Formerly: Much More Sane And Normal Discussions In English

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 18:36

Re: Much More Normal And Sane Discussions In English

And are not supplied mood-changing drugs. And do not have jackobots. And do not sing loyalty songs.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 19:27

In Soviet Russia, loyalty songs sing YOU!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 06:38

No, luckily.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 08:49

MyO, were you actually alive during the period of the Soviet Union or were you born subsequent to its end?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 08:52

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 08:58

New Crawl Bingo square proposal: Despite the fact that the Tavern has had in excess of 100,000 posts, Grimm chastises forum poster for posting something on a topic that has previously been mentioned.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 09:11

How does it feel to be hoist by your own petard?

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 09:15

Pretty sexy. You should do it more often.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 09:18

I'm not petarded.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 09:39

You're telling me you never hoist your own? I thought everyone did that.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 16:39

Guys, guys... Please, this is not the Yuif's Corner.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 18:48

Hell, I was about to move that this thread be shifted to CYC. That's the only place one can hear any sense around here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 23:57

Let's put it to a vote.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 08:16

Alternatively, we could hold a referendum on independence!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 08:48

There isn't anything normal or sane about this thread. To CYC.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 08:50

Erm... Guys, to be frankly, I created this topic to avoid precisely this kind of ping-pong discussion between you two and speak to you normally. I was truly surprised and amazed to see you help me with Tak' It Man Tak' It and find that you also like Paranoia RPG. However, seeing you engaging into the similar exchange of puns as you do in the Yuif's Corner is a bit off the topic here, and degrades this forum thread, which aim is to avoid precisely this Yufish style of flood, to dirt.
I do not want to swear, but sometimes you make me want to.

Edit: [removed]
Last edited by MyOtheHedgeFox on Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 09:38

Re: =null title=

My work here is done.

For this message the author Confidence Interval has received thanks:
Grimm

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 09:55

ha~ ha~

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 11:02

I am really disappointed. I don't even know why you would logically or illogically do this for a minute's pleasure.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 11:39

Honestly, this thread had nothing to do in the stranger's corner. It's not about crawl so its place is in CYC. And I'm not moderating a discussion which isn't about crawl. If you want to have a more serious discussion, you'll have to try to keep it on rails yourself. I'm sure people will be happy to take their crap elsewhere if you ask nicely.

Did you remove the thread title on purpose?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 12:00

I presumed you had removed the title, Galehar. I also note that the thread still appears in Strangers' Corner but if you click on it you end up in the "=null title=" thread in CYC.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 13:41

Confidence Interval wrote:I also note that the thread still appears in Strangers' Corner but if you click on it you end up in the "=null title=" thread in CYC.

The "leave shadow topic" option was left chosen. I've corrected that. You may now continue to push up MOHF's blood pressure.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 13:44

New moderator spell proposal: Shadow Topics.

This spell weaves a topic from shadows and threads of ethereal matter. The topic thus brought into existence will recreate some type of topic found in the moderator's immediate vicinity. The spell even creates appropriate posters for the thread, which are given a lasting substance by their firm contact with reality.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 14:54

galehar wrote:Honestly, this thread had nothing to do in the stranger's corner. It's not about crawl so its place is in CYC. And I'm not moderating a discussion which isn't about crawl. If you want to have a more serious discussion, you'll have to try to keep it on rails yourself. I'm sure people will be happy to take their crap elsewhere if you ask nicely.

Did you remove the thread title on purpose?

Well, it did have Scottish dialect linked in it. Doesn't that count?

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 14:57

I think it was removed because it had a word "sane" in it, or something like that.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 15:09

galehar wrote:Honestly, this thread had nothing to do in the stranger's corner. It's not about crawl so its place is in CYC. And I'm not moderating a discussion which isn't about crawl. If you want to have a more serious discussion, you'll have to try to keep it on rails yourself. I'm sure people will be happy to take their crap elsewhere if you ask nicely.

Well, to be honest, Galehar, trying to create such a forum topic in Yuif's Corner means dooming it to become another platzdarm for Grimm-ConfInt Conglomerate.
I did ask Grimm and ConfInt to try and be more serious in certain topics -- to almost no avail. At least this topic held for a certain period of time -- and, despite my overly aggressive outburst, I am, after all, glad that it held even shortly.

galehar wrote:Did you remove the thread title on purpose?

Yes, I did, due to the aforementioned aggressive outburst. Now that I'm much more calm than a few hours before, I must confess that while I am still disappointed about Grimm and ConfInt's actions, I understand that bickering about a simple fact that somebody just did not choose to forget about their usual behaviour in a certain area (and I am talking about the behaviour of both Grimm-ConfInt and myself) is neither healthy nor honorable.

And, honestly, raging about it is not going to help anyone and only attract more negative attention. I am, indeed, quite sad to say that in this forum, there is no forum branch for relatively serious off-topic discussions (Yuif's Corner is just a "LETS FREAKING FLOOD EVERYTHING" branch, and you cannot discuss, for example, your movie or board game preferences well), and, because of that I am, unfortunately, not feeling as attached to this community as when my thank count finally overcame Pratmawirya's.

To rephrase my wording a few posts earlier (which I will delete after publishing this post):
I was really glad to finally discuss some really interesting notions with people who I usually see posting messages that I, unfortunately, consider to be repeatative and senseless,
and I felt really, really sad and embarrassed to see them back in their "usual" behaviour,
which was amplified many times because I've seen that they can be reasonable and very interesting people -- and have no wish to be like this.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 16:05

Re: Formerly: Much More Sane And Normal Discussions In Engli

Part of the problem, and this happens with many forum topics, is that the topic is too broad which leads to people riffing on the theme without too much focus on the desired discussion.

If you want to talk about board games and started a topic like "Board game discussion [serious discussion please]" Even in CYC, You'd probably get most posters staying relatively on-topic, although some people can't resist and post puns and off-topic nonsense, you'd at least get a *mostly* serious discussion on the topic presented.

The problem with a topic like "Much More Sane And Normal Discussions In English" is that there's no subject matter to be discussed outlined in the topic, one would read that topic title and be like "So I should talk about anything I want to, in english, and not be insane? Ok, i can pretty much post anything I want to then!" And since particularly with long forum discussions many posters post before they read (or maybe read the last post or two in a long ongoing discussion) when they feel unconstricted by the topic, they'll simply post whatever pops into their head after looking at the last post or two, which is often not on-topic, and often silly and irrelevant. That's compounded by frequent posters who are just poking at the forums for something to do, they'll feed off each-other, and with no constraints, a serious discussion can rapidly downgrade into a slurry of puns, off-topic jokes, and youtube links.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 18:02

Re: Formerly: Much More Sane And Normal Discussions In Engli

This topic was originally created for the Strangers' Corner, and thus the topic was named this way to marginally squeeze it into subforum regulations.

Your suggestions are reasonable, however: I should have tried it earlier instead of creating a general non-Yuifese topic.
I did, however, have a fairly unpleasant experience with this approach: an attempt to play a favorite forum game of mine (Let's Make a Story) ended up ping-ponged by the duo despite my attempts to make them follow the game. They got tired of playing it and decided to get its core dumped, I guess.

Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner