), thanks to whoever made them, even though I've never cast lich form once in my hundreds of games of Crawl and I doubt I'll manage it soon. :)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2013, 09:13

IMO in terms of controls, appearance, and depth, this game is nicer than nethack, but in most ways, it is way, way, way more cruel - player ghosts being able to cause physical damage and cast spells, smiting, *food sickness*, difficulty of gaining intrinsics, and hellfire are all examples of how crawl is harder than nethack. To be honest, sometimes I hate this game, although I keep coming back, so I must like it, too. without save-scumming, I have only ever cleared the orcish mines and the lair. With save-scumming, I have managed to get a serpentine rune, but not much else. I have no idea how anyone wins this game, let alone gets all the way to Zot or clears the shoals. I usually play a deep elf wizard, since I liked playing a wizard in nethack, although troll berserker is fun, too, for a bit.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd February 2013, 10:03

zoof wrote:IMO in terms of controls, appearance, and depth, this game is nicer than nethack, but in most ways, it is way, way, way more cruel - player ghosts being able to cause physical damage and cast spells, smiting, *food sickness*, difficulty of gaining intrinsics, and hellfire are all examples of how crawl is harder than nethack. To be honest, sometimes I hate this game, although I keep coming back, so I must like it, too. without save-scumming, I have only ever cleared the orcish mines and the lair. With save-scumming, I have managed to get a serpentine rune, but not much else. I have no idea how anyone wins this game, let alone gets all the way to Zot or clears the shoals. I usually play a deep elf wizard, since I liked playing a wizard in nethack, although troll berserker is fun, too, for a bit.

I ascended four times in Nethack (wizard, priest, knight, samurai) before finding crawl, and by that time it was getting boring. My take on the difference is that Nethack is broken in several ways. Optimal play is invariably grindy: two of my wins, I farmed brown puddings for a while. Boring, but gets you 4-5 artifacts and 4-5 experience levels for zero risk. I know people did insane things with black pudding farming too, but that's dangerous. You can, risk free, get all the experience, etc. you need with a brown pudding. The correct (optimal) answer when you see anything vaguely threatening, short of the endgame, is to engrave Elbereth. And so on, and so on. There is no real balance. Note that several forks of it (which I discovered before crawl) go a ways towards fixing it. Unnethack, etc (not slash'Em, which is Nethack's logical successor.)

Crawl has a ton of attention payed to balance, which tends to limit gamebreaking things. Which gives it much more replay value, and makes it require a lot more reliability and caution on the part of the player.

So far as helping you ascend crawl, here's my advice (with the disclaimer that I've only ascended thrice, with one 15-runer... I'm not that good, and tend to make mistakes.)

DEWi is a good class to start with if you like wizards. Consider DEFE as an alternative for when bored.

Religion:
You should probably go Vehumet for the god, for simplicity. If you want to try something else, do Ashenzari, not Sif. Sif is good for wizards, but mostly later in the game.

Skilling:
Your first goal is to get Magic dart to 5 hashes spell power, for maximum damage. A Deep elf wizard should start leveling ONLY Conjurations.

You'll be level 3-4 when this happens, and should have as many level two spells as you can memorized at that point. I'd do this order (though this varies radically on play style): Call Imp, Blink, Repel Missiles, Slow, with your primary backup an imp swarm (to retreat through, or to kill you enemies with.) Another reasonable order would be Slow, Blink, Call Imp, Repel Missiles, which would focus on Slowing the monster, and then kiting it with Magic dart, with Blink as an emergency if you get trapped.

Your second goal is to get your level two spells memorized, and castable. Train Spellcasting til you can memorize them, then train other skills as necessary to get them down to <15% failure. I'd probably train blink down to 10% or lower, but that's style.

Your third goal is Mephitc cloud and Conjure flame memorized, and then castable. Train Spellcasting til you can memorize them, then train either Poison+Air for Mephitic, or Fire for conjure flame. Your goal is <12% fail rates. You can do these in either order; I think I'd prefer Conjure Flame, but it's close.

It is possible to clear the Lair with just those spells, but quite difficult. They'll get you to your first Vehumet book though, which is good enough. (Vehumet is even better for wizards in trunk, giving gifts earlier. But I'm assuming you're playing 0.11.)

Tactics for early game monsters:
Orc/killer bee packs:
STOP as soon as you see a single orc/bee. If he's noticed you, run away 15-30 squares if possible, and then kill him. Repeat as carefully as possible. If he's not awake, wake him up with MD, and do the same. If he's not at LOS-limit, try to duck around a corner. Under almost no circumstances should you try to kill it in place. You don't have the damage output for that. You need the terrain on your side.

Centaurs:
Hopefully you have Mephitic cloud. These guys are the primary reason you need that spell, as it stops them from killing you. If not, imp swarms tend to be quite effective, and conjure flame can keep them from following you when you flee. Consider skipping D:3 if you meet centaurs, until you get Mephitic online. Always consider using consumables on them. A scroll of fear will save your bacon.

Undead:
Will walk through conjure flame. Repeatedly lay it in front of them, and watch them die.

Ogres:
Will walk through conjure flame. Repeatedly lay it in front of them, and watch them die. If one gets next to you with ANY hitpoints left, don't try to kill it. Blink!

Uniques:
If Mephitic cloudable (Sigmund, Edmond, Jessica, Pikel, Duvessa and Dowan, etc.) wait till you have it castable. If they'll walk through conjure flame, you can do that too. If Grinder or Menkaure, flee. Skip the level till you have some foolproof way of dealing with them.

Anything else:
Treat them like orcs. Yes, they don't come in packs, so there probably aren't other monsters just behind them. But if you draw them into a cleared area, you KNOW there aren't monsters behind them. All monsters should be drawn at least half your LOS before killing them if you aren't confidant in a 1-2 hit kill (bats, rats, etc.)

IDing:
Read-ID all scrolls at the end of each early dungeon level. At the end, so it's clear and noise won't kill you, and every level, because it's easy to build the habit. Use all identify scrolls on potions until at least healing, heal wounds, and 2-3 good buffs are IDed. Then try to balance between jewellery and potions. Don't quaff-ID potions. Don't drink mutation.

Branches:
Do Lair, Orc, Vaults 1-7, then start with your rune branches. Rune branches immediately after Orc are generally suicidal.

I know I'm probably missing some things, and may be wrong on others, but this is what I do to get past the early game. Hope it helps!
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Halls Hopper

Location: Inside the Lernaean Hydra's stomach (Thank god for this Amulet of rCorr)

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 01:54

Yay, newbie thread! :D

I've been playing dungeon crawl ever since...well, i think since Jeph Jaques mentioned it in the webcomic Questionable Content. Not sure exactly when that was, but i think it was sometime around my freshman year of college, so...two years or so? I've played it on and off, but never grabbed the orb.

One thing i love about the game, though: I feel like i'm learning something. Maybe it's not a strict level-up in skill every time i die, but after i play a few ways with one species/background combo, i'll notice some flaw or weakness in the way i'm playing, or some limitation in my strategy. Even if i put the SB combo down and try something else (or even take a break from crawl for a while), the next time i come back and try that strategy, i remember what i did wrong. I've been getting farther and farther, now - back in my first days of the game (which was my first days playing any roguelike, really), i didn't even know the Lair existed - i kept dying before i ever reached it. These days, i'll die before the mines some times - but i'm just as likely to clear out the lair and the mines, and be gunning for one of the runes before i invariably kick the bucket. Hell, once i even killed Geryon and made it into Dis before my hard drive fried and i lost all of my data. Rats.

Anecdotes aside, i'm not sure how i can compare this to other roguelikes - like i said, it's the first one i've ever tried. but it's definitely something new from all the other computer games out there. Crawl feels hard to me, but also exceedingly - almost insufferably - fair. It WANTS me to beat it, eventually, but it's not going to hold my hand and it's not going to give me any hints. It's so ungodly refreshing, the way it hits that sweet spot between "not satisfying enough to beat" and "you aren't worthy to play this game, mortal" - and it's why no matter how many times i walk away from the keyboard, i'll keep coming back until i've nailed this thing for good. I've heard Dark Souls is kind of like this, but i dunno - i've had more fun with DCSS, so far.

To everyone who worked on the game: i know lots of other people on this thread said it before me, but thank you. I've had a blast with this game - playing it, talking about it, and really burying myself in the wiki and the community. I intend to keep playing for quite a while. Who knows? i may even grab the Orb someday.
Cheers, luv! The CeFi's here!

Wins: MiFi of Qaz (6 runes)

Cab

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 7th March 2013, 12:41

Thanks to all Crawl devs for making me waste sooooo much time--while having fun! Also thanks to all vault-makers for making the game more interesting, and to the tile-makers for making the game much more accessible for those who can tell graphical things apart.

Here's the story of my crawl experience, and the power of the mind!

I've played Crawl on and off since the original Dungeon Crawl 3.x, so that's about 14 or so years. I'd really like to see the "Hours Played" stat :)
In the old days I didn't know what I was doing, but it was still a lot of fun. Crawl didn't tell you much about how you were supposed to play. I got to the temple a few times, then later managed to enter the Orcish Mines (Something smites you! You die...).

Fast forward to recent years where I started to care more about which buttons to push when, and I got to the Lair. I had no clue how to train skills--in fact I tended to focus on completely the wrong things in the beginning (why focus on a single weapon skill when I can focus on fighting!?)
These days the game is much better at telling you things. Also, the forums and wiki happened, so I read up on things and got to experience the Shoals and the Vaults. Still I hadn't managed to get further--and I knew why: I didn't care that much, I had fun. I didn't run from dangerous enemies; I died, and it was fun. I didn't stop to carefully consider where to go; I went to whatever place appeared first (usually Orcish SomethingSmitesYou Mines), and it was fun.

A couple of weeks ago I thought to myself, "now it's time to see more than the Vaults and play some really serious games", and during the next few days I got my first rune--actually four of them, and died with the orb in my hands, and it still was fun.

Still is.

For this message the author Cab has received thanks:
Grimm

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 7th March 2013, 15:22

You devs are the bomb! Crawl has given me entertainment, challenges, and stories to write about. Thanks to everyone who helped developed this :mrgreen:!!

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 17th March 2013, 18:07

Thanks to the people behind the new vault guardians tiles. They're awesome.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 18:50

Thank you for making a more forgiving roguelike.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 25th March 2013, 00:11

Thank you for a game that has an amazing variety of species and backgrounds, infinite addictive replay and hysterical dialogue ("Your troll says 'Watch Out!' ") . I love that this game rewards careful tactics and mental flexibility.
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner