Remove Ogre M&F Aptitude

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 21:25

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Pure melee Ogre is much easier than any Naga. +3 aptitudes in fighting/m&f are crazy powerful. I currently have an Ogre with 196 HP and GSC at min delay at XL 17 (before getting any runes). Defenses are not important yet since you can run away from everything unlike Naga.

This begs for being put to the topic Famous last words.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks: 2
Doesnt, papilio

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 21:29

Re:

Turukano wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:Pure melee Ogre is much easier than any Naga. +3 aptitudes in fighting/m&f are crazy powerful. I currently have an Ogre with 196 HP and GSC at min delay at XL 17 (before getting any runes). Defenses are not important yet since you can run away from everything unlike Naga.

This begs for being put to the topic Famous last words.

Why? With 196 HP I am guaranteed to live no matter what. AC 8/EV 21 is just a nice bonus, I don't count on it.
I would put "My Gr has AC 70 and EV 30, it cannot die" into Famous last words thread instead, especially since Gr has 199 HP at most...
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:03

Re: Re:

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Why? With 196 HP I am guaranteed to live no matter what.
not to be needlessly pedantic, but this is... untrue

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
nago, papilio

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:24

Shard1697 wrote:
not to be needlessly pedantic, but this is... untrue

Ok, you are right. If I had a cat and it was walking on my keyboard, I'd be dead.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:35

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Why? With 196 HP I am guaranteed to live no matter what. AC 8/EV 21 is just a nice bonus, I don't count on it.
I would put "My Gr has AC 70 and EV 30, it cannot die" into Famous last words thread instead, especially since Gr has 199 HP at most...

Playing warrior as Gargoyles, once passed D:8, I can definitely vanquish almost everything until 15 runes with just o,tab,5 and rarely other keys.
With Ogres of course I cannot.

I wouldn't be the only one who think like this.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:43

papilio wrote:Playing warrior as Gargoyles, once passed D:8, I can definitely vanquish almost everything until 15 runes with just o,tab,5 and rarely other keys.

Let's not forget how most characters die, especially ones played by good players. They don't die slowly to attrition getting hit for 5 damage multiple times, they die to damage spikes and here I prefer to be an ogre with huge HP. It's somewhat similar to "casters vs melee". It's easier to play melee for new players and casters cannot kill everything with tab but they become more powerful than melee when played by experienced player.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 01:08

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
papilio wrote:Playing warrior as Gargoyles, once passed D:8, I can definitely vanquish almost everything until 15 runes with just o,tab,5 and rarely other keys.

Let's not forget how most characters die, especially ones played by good players. They don't die slowly to attrition getting hit for 5 damage multiple times, they die to damage spikes and here I prefer to be an ogre with huge HP. It's somewhat similar to "casters vs melee". It's easier to play melee for new players and casters cannot kill everything with tab but they become more powerful than melee when played by experienced player.

Well, don't forget that low AC and low EV does increase the number and degree of the damage spikes, so even in your paradigm (where you can always escape, and more hps lowers the frequency of death from spikes) low AC and low EV does increase likelihood of death somewhat.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 03:06

Siegurt wrote:Well, don't forget that low AC and low EV does increase the number and degree of the damage spikes, so even in your paradigm (where you can always escape, and more hps lowers the frequency of death from spikes) low AC and low EV does increase likelihood of death somewhat.

I liked how you used "somewhat" here. Isn't it close to "not important","not a big deal" etc. Or did I use wrong wording and it has different meaning in English?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 03:12

Re: Remove Ogre M&F Aptitude

I can try to prove that defenses are not important yet:
TrFi who trained Fighting to 27 first, then UC to 27 having something like AC 15, EV 9 and still didn't have any problems in Lair.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17412&p=239470
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Friday, 16th December 2016, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 03:13

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Well, don't forget that low AC and low EV does increase the number and degree of the damage spikes, so even in your paradigm (where you can always escape, and more hps lowers the frequency of death from spikes) low AC and low EV does increase likelihood of death somewhat.

I liked how you used "somewhat" here. Isn't it close to "not important","not a big deal" etc. Or did I use wrong wording and it has different meaning in English?

"somewhat" is more than "not important" but less than "significant"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 03:16

Ok, defenses are never meaningless, just not that important with huge HP.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 04:20

you can have both, though

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 05:24

Not with Ogre.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 05:47

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Not with Ogre.

Large shield tho.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 06:14

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I can try to prove that defenses are not important yet:
TrFi who trained Fighting to 27 first, then UC to 27 having something like AC 15, EV 9 and still didn't have any problems in Lair.

That's because Tr has extremely good regen rate.
The real problem of having low AC+EV is that you cannot do combats for long,
because the damages stack up and Crawl lack an immediate-full-restore panic button (except Borgnjor).
Troll's regen rate offsets some portion of this problem.

You would say "Hey, then you can always stop the battle and run to upstair or anywhere else!"
But that's simply not always the case.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 10:59

Blink allies encircling with constriction and nagarajas cancelling your tele attempts. Add slow for the extra fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 15:30

stickyfingers wrote:

Blink allies encircling with constriction and nagarajas cancelling your tele attempts. Add slow for the extra fun.

Notice I was saying "yet", having this specific situation in mind (among other things like Vault Sentinel and packs of ugly things)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 03:05

OTOH, new ogres do make for really good transmuters.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 13:12

Siegurt wrote:OTOH, new ogres do make for really good transmuters.

Isn't it a worse version of TrTm, or is -1 transmutations and -1 earth magic(for statue,I assume) that good?
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 15:26

papilio wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:I can try to prove that defenses are not important yet:

That's because Tr has extremely good regen rate.
The real problem of having low AC+EV is that you cannot do combats for long,
because the damages stack up and Crawl lack an immediate-full-restore panic button (except Borgnjor).
Troll's regen rate offsets some portion of this problem.

You would say "Hey, then you can always stop the battle and run to upstair or anywhere else!"
But that's simply not always the case.

I don't see any difference between losing 5 HP per turn with 50 max HP character and 10 HP per turn with 100 max HP character, you still are going to die in 10 turns. I prefer the latter because it makes you better vs damage spikes. You can avoid all fights in D, L and O unless you are extremely unlucky with teleportation sources, huge HP pool allows to survive dangerous situations easily.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 22:50

Vajrapani wrote:
Siegurt wrote:OTOH, new ogres do make for really good transmuters.

Isn't it a worse version of TrTm, or is -1 transmutations and -1 earth magic(for statue,I assume) that good?

Well, trolls are just flat out better than nuOgres, however a TrTm plays a lot like any other troll, tear things up with claws, mostly ignore magic, because you just don't need it and it is expensive, you could argue that a troll anything is better than an ogre, because you just play trolls like a troll no matter what background.

NuOgres at least derive some substantial benefit from training transmutations, they aren't any worse than any other race at unarmed, already can't use most of the equipment that most races lose access to when transmuted and have a big pile of hps to buff the transmuted forms, and get cheap fighting skill.

That is to say, if i want to play a transmuter and use transmuter spells, nuOgre is now a pretty good choice, race-wise. I probably wouldn't bother with spells as a troll, at least not until very late.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2016, 01:22

trolls were just flat out better than old ogres too

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2016, 18:59

High aptitudes in a specific weapon type are only a "no-brainer" when not taking into account loot generation. If you get a very excellent Axe artifact that is highly unlikely to be bested by a mace then there is in fact a fairly significant and not easy decision to be made.

However in practice this situation is fairly rare and people start a character with a specific weapon path in mind when they do certain species (humans and other even apt species can afford to leave it open to early drops).

There is nothing wrong with have certain species tend toward preferring certain types of weapons. Rather than removing flavor in the species it would probably be better to address any issues of "no-brainers" with loot generation.

For this message the author severen has received thanks: 2
papilio, Vajrapani
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner