Is Windows a Virus?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 01:18

Is Windows a Virus?

Note: This is not my post, a friend of mine wanted me to post this. Yes, I have friends.

Is Windows a Virus?

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1 - They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

2 - Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.

3 - Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.

4 - Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.

5 - Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 01:49

Re: Is Windows a Virus?

any other jokes from the 1990s? I love Window$ M$ jokes

heres one:

how does bill gates sign his checks

bill gate$
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 04:43

"Microsoft used to have real competitors once. That's why we have a museum for that"
(another quote showcasing Gate's hubris)

Also...
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 04:46

twelwe wrote:any other jokes from the 1990s? I love Window$ M$ jokes

well, judging by the last post, this thread is at least caught up to 2003 now

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 20:58

Windows is kind of like Walmart. It's the biggest in what it does, it can do pretty much whatever you need it to do, and it's cheap if you want it to be (aka buying a low end Dell or somesuch). However, if you want specific things at a higher quality than Windows can offer, you'd be better served at looking at your other options (OSX, Linux, and all those other operating systems I can't recall), which is akin to going to Gamestop or Steam to buy a game instead of Walmart.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 03:25

TwilightPhoenix wrote:akin to going to Gamestop or Steam to buy a game instead of Walmart.

I wouldn't say it's quite the same. Pretty much anyone can wander into Gamestop or go to Steam - just like Walmart, all you need is a credit card. Obtaining and installng Linux or something else requires a higher level of technological know-how - as does maintaining it. At Walmart and Gamestop you're getting the same product by a different route but with Windows versus Linux you're going a different route, getting a different thing, and need to be more knowledgeable and confident to both start and continue using it.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 03:32

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Windows is kind of like Walmart. It's the biggest in what it does, it can do pretty much whatever you need it to do, and it's cheap if you want it to be (aka buying a low end Dell or somesuch). However, if you want specific things at a higher quality than Windows can offer, you'd be better served at looking at your other options (OSX, Linux, and all those other operating systems I can't recall), which is akin to going to Gamestop or Steam to buy a game instead of Walmart.

lomlo lols lamao

a great joke
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 03:51

Confidence Interval wrote:
TwilightPhoenix wrote:akin to going to Gamestop or Steam to buy a game instead of Walmart.

I wouldn't say it's quite the same. Pretty much anyone can wander into Gamestop or go to Steam - just like Walmart, all you need is a credit card. Obtaining and installng Linux or something else requires a higher level of technological know-how - as does maintaining it. At Walmart and Gamestop you're getting the same product by a different route but with Windows versus Linux you're going a different route, getting a different thing, and need to be more knowledgeable and confident to both start and continue using it.

Linux is only more complicated to obtain if you make it complicated. If you want a system that is as slow as Windows, download Ubuntu, and it will install without a problem, no know-how needed. But if you want to make a bare bones debian box, an arch box like like I have (or, god forbid, a gentoo box), it will cost you in time instead of money.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 04:53

this thread turned from a 0 to a 6 fast

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 22nd July 2012, 04:16

I'd be interested to know what distros other people use. I use Arch and Debian, with Gnome 2 or MATE.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 15:14

giygas wrote:
Confidence Interval wrote:

Linux is only more complicated to obtain if you make it complicated. If you want a system that is as slow as Windows, download Ubuntu, and it will install without a problem, no know-how needed. But if you want to make a bare bones debian box, an arch box like like I have (or, god forbid, a gentoo box), it will cost you in time instead of money.

What is wrong with Ubuntu, exactly?
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 00:46

IronJelly wrote:What is wrong with Ubuntu, exactly?

Nothing is wrong with Ubuntu if you just want a simple to set up system. But there is no real advantage in running Ubuntu over Windows except for the price, because it's bloated with a large number of drivers and the Unity Desktop. That said, when all else fails at running on a computer, Ubuntu doesn't. I've only found it useful as a system repair live disc, because it supports all hardware made in the last 10 years.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 27th July 2012, 02:28

minmay wrote:My strategy is to install Ubuntu then spend a few minutes uninstalling stuff so it basically turns into Debian, that way I get better support on ubuntuforums

It won't be debian, it'll be un-bloated ubuntu (even though this is an oxymoron). You still won't be able to use all of the debian package repos.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner