The alternative to pillar dancing is dying

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

What do you do when pillar dancing is your best tactical option, and what's your stance on it?

I pillar dance, and I want pillar dancing to stay, because it prevents unavoidable deaths
57%
I don't pillar dance, but I'm OK with other people pillar dancing if that's how they want to play
20%
I pillar dance, but wish it wasn't possible
17%
I don't pillar dance, and I don't think other people should be allowed to pillar dance either
6%

Total votes : 35

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 18:17

Re: The alternative to pillar dancing is dying

If i were to suggest something it would be to set every player species default movement speed to 1.2 auts per step, remove their regeneration and create two new skills to train: survival and running, one increases your regeneration the other your movement speed, and balance each species apts to it. The "pillar dancing is boring oe tedious" argument is the most subjective shit i read so far, i play most of my games around pillar dancing/disengaging strategies that involves poisoning enemies running and regeneration and anything out of that is actually boring to me.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
yesno

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 04:27

I think the solution is to have a key/ability/ set of keys that you can press to automate pillar dancing, like o, tab, and 5. Resting is super tedious, pressing s or . repeatedly until you are at full HP. Except it isn't tedious because you have 5 to do it for you. Pillar dance would be fine if there was a 'press B to pillar dance' option.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 21:41

What if you just have all monsters regenerate health super quickly? Wouldn't that disincentivize pillar dancing?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 21:44

It would make it even more tedious. You will still be able to reset fights to full and kill the monster in one go, instead of regenning 1 MP and killing an almost-dead monster.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 22:16

see also: worms
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 04:09

d1 survival, go down the first staircase you see, clear out weak monsters from the stair area, go up the staircases from d2. then have 3 escapes on d1 mapped out. keep exploring d1 if you want, now can keep aware of your proximity to a safe staircase at all times. if you encounter something tough and don't feel like kiting it then just go downstairs.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 04:46

I don't recommend immediately going down staircases from d1 because you may come into LOS of many enemies at once and some may be adjacent. It's better to explore to minimize the number of new tiles revealed. Also, d2 enemies can be significantly more dangerous than d1 enemies - adders, for example. So it's better to finish clearing d1 as much as possible to level up to xl2 or 3, before going down.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 05:02

well okay then keep pillar dancing i guess
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner