Questioning Changes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 03:53

Re: Questioning Changes

Teleportitis is not that bad and who cares if a mutation is slightly more dangerous, how often do you get teleportitis anyway.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 03:58

advil wrote:Well, this thread is something, no one's looking great which is a bit unfortunate as it does seem like this change could use some introspection (as far as I can tell the only people even mentioned in this thread who have experienced it first-hand are MarvinPA and Aule).
i am pretty sure that some of the people mentioned in this thread literally have public records of them experiencing it first-hand

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 04:04

duvessa wrote:
advil wrote:Well, this thread is something, no one's looking great which is a bit unfortunate as it does seem like this change could use some introspection (as far as I can tell the only people even mentioned in this thread who have experienced it first-hand are MarvinPA and Aule).
i am pretty sure that some of the people mentioned in this thread literally have public records of them experiencing it first-hand

how dare you record snipe
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 07:17

i'm just gonna go play dark souls

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 08:02

But what is this topic about?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 10:23

Sandman25 wrote:I don't like removal of the mutation. It was main reason to avoid mutation roulette. Now I will mutate myself in almost every game. Seriously, what mutation can kill my DEFE of Vehumet or anything of Ash?

What mutation can really help your DEFE of Vehumet or anything of Ash? There are plenty of muts that can make your experience worse. Deterioration (no idea how it works now that you heal statloss by killing dudes, though), placid magic, that one that reduces the amount of HP you get from items, blurry vision. What benefits do you hope for? AC from scales? But you might get twisted body instead. More HP? You might get less HP. Is it worth it? Maybe, I don't know. Personally I just wouldn't bother.

duvessa wrote:
Aule wrote:Deformed body places you at no immediate and random risk of potentially harsh consequences.

neither does teleportitis

Eh, let's say you've just finished a fight and you are kinda low on HP and the stairs are not too close. In this situation teleportitis can place you next to some scary unique and that can be dangerous. Well, I guess you can also never fight far away from stairs, but that sounds kinda tedious.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 13:29

Sar wrote:What mutation can really help your DEFE of Vehumet or anything of Ash? There are plenty of muts that can make your experience worse. Deterioration (no idea how it works now that you heal statloss by killing dudes, though), placid magic, that one that reduces the amount of HP you get from items, blurry vision. What benefits do you hope for? AC from scales? But you might get twisted body instead. More HP? You might get less HP. Is it worth it? Maybe, I don't know. Personally I just wouldn't bother.

Mostly rPois and scales (I would mutate myself before first rune when most my characters have problems). There are much more good mutations than bad mutations so I believe that random mutation is more likely to give you a good one and as I wrote above it was teleportitis which was stopping me.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 13:54

I have had teleportitis a lot and actually died from it in vaults, but that was from bad play (tabbing after the teleport). So yeah, the only change it makes in my gameplay is avoiding elf 2/3 early on...

And why am I not afraid of mutating? Well I dont play for streaks, if I get something like frail 3 I just die soon enough, and if I get breathe poison clouds thats just fun. And since I always go Ash berserkitis is not an issue. It was under Ash that even blurry sight was not an issue, but alas that got changed again.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 14:40

Sandman25 wrote:random mutation is more likely to give you a good one

Well my take on it is that most good mutations aren't even that good. Do you really need rPois that much? And scales, they just give you a bit of AC. It helps, but even if I have a 1/10 chance of getting something annoying and awful and having to either quit or play with it I am just going to skip it. I'm not saying you should do as I say, I'm saying that even without completely awful mutations in the roulette I wouldn't play it and I assume I am not the only one.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 14:49

it's fun to chug every !mut you see especially if you don't care that much if eventually a troll eats your stupid mutant elf or whatever

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 14:55

Sar wrote:Well my take on it is that most good mutations aren't even that good. Do you really need rPois that much? And scales, they just give you a bit of AC. It helps, but even if I have a 1/10 chance of getting something annoying and awful and having to either quit or play with it I am just going to skip it. I'm not saying you should do as I say, I'm saying that even without completely awful mutations in the roulette I wouldn't play it and I assume I am not the only one.

It's crawl, it's full of annoying things like pillar dancing and going upstairs to heal. Also if you don't care about extra AC, you should not care about deformed body either.
Do you mean something like this?
Here it was D2 with 2 potions of mutations and I wanted to have some fun. I would keep playing it if it wasn't a tournament and I wasn't in a clan, I am masochist sometimes ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 14:57

yesno wrote:it's fun to chug every !mut you see especially if you don't care that much if eventually a troll eats your stupid mutant elf or whatever

I played a NaHe of Ely who had conduct "quaff every !mutation and eat every mutation chunk you can create", that was fun indeed.

Code:
A: breathe poison, constrict 1, stinger 1, icy blue scales 1, see invisible,
breathe poison, clever 2, clumsy 1, cold resistance 1, deformed body, frail 1,
low mp 1, sense surroundings 1, poison resistance, shaggy fur 1, slowness 2,
weak 1, forlorn, AC +9

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
yesno

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 15:37

it's not very fun IMO but whatever

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 16:10

Sar wrote:it's not very fun IMO but whatever

It's like playing multiple characters at once. First you have teleportitis, then you remove it but have berserkititis instead, then poisonous cloud, frail, fire breath, forlorn, deteriorating body, magic mapping etc. No more complaints about boring middle game or Zot diving :)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:49

archaeo wrote:But I'm sorry, I'm interrupting the important work of trying to censure duvessa for the high crime of being snarky about video games on the Internet. Please, continue.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to censure duvessa who I doubt cares at all what I think. Rather, I was trying to offer some practical advice for not getting annoyed at him: I literally just think he uses words like "dangerous" or "easy" etc, especially in abbreviated-no-punctuation-duvessa mode, differently than the vast majority of native speakers of English. He is mostly only infuriating if you take him to mean the same thing by these claims that you would, so just don't do that.*

* I can't resist...cf. later Wittgenstein: "If a lion could talk, we could not understand him."

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 21:52

fr: rename crazy yiuf's corner to crazy wittgenstein's corner
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
advil, gammafunk, Zooty

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th August 2015, 22:25

advil wrote:I literally just think he uses words like "dangerous" or "easy" etc, especially in abbreviated-no-punctuation-duvessa mode, differently than the vast majority of native speakers of English.
no, i just use them differently from the people who think everything in crawl is dangerous and nothing in crawl is easy

i'm actually a native english speaker but i'm also very lazy and often decide to be a dick for no reason

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:24

FWIW advil, I wasn't really responding to you with that line.

I think it's time to close this thread, unless people really want to keep talking about teleportitis. We can open a new thread to argue about whether or not mut roulette is fun.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 00:32

duvessa wrote:everything in crawl is dangerous and nothing in crawl is easy
Everything in crawl is dangerous. Everything in Crawl is easy. It's all relative to the character you are playing. Unarmed hobgoblin could spell doom to your XL 1 TeEE; Dispater is a joke to a Kobold with Controlled Blink, a +9 Blowgun with a large stack of Paralysis Needles and a Quick Blade...etc. etc. A lot of what makes Felids so fucking annoying is everything is always dangerous.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 13:52

Arrhythmia wrote:fr: rename crazy yiuf's corner to crazy wittgenstein's corner

So pretty much regular Wittgenstein's corner then?

For this message the author Zooty has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 13:52

duvessa wrote:i'm also very lazy and often decide to be a dick for no reason

Being a dick on the internet for no reason is the MiBe of interpersonal communications. Git gud scrub.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
Rast, thromnambular

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 15:19

archaeo wrote:FWIW advil, I wasn't really responding to you with that line.

I think it's time to close this thread, unless people really want to keep talking about teleportitis. We can open a new thread to argue about whether or not mut roulette is fun.

but where will changes be questioned???

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:22

Call me crazy but I'm going to go with "it's fine" too. Duv saying it doesn't put you at risk is wrong, but it's not dramatically more risk than the old teleport system. It'll probably more consistent to give you some level of risk, but it's meant to do that, it's a bad mutation. I've had it and survived it easily, because it was relatively late game and I was already really strong at that point. It'll certainly be worse on weaker characters, but so is everything else.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:41

archaeo wrote:And, honestly, I don't think you have any right to call out duvessa's behavior here, Aule. You seem to be getting pretty worked up about a video game, after all, whereas I'm pretty sure duvessa doesn't owe you a detailed list of reasons why he disagrees with you.

keep the circlejerking up, good work.

Ontopic: i don't feel strongly either way but this mutation makes mutation roulette worse than it needs to be.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 20:43

gosh, kitten, I apologize, I completely played into the infamous pro-duvessa circlejerk. I'll be sure to take that constructive criticism on board for my future posts.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 21:00

Crawling and circle-jerking are really my only two outlets in life. I am personally offended by this thread.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Zooty

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 21:52

archaeo wrote:gosh, kitten, I apologize, I completely played into the infamous pro-duvessa circlejerk. I'll be sure to take that constructive criticism on board for my future posts.

oh man I love when someone selects a username that reads like a condescending nickname no matter how it's framed

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, tedric
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner