Spellcasting/Fighting Buff

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 03:08

Spellcasting/Fighting Buff

You know how Spellcasting gives you twice MP before step ups that evo/invocations would give you?

What if Spellcasting (and only Spellcasting) gave you a third of the HP training Fighting normally would, and Fighting joined the 'vocation skills at a reduced rate, giving a third of the MP that Spellcasting would?

(I'd also propose we take the MP gain away from Evocations, but they're already in a really rough spot and MP-Powered Wands is the single most devastating mutation in the game for a charlatan.)

"Why?"

Well, besides Ogre, spellcasters are expected to pump levels into Fighting along with their damage skills because they don't have a way to increase their max HP. Melee fighters don't have to adhere to this because they can cast "use melee weapon" for a pretty nominal cost. At the same time, Fighting would give more flexibility in casting potential, though I imagine it's only going to make spirit shield more attractive, which isn't bad I think. I don't think buffing early game casters is bad, it's why the +1 MP bonus is a literal +1 MP, so someone can pump out one more magic dart or something.

Discuss down here or something.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 04:05

Re: Spellcasting/Fighting Buff

ah, but spellcasting already gives 50% hp and 50% mp. it's called "training fighting/spellcasting at a 50/50 rate"

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks: 3
Elitist, Sar, Utis

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 13:06

CanOfWorms wrote:ah, but spellcasting already gives 50% hp and 50% mp. it's called "training fighting/spellcasting at a 50/50 rate"

You know what? That's a good idea, I'll start doing that. Thank you. :)
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 13:20

My spellcasters generally finish with 20+ fighting and spellcasting with mid armor and very reasonable stealth/dodge/shield.

It's more than manageable as long as you never bother with the dual school spells over level 7 not named chain lightning and train a cheap beatstick. Single school level 8-9 spells are generaly worth training to 30ish% with wiz to make them castable via brilliance provided you have at worst flat apts and only go for one of them.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 16:04

There are some things Fighting surely doesn't need, and a buff is one of them

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 3
nago, NhorianScum, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 18:17

ZipZipskins wrote:There are some things Fighting surely doesn't need, and a buff is one of them

Technically the op is a buff to both spellcasting and fighting.

But even restructured to something like "fighting gives 75% of the hps that it used to, and 25% of the mp that spellcasting used to, and spellcasting gives 75% of the mp it used to and 25% of the hps that fighting used to" so that it isn't much of a buff, i dont really think it is a very good idea.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 18:22

Siegurt wrote:
ZipZipskins wrote:There are some things Fighting surely doesn't need, and a buff is one of them

But even restructured to something like "fighting gives 75% of the hps that it used to, and 25% of the mp that spellcasting used to, and spellcasting gives 75% of the mp it used to and 25% of the hps that fighting used to" so that it isn't much of a buff, i dont really think it is a very good idea.

I did read the OP, I was just deliberately only commenting on changing Fighting.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st January 2017, 20:04

ZipZipskins wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

I did read the OP, I was just deliberately only commenting on changing Fighting.

Fair enough. ;)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 00:14

If your proposal was already in the game and someone made a thread called "make fighting give only hp and spellcasting give only mp" i think it would get 20+ thanks

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks: 4
nago, PleasingFungus, Rast, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 05:38

if that proposal was already in the game it wouldn't even have 20+ players

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
nago, ZipZipskins

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 08:44

Sar wrote:if that proposal was already in the game it wouldn't even have 20+ players

That's what they said about the removal of haste.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner