Cyno Bikeshedding

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 15:08

Cyno Bikeshedding

Bikeshedding for Cyno ITT. Current name comes from 'kynokephalos' or 'cynocephalus', Greek for 'head of a dog'. Some suggestions from other sources are:
-Gnoll/Grass(y) Gnoll/<adjective> Gnoll
-High Elf/<adjective> Elf (I don't like this one because it has prior player associations/expectations and require rework to replace Strong Nose, but I'll mention it anyway)
-Bultungin/Werewolf
-Anubis
-keep Cyno
-Pupper (confirmed name for Hellcrawl)

I'm not making a poll because I'm lazy. Post/thank your preferred name and/or post your own. Please try to pick a name that will match the current mechanics (I can rename those as well if necessary to match a new name).

Feel free to throw in species descriptions as well; mine is currently just a dog joke:
Cynos are humanoids with the head of a dog, with origins from the eastern deserts. Cynos are unusually attracted to the dungeon, with mentions of the Orb often generating blank stares, tilted heads, and involuntary drooling.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 15:48

Re: Cyno Bikeshedding

elf > gnoll >> anything else

Crawl has a lot of monstrous species already, and I want more non-monstrous options. While I totally respect the kind of aesthetic sensibility for which this doesn't matter (or for which playing monstrous species is just part of the fun), I find Crawl more immersive when I can imagine my character looking a little like me (or a better looking version of me). Plus there is an imo cool thematic basis for the "nu elf"* version of the cyno: being immortal, the only thing that saves them from either going mad with boredom or being crushed by the weight of past losses and regrets is that they're forgetful and transitory by nature.

Gnoll is fine if people want to keep the doggy appearance though; it's cool playing species that are also represented in the dungeon. I don't see any reason why they'd need an adjective in this case: all the gnolls are early-to-mid-game monsters, so they, too, can plausibly be imagined as having lowish skills across the board.

[*] not an actual proposed name.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 16:00

luckless wrote:I don't see any reason why they'd need an adjective in this case: all the gnolls are early-to-mid-game monsters, so they, too, can plausibly be imagined as having lowish skills across the board.

The adjective is there as a potential because Gnomes used to exist as a species and used Gn. If there is too much of a data collision issue with scoring/chat bots in differentiating between the two, it needs to use a different abbreviation. Go/Gl look dumber than a random adjective thrown in front providing the first letter.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 16:18

idk, I think the main test of an abbreviation is whether there are any backgrounds such that appending them to it makes a funny or at least recognizable word.

Go gets you GoWn and GoNe and GoGl; Gl gets you GlEE and GlAM and GlAs--not bad! A Gnoll Wildling or Gnoll Whelp could get you GWAr, which may be justification enough for the name on its own.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 16:43

Pupper gets you PuCK and PuBe.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
Implojin, luckless

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 16:49

Swamp Gnoll!
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 17:06

Superficial Dwarf.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 19:15

Hellmonk wrote:Pupper gets you PuCK and PuBe.

You make a strong case, I'm sold!
make food great again

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 19:29

Yiufcrawl, a dcss fork with extra species
Pu, LO, HE, SE, "MD", Im, ST, BK, viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23209

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 23:17

I vote for just plain gnoll.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
shping

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th March 2017, 23:25

MainiacJoe wrote:I vote for just plain gnoll.

Plains gnoll?
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
shping, ZipZipskins

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th March 2017, 19:30

Grassy Gnoll
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks: 3
shping, Siegurt, Speleothing

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner