Discussion with a developer

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 15:05

Discussion with a developer

’How is the Update getting on?’ said Twelvedicks, raising his voice to overcome the noise.

’Slowly,’ said Campbell. ’I’m on the spells. It’s fascinating.’

He had brightened up immediately at the mention of Stone Soup. He pushed his pannikin aside, took up his hunk of bread in one delicate hand and his cheese in the other, and leaned across the table so as to be able to speak without shouting.

’The Eleventh Version is the definitive version,’ he said. ’We’re getting the game into its final shape — the shape it’s going to have when nobody plays anything else. When we’ve finished with it, people like you will have to learn it all over again. You think, I dare say, that our chief job is creating new content. But not a bit of it! We’re removing features — scores of them, hundreds of them, every day. We’re cutting the game down to the bone. The Eleventh Version won’t contain a single feature that will become unbalanced before the year 2013.’

He bit hungrily into his bread and swallowed a couple of mouthfuls, then continued speaking, with a sort of pedant’s passion. His thin dark face had become animated, his eyes had lost their mocking expression and grown almost dreamy.

’It’s a beautiful thing, the removing of content. Of course the great wastage is in the monsters and spells, but there are hundreds of characters that can be got rid of as well. It isn’t only the races; there are also the backgrounds. After all, what justification is there for a background which is simply the combinations of some other backgrounds? A background contains its combinations in itself. Take Assassin, for instance. If you have a background like Assassin, what need is there for a background like Stalker? Transmuter will do just as well — better, because it’s exactly different, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of Assassin, what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless backgrounds like Fighter and Gladiator and all the rest of them? An Ogre covers the lack of strength, or a Troll if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those features already. but in the final version of Crawl there’ll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of melee and magic will be covered by only six backgrounds — in reality, only one background. Don’t you see the beauty of that, Twelvedicks? It was Linley’s idea originally, of course,’ he added as an afterthought.

A sort of vapid eagerness flitted across Twelvedicks’s face at the mention of Linley. Nevertheless Campbell immediately detected a certain lack of enthusiasm.

’You haven’t a real appreciation of Stone Soup, Twelvedicks,’ he said almost sadly. ’Even when you play it you’re still thinking in terms of the old Crawl. I’ve watched some of those runs that you've had on Webtiles occasionally. They’re good enough, but they’re transpositions. In your heart you’d prefer to stick to the old Crawl, with all its imbalance and its useless overpowered spells. You don’t grasp the beauty of the destruction of features. Do you know that Stone Soup is the only game in the world whose content gets smaller every year?’

Twelvedicks did know that, of course. He smiled, sympathetically he hoped, not trusting himself to speak. Campbell bit off another fragment of the dark-coloured bread, chewed it briefly, and went on:

’Don’t you see that the whole aim of Stone Soup is to narrow the range of strategies? In the end we shall make exploits literally impossible, because there will be no features in which to create them. Every concept that can ever be needed, will be expressed by exactly one feature, with its power rigidly nerfed and all its subsidiary uses rubbed out and forgotten. Already, in the Eleventh Version, we’re not far from that point. But the process will still be continuing long after you and I are dead. Every year fewer and fewer features, and the range of winnable strategies always a little smaller. Even now, of course, there’s no reason or excuse for committing balancecrime. It’s merely a question of self-discipline, reality-control. But in the end there won’t be any need even for that. The Nerfing Machine will be complete when the game is perfect. Stone Soup is Balance and Balance is Stone Soup,’ he added with a sort of mystical satisfaction.

’Has it ever occurred to you, Twelvedicks, that by the year 2013, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could win such games as we are having now?’

’Except-’ began Twelvedicks doubtfully, and he stopped.
It had been on the tip of his tongue to say ’Except the casuals,’ but he checked himself, not feeling fully certain that this remark was not in some way unorthodox. Campbell, however, had divined what he was about to say.
’The casuals are not human beings,’ he said carelessly. ’ By 2013 earlier, probably — all real knowledge of Old Crawl will have disappeared. The whole content of the past will have been destroyed. Divinations, Mountain Dwarves, Paladins, the Hive — they’ll exist only in Stone Soup versions, not merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something contradictory of what they used to be. Even the mottos of the developers will change. Even the slogans will change. How could you have a slogan like ”removing content is an update” when the concept of content has been abolished? The whole range of strategies will be different. In fact there will be no strategy, as we understand it now. Balance means not thinking — not needing to think. Balance is unconsciousness.’

For this message the author Twelvedicks has received thanks: 6
Galefury, pratamawirya, Psieye, Roderic, TehDruid, XuaXua

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 15:12

Re: Discussion with a developer

Brilliant.

If you are serious you are wrong, but it's still brilliant.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 15:18

dafuuuuq yeah brilliant

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 15:20

Dayumn that's some fine-ass writing.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 15:25

...err, btw, you guys know WHY he made the post, right? (you don't have to answer explicitly)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 16:13

Mountain Dwarves have never been a player race.

...and this thread should really move to CYC.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 17:56

Guys it's well written because it's Orwell. Someone probably twigged on my mention of the memory hole the other day.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 3
MyOtheHedgeFox, PerverseSuffering, Roderic

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 19:12

Grimm is correct.
Once he mentioned it, and I replaced "Stone Soup" with "Newspeak"...
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 19:44

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Grimm is correct.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 20:36

Guys it's well written because it's Orwell. Someone probably twigged on my mention of the memory hole the other day.

I don't remember much Orwell but it reminds me of the discussion of Mustapha Mond and the Savage in Brave New World. Except I can kind of sympaphise with the former.

weren't some guys in 1984 convinced by the big brother, subsequently shooting themselves (hint)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 22:23

A brave new world and 1984 are both masterpieces on the same subject: the enslavement of humanity.

One does it through thought control and oppression, the other through pleasure. I'd say Huxley is a bit closer to what is actually going on; but both are excellent books. I "read" both for a class, without really reading much of them. Then years later I went back and read 1984 for fun. Well worth it. I really should get around to actually reading a brave new world soon :)

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 13th October 2012, 13:45

Grimm wrote:Guys it's well written because it's Orwell.

It is a brilliant adaptation, yes.

I read 1984 only recently, and it was really very good. I expected some silly drivel that everyone is all hyped about because he was first or something. But it's actually an excellent book. I might take a look at some of Orwell's other books.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th October 2012, 14:23

In regards to realism, Brave New World maybe accurately describes the media and is psychologically accurate (Pavlov's dogs or whatever they were called = conditioning), but has the World State, while 1984 is similar to the Cold War situation it was written in in some ways (the different states pretending to be at war in order to distract from other problems). I'd say they both are realistic in their own ways and maybe Brave New World fits today a bit better... or that Brave New World is accurate on an individual level while 1984 is accurate on a world politics level?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 03:08

Galefury wrote:
Grimm wrote:Guys it's well written because it's Orwell.

It is a brilliant adaptation, yes.

It's not an adaptation, it's an exact copy with relevant Crawlisms substituted where necessary. Google any random sentence fragment from it and you'll get the text of Nineteen Eighty-Four.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 06:43

Looks like the topic assembler made good use of the Story-Writing Machine!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 08:42

Eh, I would gladly live in Brave New World-type dystopia. Everybody is happy, Mr. Savage needed not apply.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 12:43

Bernard isn't exactly happy, and sometimes Lenina is unhappy as well, same goes for Helmholtz, and once a guy listening to the DHC and Mond complained that he once didn't get a girl he wanted for three weeks and felt horrible

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 16:00

Well, they're all just deviations, exceptions to the rule mostly.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 16:30

and there's always soma

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 17:18

cerebovssquire wrote:and there's always soma

From issue 549 of the b3ta.com newsletter:

b3eta.com wrote:: STAR IN NEXT WEEK'S ISSUE

Make something cool and tell us about it. If
you are in it then people will see your stuff.

Things we'd really like to see include

[ ...]

* SOME KIND OF BUTTON THAT STOPS THINGS BEING
SHIT - possibly this is called heroin.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 18:08

PerverseSuffering wrote:Eh, I would gladly live in Brave New World-type dystopia. Everybody is happy, Mr. Savage needed not apply.

The short-term happiness from pleasure/dopamine and deeper, long-term happiness from living a fulfilling life are two different things. Huxley's world is awash in the former, and has forgotten the latter.

For this message the author inkydood has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 19:23

inkydood wrote:
PerverseSuffering wrote:Eh, I would gladly live in Brave New World-type dystopia. Everybody is happy, Mr. Savage needed not apply.

The short-term happiness from pleasure/dopamine and deeper, long-term happiness from living a fulfilling life are two different things. Huxley's world is awash in the former, and has forgotten the latter.

Ehh, the life of people is thought throughout and all the problems they have are actually in their heads. Too much thoughts, and that's mostly applicable to alphas/betas. Would live a gamma life anytime offered - provided I live it from the very start, not as I am now, of course. Who needs long-term happiness when you get drugs on a daily basis? From our current perspective, Brave New World is very wrong; we are the Savage. From the eyes of a person who's been born into said utopia, why bother?
I want to be that person.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 20:51

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 20:56

Grimm wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:and there's always soma

From issue 549 of the b3ta.com newsletter:

b3eta.com wrote:: STAR IN NEXT WEEK'S ISSUE

Make something cool and tell us about it. If
you are in it then people will see your stuff.

Things we'd really like to see include

[ ...]

* SOME KIND OF BUTTON THAT STOPS THINGS BEING
SHIT - possibly this is called heroin.

are you sure it isn't called cyanide

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 20:57

Now there's an analogy with legs.

Actually though there's no telling what will happen after death. It could be much worse.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2012, 17:55

Back to Nineteen Eighty-Four for a moment...there's more of a Crawl angle than you might think. Specifically, with Ashenzari.

Ignorance is Strength -- Reskilling. You get the best benefit if you dump into a skill that you don't have, because of the point curves.

Freedom is Slavery -- Your equipment slots are free? You are powerless.

War is Peace -- (Okay, not so much. But bear with me.)

And who is always watching you, at all times and in everything that you do?
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks: 2
dpeg, Galefury

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2012, 18:14

Stormfox: You mean that Ashenzari also watches characters on the loo? Here we have our first peeping god :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2012, 18:40

Feature request: a bathroom clock to go along with the food clock

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th October 2012, 02:17

Because taking off your plate mail regularly is fun.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 17th October 2012, 06:14

Jabberwocky wrote:Because taking off your plate mail regularly is fun.

It's not mail, it's just plate armour since like 0.9 or 0.10 or... Some near version. :p
MuCK;
  Code:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th October 2012, 11:56

plate mail of pee bag

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 17th October 2012, 11:59

nicolae wrote:

plate mail of pee bag

catheter sounds much better.
MuCK;
  Code:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th October 2012, 16:04

New way to make strength matter!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th October 2012, 20:40

rRust--

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 18:43

I don't know about you, but I stopped taking off all my clothes to go to the bathroom at around age 3.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 18:58

I know right? These days I actually dress up to go to the toilet - usually black tie and tails, but never less than a three piece suit.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner