Unfun Vaults

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 22:58

Re: Unfun Vaults

Wear sustab, bring restab. And most importantly, wear clarity. It certainly doesn't seem all that interesting to me, but that's because it basically trades a stash trip for loot (if you actually found the necessary items).

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 17:58

I find the ice vaults frustrating, not because they are bad, but because they seem awfully tough for the level I find them at. I can rarely complete them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 21:50

minmay wrote:the sewer entry vault with a hidden door

There's an ossuary like this too, with stone walls that you'd never know was a vault unless you'd already been spoiled.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 09:50

Grimm wrote:
minmay wrote:the sewer entry vault with a hidden door

There's an ossuary like this too, with stone walls that you'd never know was a vault unless you'd already been spoiled.

I've always been digging through its crust.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 15:06

Grimm wrote:So it's a "spellcasters only" vault. Unfun for melee players.

I don't think the statues can see invisible, so a fairly stealthy character with a source of invisibility can usually pick up the items without the statue noticing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 02:08

jejorda2 encountered a dozen orcs on D:1. That seems wrong to me. Would some designers weigh in?

jejorda2 wrote:It's this game:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/jejor ... 002950.txt

Apparently it's a vault called "erik entry cave to civilisation."

I can get the replay on footv with:
  Code:
!lg jejorda2 killer=orc char=GhAK place=D:1 -tv

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 05:36

Grimm wrote:jejorda2 encountered a dozen orcs on D:1. That seems wrong to me. Would some designers weigh in?

jejorda2 wrote:It's this game:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/jejor ... 002950.txt

Apparently it's a vault called "erik entry cave to civilisation."

I can get the replay on footv with:
  Code:
!lg jejorda2 killer=orc char=GhAK place=D:1 -tv

Part of an entry vault which places a bunch of tough monsters on d:1. The catch is that they're normally safe from you.

By being an abyss knight you can skip entry vaults and enter hard areas like that, and this can lead to fun results....

Possibly worth fixing, but part of the problem here is abyss knights, not just vaults.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
Grimm

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 06:16

If you've been to the Hive, just replace the rations you carry by royal jellies. Unless, of course, you're playing trunk.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2011, 23:38

I'm going to say most of the Trog vaults. His vaults are so irritating that he should probably be the god of obnoxiousness.

First, there's the burning book one. I'm always like "YAY! A BOOK!" and then it always gets snatched out from under my nose ;(

Then there's the one with the rats and worms and the moth of wrath. It's usually really easy, except the moth of wrath always breaks my autoexplore and autopickup.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2011, 23:49

I've seen a couple hairy devils pop up on some of the early levels and they pretty much slay me or make me flee the level. Haven't even seen the vault where they come from yet.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2012, 21:06

Is it ever worth going into crumbling portals? Generally when I go in I can get some poor treasure, but often all I get is YASD.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 04:25

A few aren't even really worth entering, though. I don't think I've ever had spiders nest appear at a time I could handle it, and I'm going to guess that whole getting surrounded by tiny spiders can happen even at entrance.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 05:16

There's a spider nest with a lot of water in it that you can do when it appears without rPois if you are careful about standing on land. Unfortunately the loot is crap.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 15:50

Yet Another Stupid Noob wrote:Is it ever worth going into crumbling portals? Generally when I go in I can get some poor treasure, but often all I get is YASD.

I am still bitter about ghost moths.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 5th January 2012, 16:15

Grimm wrote:There's a spider nest with a lot of water in it that you can do when it appears without rPois if you are careful about standing on land. Unfortunately the loot is crap.

I just did this exact vault a few days ago without rPois, but with ignite poison which trivialized the whole vault. There was no loot to even get to in it, not sure if there was any past the deep water since I had no lev and wasn't a Mf.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 07:09

I'm going to mention those horrible vaults where there's a Veh altar surrounded by trees.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 16:19

Pteriforever wrote:I'm going to mention those horrible vaults where there's a Veh altar surrounded by trees.

Those are no worse than the ones surrounded by lava. You either need a specific spell or item on hand to get to the altar. It's thematic in that you have to start a forest fire before you can worship him. I love stuff like that.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th May 2012, 08:13

Thematic, sure, but it's bloody irritating, and Veh's one of the race-to-6* gods, so if you can't reach it immediately then you're going to run into a brick wall two hours down the road.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th May 2012, 09:10

(or you could just be flexible and pick another god)

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 5th May 2012, 16:55

I don't know if branches' end can count as vault, but for me one of the most irritating thing present in DCSS is the shopping centre ending for the Vaults (no object on the ground, only some gold and shops are generated)
Every time, I've got only 4-6 shops selling the finest crap possible. Heck, vault:8 isn't *so* hard, but it can still be a bit challenging, so I appreciates rewards, in the form of shiny objects! I don't need shop selling totally overpriced dragon armours of useless food!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
XuaXua

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 14:10

I don't know if anyone has said this before, but I cannot STAND the undead ending to the swamp. I got it as a DEFE one run... I used all my scrolls of blinking to get past the miasma, then read a scroll of teleport so that I could teleport as soon as I nabbed the rune... teleported right before I had a chance to grab it.
. . .
.@D
. . .
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner