Gods Fun Survey

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 02:30

Re: Gods Fun Survey

nogardark wrote:don't hate me please, but I don't understand how is okawaru average in the FUN department.

More people rated him fun than people who rated him not fun, I would guess.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 02:50

Again, I rated Okawaru average but I think I know why some players can rate him fun.
It's fun to attack 5 times per turn with Giant Spiked Club, it's fun to occasionally get a great artefact, it's even fun to see a hilariously crappy artefact sometimes. Every time I get a gift I get excited and hurry to identify the item. Hmm, maybe I should have rated him above average...

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 03:17

nogardark wrote:don't hate me please, but I don't understand how is okawaru average in the FUN department. He gives two invisible no drawbacks powers, and the gifts are, most of the time trash. I guess he is fun in the way a slot machine is fun: you win big one day and keep playing expecting to win more. Then you are broken and have to sell your kids.

Disclaimer: I don't hate okawaru.

I think he's very boring too, so you aren't the only one. ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 03:37

nogardark wrote:don't hate me please, but I don't understand how is okawaru average in the FUN department. He gives two invisible no drawbacks powers, and the gifts are, most of the time trash. I guess he is fun in the way a slot machine is fun: you win big one day and keep playing expecting to win more. Then you are broken and have to sell your kids.

This is absolutely correct except replace Okawaru with "about 3/5 the gods". Just with slightly less gifts.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 05:45

Personally I'm most surprised with finding Nemelex at "Yawn" level. I'm guessing it's because of the inventory management, similarly to the way that Beogh is so low because of the Allies management?

Personally those two Gods are the ones I had the most fun with (especially Nemelex). I guess I feel Nemelex's theme (a Trickster god dealing cards and letting you "cheat" if you gain its favour) feels so cleverly woven into the mechanics, and process of discovering those mechanics was so exciting,that I don't mind so much some of the problems that come with it. Even after a number of game attempts with Nemelex, the randomness keeps things fresh enough that I'm always looking forward to see how it plays out.

Conversely I've yet to particularly enjoy playing with Xom, though I haven't really given it a good try (last time I did I was barely able to get to the lair IIRC)

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 05:52

I rated Okawaru a '3'. As far as I'm concerned, Oka is a god who helps me in non-interesting ways, but doesn't force me into any tedious gameplay. So he is more fun to me than the gods that I find really tedious (for example: any based around casting spells or ally play), and less fun than the gods who help me in more interesting ways (like Trog, Lugonu, Jiyva, Zin). Obviously "interesting" is subjective and will vary from person to person, but that's why I rated Oka average.

I can also understand that some people might find Oka's gifts really exciting, which makes him more fun. Sure 90% of his gifts are complete trash and 90% of the usable gifts are just meh, but really that just makes it more satisfying when that awesome 1% comes around. And I'm sure there are other people who like that Oka just straight up turns you into a windmill of death with no downsides, I can see people finding that pretty fun. In the end, it really just comes down to what you find interesting about god play.

TheSchachter wrote:Personally I'm most surprised with finding Nemelex at "Yawn" level. I'm guessing it's because of the inventory management, similarly to the way that Beogh is so low because of the Allies management?

I rated Nem a '2' for basically just that reason. Nem is way better now than he used to be (I refused to play him back in the days when deck gifts were tied to which items you sacrificed), but still requires way too much item shuffling to be fun. I also dislike that I have to change my rcfile options to play him (Nem is awful without autosacrifice on, I find). However, I also find it fairly tedious to use any evokables other than wands, and only even a handful of those, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 06:08

WalkerBoh wrote:I rated Nem a '2' for basically just that reason. Nem is way better now than he used to be (I refused to play him back in the days when deck gifts were tied to which items you sacrificed), but still requires way too much item shuffling to be fun. I also dislike that I have to change my rcfile options to play him (Nem is awful without autosacrifice on, I find). However, I also find it fairly tedious to use any evokables other than wands, and only even a handful of those, so take it with a grain of salt.

I see. From my perspective, I just expect Crawl games (like any roguelike) to have some tedium to them, even if Crawl overall fares much better than most games in that regard, and for now I don't find Nemelex particularly sticks out compared to many other styles of play/gameplay elements, in terms of that tedium. Of course it's quite clear that the game's development is slanted against the idea that such issues (among others, re: the thread on GDD) might be forgiven in exchange for an interesting God, so for now I'm just hoping that the devs successfully reform Nemelex instead of just removing it, which I feel would be a pretty big loss for the game.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 08:56

Fun is subjective IMO so I find it very weird that people are arguing about what is fun!

Looking back on my survey choices, I'm pretty sure I didn't apply any consistent criterion to my choices. I put Xom as 5 even though I only play Xom once in a blue moon, because Xom games tend to be very memorable. If I had to play Xom every other game though, I'll probably tire of his antics pretty quick. Conversely, gods that I actually use all the time (like Oka or Veh or Makh or Ash), I rated as a 3, possibility because of overfamiliarity. But hey, subjective. The wording of the survey would have to be changed if you want to actually argue over the results.

Maybe Klown would complete the trifecta and do a Backgrounds Fun Survey. You know, for extra fun :D

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 12:52

DracheReborn wrote:Maybe Klown would complete the trifecta and do a Backgrounds Fun Survey. You know, for extra fun :D

If people want it, sure. A lot of backgrounds are similar starting points though.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 13:32

TheSchachter wrote:Personally I'm most surprised with finding Nemelex at "Yawn" level.

Nemelex forces you to do chores before you can have any fun: "Sure you can play with decks, but only after you sweep the dungeon." Also inventory management. The decks themselves are even a little boring, in that once you get a decent number of them and decent invo you can solve every problem with decks, and when you do you get rewarded with more decks. Yo dawg, I heard you like decks, so I put decks in your decks so you can decks while you decks.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
and into, duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 17:14

Proposal: Stop and alert the player if they are about to do something their God doesn't like.
Used a wand of fire, and Dithmenos just summoned 4 super shadow death demons from the deepest pits of Hell.

There's like 100 Gods in this game, we really shouldn't be expected to memorize every tiny thing that makes each one start crying like a baby.

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
Sandman25
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner